Sponsored

*Done* with the Eco platform... I think.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
99.5% certainty you spun a bearing and that's why it locked up. This is the unfortunate reality of replacing a head gasket in the later stages of failure. If any coolant touches the bearings AT ALL it drastically shortens their life, especially in a performance application like this. Always get a new shortblock if you can.

Sorry this happened though, it really sucks to deal with this type of issue on a modern car. You do have to laugh at the irony of the car waiting until you filled it up for it to break though. Seems like that always happens, lol.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Did you happen to fill it with 87 octane? I would never use 87 on a turbo car. also lugging engines is bad so if you were lugging it up a hill , and on 87 octane , I wouldnt be too surprised with this outcome.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Did you happen to fill it with 87 octane? I would never use 87 on a turbo car. also lugging engines is bad so if you were lugging it up a hill , and on 87 octane , I wouldnt be too surprised with this outcome.
That’s just not true. Stock tune handles 87 just the same as 93 in terms of health. Just weakens.
If you’re tuned it needs 91-93

but stock tune runs just fine on87.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
That’s just not true. Stock tune handles 87 just the same as 93 in terms of health. Just weakens.
If you’re tuned it needs 91-93

but stock tune runs just fine on87.
Pretty sure its only weaker because the knock sensors are working hard and retarding the timing because its detecting knock which is not good.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Pretty sure its only weaker because the knock sensors are working hard and retarding the timing because its detecting knock which is not good.
The knock detection process and timing pull happens pretty quick though, it's not like it will keep knocking constantly even after it applies the correction.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The knock detection process and timing pull happens pretty quick though, it's not like it will keep knocking constantly even after it applies the correction.
Unless it was learned 93, and you filled with terrible 87 water filled fuel and wot repetitively. Don’t think even then anything will happen

it happens real time. Like he said.Stock tune leaves quite a bit of room for error.

afyermwrket tune would go boom.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
No, you're wrong and the "dingbat" here. The second major incident is directly related to you incorrectly identifying the bad head gasket when you first noticed hard starting and "smoke" from the exhaust. Everything since then you have brought on yourself.

Unfortunately, since your engine has unsurprisingly failed catastrophically, your most cost effective option is to find a low mileage used EB engine and swap it in. They can usually be found for around $3k.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have never owned a Ford EB, but I have owned several other turbo engines and the symptoms you described initially would cause me to have the engine rebuilt or the short block replaced.

OP
OP
Ferazza

Ferazza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost, Race Red
Update.

hooo boy:

So, the engine has catastrophic failure. It needs a proper postmortem to diagnose, but the long short of it is that we've bought a new engine as a replacement. The shop says the intake cam will spin but the exhaust cam isn't moving. The mechanic went so far as to wonder if maybe the cam had self-welded to the cylinder head, but it's more likely that somehow the timing chain jumped a tooth and started a chain reaction of doom.

Lort.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sucks to hear but when I read flames coming from turbo I would’ve grounded the car indefinitely. I would’ve grounded it at the first sign of HG trouble.

Best of luck getting it on the road again.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4
This is false, with DI there is a lot more control when fuel enters the combustion chamber vs port injection. Your knock sensors aren't going into overdrive running 87 octane on a stock tune.

Even on my roush tune on my F150 3.5 eco I can still run 87 without issue.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I just did a skim read of this posting. And I would guess it's a head gasket that gave up. The white smoke is you are trying to burn anti freeze. This is a very typical condition in 4 cylinder failures. I had two different 4 cylinder engines suffer this exact fate. I feel they work too hard to provide power and eventually you pay the price. SHBAV8
Sponsored