Sponsored

What do you think about GT/Ecoboost/V6 Mustangs with stripes? Poseurish? Tacky?

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
My car is a base 2020 GT. I've done a ton of mods (by my standards) since buying it, nearly making it a PP2 minus the Magneride...visually, it's pretty tame with dark wheels and OEM only spoilers, etc.

So I really like the optional "racing stripes" and I have only ever seen ONE car in person with that option. The asymmetrical design really catches my eye...and the fact that they are a factory option makes them slightly less wild. I'm seriously thinking about buying a set and installing them myself...I just really enjoy looking at them.

I just don't quite have a sense for how the come off to outside observers...and I'm not going to lie and say that it's not a factor in my decision. :)

First, do stripes belong on a non-"special" Mustang? My dad has a Shelby GT500 and they absolutely belong on that car...but on a base GT? Seems like it might come off as trying too hard??

To this point, stripes or anything "flashy" has never been my style. I don't need to be noticed, I don't crave attention. I don't hate it, I just don't need it. This is one of those mods that makes a statement, I'm really not sure what that statement is to everyone else....so any input is appreciated in helping with this decision!

1635348831688.png

61D96609-1E6F-469F-972B-8A95FB04722B.jpeg
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
With your car the factory stripes would be either black or white, right? Would be hard to see black, and personally I'm not crazy about the white with the dark blue.

My vote would be go to bigworm graphics and see if you can get a set of replica GT350 stripes, the black with red pinstripe. Always loved that combo on the blue 350's.

Last edited:

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What you've outlined somewhat echos many of my own thoughts about stripes.

It all comes down to personal preference - Nobody's really to say what should and should not go on your car, stripes being no different. Your money, your car, your decision.

However, goes without saying that there's value in asking for opinions, like you are here. FWIW:
I bias toward not having stripes. As a DD car, I like that the car somewhat does not call too much attention to itself. I also chose a dark colour for that reason. Comments and chat from strangers at the parking lot or gas station or in traffic are nice, but on a DD car, I'm not looking to stand out like that personally. If I were to do stripes, on a non-shelby like my own PP2 though, I'd do something subtle, which still aligns with my own subtle aesthetic. On black, I'd do like a graphite or dark grey double stripe. However, when I think about it, I end up not pulling the trigger because I realize I love it more without.

Another thing to consider is stripe maintenance - there's always a little extra maintenance (edges may lift, etc.) and if not PPF wrapped over, stone chips can tear out tiny little spots of stripe. A bright stripe on a dark colour, this will be more obvious to see.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Here's my thoughts, if you want stripes get them. In my younger years, I too cared what others thought about me. Now at 43 I only care about my loved ones and friends think. I don't care what every "Joe Blow" think is cool or the "correct" mods someone can put on THEIR vehicle.

Do they pay for the car? the maintenance? the mods you've already put on? No they don't, so make yourself happy. It's not worth your time to worry what others think.

Deleted member 35644

You paid for the car. You know what you like. It's not for anyone else to pass judgement on a statement of your personal taste. Get the stripes if you like them. Who cares if its a base GT?

I just put a tri-bar emblem on my V6 trunk panel, installed a 50th Anniversary grille, and swapped out my cloth interior with leather take-offs from a GT. Think I care what anyone thinks of that? Not even a little. Well.....honestly it's nice to get compliments, but anyone that doesn't like it can kick rocks.

Make the car yours. In fact, I'll judge you for not doing it. :giggle:

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
As others have said, it's your car. Go with what you are comfortable with. My car is black. No stripes. I prefer it blend in on the highway.

its_me_walt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Vert
to each their own, i removed mine as soon as i brought it home.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
To many Mustangs sporting stripes ... like them just not on my car. Want aggressive, no flash, 11.0 rim, 4 coreners will do it .

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I like them when they are less "flashy". In other words, when they blind in more then stand out. For instance what @oneheadlite posted above is spot on. Its a nice little addition that is not over the top. That stripe you posted is pretty damn cool, however that white on that blue...youche. I'd say if you're going to do it, do a darker color for the stripe and maybe thinner accent stripes in a "brighter" color if you wanted. But as others have said. Its your car man, who cares what us internet knuckle heads think, as long as you're happy with it.

Sponsored

Tucaz520

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1973 mach 1, 2021 GT
...to each his own............:like:

IMG_0467.JPG
what size in the red on your stripe? i have a grabber yellow with satin black stripe im thinking of adding a gloss black pinstripe on the outside but cant determine what size to go with. I was thinking 1/2 inch.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
what size in the red on your stripe? i have a grabber yellow with satin black stripe im thinking of adding a gloss black pinstripe on the outside but cant determine what size to go with. I was thinking 1/2 inch.
...it is 1/4 inch.......:thumbsup:

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
As others have said, it's yours, do what you want. I've got an EcoBoost and think the silver/gray stripe available as a stock option match the blue perfectly - slightly subdued while a nice touch... white would be too "loud"for me. I personally think a plain-Jane Mustang with no emblems or stripes is, well, kinda plain-Jane.
Sebring Track Photo.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said, it's yours, do what you want. I've got an EcoBoost and think the silver/gray stripe available as a stock option match the blue perfectly - slightly subdued while a nice touch... white would be too "loud"for me. I personally think a plain-Jane Mustang with no emblems or stripes is, well, kinda plain-Jane.
Sebring Track Photo.jpg

Blue & silver goes well together, nobody posted wiping the car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I do like how stripes look with certain colors. I haven't done them in the past, partially because I try not to have a flashy car. I have impulse control issues at time and a flashy car could cause problems for me.

The thing that really sealed it for me is the cost and fragility (is that a word?) of the vinyl stock Mustang stripes. Too much money for something so easy to damage.
Sponsored