Sponsored

Think I know the Answer

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
I think I know the answer to this just haven't had the time to try it out so I figured I would turn to my friends here on 6g.

I recently installed the steeda subframe braces and vertical links.

Yesterday, and let me preface by saying I normally drive in Sport+, I revved the car to about 3k, dumped the clutch and the car still wheel hopped pretty bad. Im ASSUMING its because traction control isn't fully defeated in Sport+ and it was kicking in to try and maintain traction.

That said Im assuming, attempting the same thing with traction off or in track mode would result in something totally different
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Wheel hop is related to many other things like tire pressure, suspension setup.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Ive taken it easy for the first 9-10 months of ownership, always assuming I had this incredible tire roasting horsepower on tap. Just never really going all out with a high reving brutal takeoff with the traction control off. In the past few months as I became interested in the gt350 and watched some test drives which included launches, I was not too impressed. So I just had to know if my own gt had the same short chirpy whell hop launch as the others. Sure enough it did. Ive heard many opinions and I would have to agree that there is really no useable low end torque to overpower the grip of tires and weight of chassis. I know this thread isnt about smokin tires. Wheel hop does take alot of the fun out launches though. Ive decided not to battle it and drive the gt for the speed and handling im happy with.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Ive taken it easy for the first 9-10 months of ownership, always assuming I had this incredible tire roasting horsepower on tap. Just never really going all out with a high reving brutal takeoff with the traction control off. In the past few months as I became interested in the gt350 and watched some test drives which included launches, I was not too impressed. So I just had to know if my own gt had the same short chirpy whell hop launch as the others. Sure enough it did. Ive heard many opinions and I would have to agree that there is really no useable low end torque to overpower the grip of tires and weight of chassis. I know this thread isnt about smokin tires. Wheel hop does take alot of the fun out launches though. Ive decided not to battle it and drive the gt for the speed and handling im happy with.
A lot of that wheelp hop/tire spin is related to the 3.73 gears in your PP. They pull very hard and it is one of the reasons people switch to 3.15 when going FI.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Did you replace your rear springs ? I am thinking you have too soft rear springs.

Sponsored

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
I think I know the answer to this just haven't had the time to try it out so I figured I would turn to my friends here on 6g.

I recently installed the steeda subframe braces and vertical links.

Yesterday, and let me preface by saying I normally drive in Sport+, I revved the car to about 3k, dumped the clutch and the car still wheel hopped pretty bad. Im ASSUMING its because traction control isn't fully defeated in Sport+ and it was kicking in to try and maintain traction.

That said Im assuming, attempting the same thing with traction off or in track mode would result in something totally different
So attempt the same thing with traction and stability control off, and let us know how it goes? I'm interested in eliminating the wheel hop also. Took it to the track last week, and couldn't get a single decent launch. I won't be going back until I can eliminate it. I thought there were some bushings that help eliminate wheel hop?

OP
OP

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
springs are changed as well...Eibach pro kit. Looking to try later today. Obviously to a previous point a lot of different factors will go into it, including road surface. I am going to see if I can get to the same spot I was and try with traction off.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I revved the car to about 3k, dumped the clutch and the car still wheel hopped pretty bad. Im ASSUMING its because traction control isn't fully defeated in Sport+ and it was kicking in to try and maintain traction.
Partially.

In sport+ if you try and do a clutch dump, you will get spin, but you will also get traction control kicking in to reduce power and stop the wheels from spinning.

This varying amount of power can be difficult for the suspension to deal with and can cause wheel hop.

When I did my rear sub frame brace, wheel hop was reduced 70% from what it was, but I still had it from time to time.

When I got rid of the crappy p-zeros, it went away even more.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
So attempt the same thing with traction and stability control off, and let us know how it goes? I'm interested in eliminating the wheel hop also. Took it to the track last week, and couldn't get a single decent launch. I won't be going back until I can eliminate it. I thought there were some bushings that help eliminate wheel hop?
I think these are the ones you are referring to:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-irs-sub-frame-bushing-support-system-2015-555-4437/

They look good, but I have not pushed my car enough to need it. May consider them in the future, planning to tune/CAI and exhaust after my warranty is up.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have owned my PP GT since February 2016 and have 2700 miles. I have installed Eibach Sportline springs, UPR vertical links, Steeda sub frame braces, IRS alignment spacers, Sub frame support bushing inserts (mentioned above) and Poly diff bushings to try and eliminate this dreaded wheel hop and yet its still present.. not as bad as stock but still there some what..

Also have the tranny Poly insert as well. LOL

Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
This is so strange as I've got a 100% as-delivered '16 GT base and it has zero wheel hop. MT, 3.31 gears. Just gotta make sure the traction control is fully off, rev it up and dump the clutch. Burnout city.

Meanwhile, my friends' '15 Ecoboost wheelhops so violently, it feels like driving a '64 Rambler with a 327 Chev in it.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
The stock P Zeros are the cause of a lot of the wheel hop you're feeling. With different tires most of it will go away. As far as your subframe brace, that should help tremendously. I'm a fan of BMR's design a little more than Steeda, but they should both work well. There's a lot of factors that go into wheel hop, but also, dumping the clutch from 3k isn't enough to full on do a burnout. The tires are fighting for traction. Learn to ride the clutch for a smoother and faster launch, or dump the clutch higher for a real burnout. Traction control will kill power, not cause wheel hop. Clutch protection is a factor also.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
The stock P Zeros are the cause of a lot of the wheel hop you're feeling. With different tires most of it will go away. As far as your subframe brace, that should help tremendously. I'm a fan of BMR's design a little more than Steeda, but they should both work well. There's a lot of factors that go into wheel hop, but also, dumping the clutch from 3k isn't enough to full on do a burnout. The tires are fighting for traction. Learn to ride the clutch for a smoother and faster launch, or dump the clutch higher for a real burnout. Traction control will kill power, not cause wheel hop. Clutch protection is a factor also.
Agreed. Suspension and get rid of the pirelli's.
Sponsored