Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Diesel Mustang LOL! I bought my 2019 new. It wasn't this loud when I first got it. This is the noise it makes when it begins to warm up and it's just as loud when hot. It's more quiet when stone cold. Seems to get worse as time goes on. Seriously thinking to inspect the cylinder walls. Or deactivate each cylinder one at a time to isolate the noise.
I purchased my 2020 new and the noise didn't show up until about 700km mark. It has been evolving over time to the point where I'm accepting the fact the engine has to be replaced or I sell it and take a loss.i have isolated it and although there is a tsb 20-2023 for it stating no long or short term damage will occur my experience is that isn't true in my case.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The darkened area corisponds with the piston coating. Doesn't show well but Its the cylinder in question. BTW when you cancel that cyl the noise reduces/goes away, only happens with cyl 3.

20210408150218.jpg
That doesn't look bad at all.

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
That doesn't look bad at all.
No it doesn't, it's what I have to show right now, my camera with pics of streaking are at work. However this is cylinder 3, the one with the noise. The others aren't showing an imprint of the coating. It's just a small piece of the puzzle. That photo was taken at 3000kms BTW.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Sounds like rod knock on both videos, not piston slap.

Further, the beautiful cross hatch in that cylinder pic indicates nothing wrong w that cylinder.

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Sounds like rod knock on both videos, not piston slap.

Further, the beautiful cross hatch in that cylinder pic indicates nothing wrong w that cylinder.
Yes, cross hatch is good in that Pic but in others I've got streaking that is hard to tell (from the glare iof the camera light) if it's cutting through the cross hatch.
It's definitely not rod knock. Rod knock doesn't dissappear when hot. Rod knock increases in frequency and severity with the rise and fall of rpm, this does not.
Thanks anyway.

Sponsored

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
The direct injection pump is noisy and is usually driven off of a extra lobe on a cam shaft iirc. In some cars that have a cam driven HPFP the tappet in them can make noise like that when warming up or if the tappet is out of spec a bit. most DI cars sound like a diesel at idle fwiw.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
FWiW, I have some of the knocking sound on mine that starts after a cold start-up (maybe a minute or two after starting). It fades after warmed up, but is still present until I drive away. After driving and everything is hot, the idle is quiet and the knocking sound is gone. Car runs fine so I don't concern myself with it.

Put it on a dyno and see how it does.

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
I'm not hearing anything wrong to be honest. Most of these engines sound like shit if you aren't behind the car or above 3k rpm lol
So yours sounds like the clips as well?

OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
FWiW, I have some of the knocking sound on mine that starts after a cold start-up (maybe a minute or two after starting). It fades after warmed up, but is still present until I drive away. After driving and everything is hot, the idle is quiet and the knocking sound is gone. Car runs fine so I don't concern myself with it.

Put it on a dyno and see how it does.
So mine this summer now stays clacking when hot (at a lesser degree) which it didn't do for the 1st 8000kms.If the noise remained the same I'd live with it but if it's changing at only 14000 kms it indicates a degrading issue.
And as a tech it sounds like a problem. I believe most mustangs don't have this noise to the extent others do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Milton

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
The direct injection pump is noisy and is usually driven off of a extra lobe on a cam shaft iirc. In some cars that have a cam driven HPFP the tappet in them can make noise like that when warming up or if the tappet is out of spec a bit. most DI cars sound like a diesel at idle fwiw.
The DI pump noise is also there and not an issue. If it was a DI pump noise I wouldn't be bothered in fact I was hoping it was.
If it was the clearance between the DI pump tappet and cam lobe the noise would not dissappear when a cylinder was deactivated.

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
So mine this summer now stays clacking when hot (at a lesser degree) which it didn't do for the 1st 8000kms.If the noise remained the same I'd live with it but if it's changing at only 14000 kms it indicates a degrading issue.
And as a tech it sounds like a problem. I believe most mustangs don't have this noise to the extent others do.
Well good luck - I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
It's a gamble, might end up with the same noise if not worse. 😐
For me, the gamble is: Do I continue to live with it, not have Ford investigate/repair it while under warranty, or continue to drive it and have it break after warranty.
@Milton you've got lots of warranty time left to figure it out. For me not so much. Today the car goes away for the winter. I've got until May of next year to make a warranty claim.
I'm going to do everything I can to diagnose it myself or come to terms with it the way it is because letting those dealership grease monkey's touch my car is the last option.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Yes, cross hatch is good in that Pic but in others I've got streaking that is hard to tell (from the glare iof the camera light) if it's cutting through the cross hatch.
It's definitely not rod knock. Rod knock doesn't dissappear when hot. Rod knock increases in frequency and severity with the rise and fall of rpm, this does not.
Thanks anyway.
Well, sounds like youre the expert I suppose. How many coyote's have you had apart?

Good luck fella
Sponsored