Sponsored

Do you create problems if use wheel spacers?

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Literally everything :) I'm on OEM Wheel Hubs, with some cheap closed lug nuts (not from Ford). My APEX wheels are ET26/ET52 so I don't use spacers. Still both front and rear lug nuts lose torque after track days with is to be expected considering I'm overheating R12 front pads and boiling brake fluid every day.
several questions/comments:

1) you set torque stone cold and re check stone cold?

2) have you cleaned your studs and lugnuts with carb cleaner recently? I find it really makes a difference in how the lugnuts feel at full torque.

3) please go to arp studs if you havenā€™t already. I broke too many OEM studs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rocsteady

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Literally everything :) I'm on OEM Wheel Hubs, with some cheap closed lug nuts (not from Ford). My APEX wheels are ET26/ET52 so I don't use spacers. Still both front and rear lug nuts lose torque after track days with is to be expected considering I'm overheating R12 front pads and boiling brake fluid every day.
Might I suggest starting your own thread if you wish to continue about your hub problems that have nothing to do with using spacers, which is what this thread is addressing. The group has a lot of advice for you on what may or may not be causing your issues, but this thread really isnā€™t the place for that conversation. Thank you in advance as I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Might I suggest starting your own thread if you wish to continue about your hub problems that have nothing to do with using spacers, which is what this thread is addressing. The group has a lot of advice for you on what may or may not be causing your issues, but this thread really isnā€™t the place for that conversation. Thank you in advance as I would really appreciate it.
The problem with Using spacers for me is as @dana said that you can broke the studs. This is not cool when driving on track. Not sure how often this happens on a Mustang but I have seen it a lot at the local race track.

Run over a curb suspension issues

This is the old thread for the issue that you quoted. Regarding Wheel Hubs I don't have issues because I always check my Lug Nuts didn't have a wheel hub related issue since 22.06.2021.

OP
OP
rocsteady

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The problem with Using spacers for me is as @dana said that you can broke the studs. This is not cool when driving on track. Not sure how often this happens on a Mustang but I have seen it a lot at the local race track.

Run over a curb suspension issues

This is the old thread for the issue that you quoted. Regarding Wheel Hubs I don't have issues because I always check my Lug Nuts didn't have a wheel hub related issue since 22.06.2021.
Gotcha

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS

Thatā€™s surprising. Have you tried more heat tolerant pads? Air deflectors for brake cooling? High temp brake fluid?

EDIT:

To get ba k on topicā€¦.
Slip on spacers with quality studs where all the interfaces are hubcentric. Not a problem on track.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I've used 5 mm spacers on many cars, i.e. 2019 GT350, C7 Corvette Z06. Never a problem and always used stock lugs. Of course as you go longer other factors become critical.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I run OPMustang studs, nuts, and spacers, on 19x11 ET52 square. I've broken 1 wheel stud which I believe was self induced through running a set of non-hub centric wheels on 30mm spacers and regular mounting/dismounting with an impact. Aluminum hub centric rings cured this. Zero issues with wheel torque at 100ft/lb. R18/R12 pad combo.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I run OPMustang studs, nuts, and spacers, on 19x11 ET52 square. I've broken 1 wheel stud which I believe was self induced through running a set of non-hub centric wheels on 30mm spacers and regular mounting/dismounting with an impact. Aluminum hub centric rings cured this. Zero issues with wheel torque at 100ft/lb. R18/R12 pad combo.
I should steal this for an ad šŸ˜†

OP
OP
rocsteady

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I guess along the same lines, what determines how much torque you use, the wheels or the studs? I should know this I'm sure, but I'm thinking what do I use with the MMR wheels I'm going to be using with the Optimum Performance extended studs with either the MMR provided studs or the open lug nuts I got from Ford Performance.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I guess along the same lines, what determines how much torque you use, the wheels or the studs? I should know this I'm sure, but I'm thinking what do I use with the MMR wheels I'm going to be using with the Optimum Performance extended studs with either the MMR provided studs or the open lug nuts I got from Ford Performance.
The studs determine the torque values needed. Ford went to bigger studs on S550 so more torque is needed. Some folks think they know better and go lower than what Ford states (150 ft-lbs) and just because they havenā€™t yet had a problem justifies that they are correct. If you go aftermarket studs, they should have their own torque spec.

Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Just get the OP studs and nut combo. Then there's no guessing-- 100ft/lb and good to go.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
For folks that use slip on spacersā€¦

I would highly recommend re-applying anti-size compound (or whatever grease/elixir/potion you prefer) as we come back home from the track and scrub all the rubber and brake dust off our cars and wheels the anti size naturally washes off. This can lead to sticky spacers and rusty parts depending on the parts you use.

just my .02

OP
OP
rocsteady

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
If you have ever experienced a hub failure due to loose axle nuts it is.
Installed jam nuts from Optimum Performance today. Is this a normal amount of rust/corrosion in there? Before install:

1701806911163.jpeg

After installing jam nut:
1701806962256.jpeg

OP
OP
rocsteady

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Yeah, unless everything is painted rust is normal, this also comes from wheel cleaners, road salts, brake dust all contribute.
Thank you. I kinda suspected but I feel better now after getting a professional opinion.
Sponsored