Sponsored

How do you guys who use GoPros solve the problem of wind noise?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
My track videos are completely dominated by wind noise, which sucks half the fun out of watching them, AND makes it impossible for me to re-listen to what feedback the instructor may have had. Example:

[ame]

I have this external mic, and it didn't seem to make any difference with wind noise over the built-in mic, even with a foam wind screen... in fact I think it was even worse:
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-145037-ME-51S-Stereo-Microphone/dp/B000BTAH62

I'm thinking of buying one of these (has pretty good reviews, and apparently these "fur" style screens are the best for wind noise):
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Fur-Microphone-Windscreen-Medium/dp/B00NMUP6H2

I've heard other people go with powered mics, but is that really necessary? Seems like it will be more hassle and more expensive.

Thanks for the tips.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I run a mic to the back bumper just below the decklid.

First of all, I gotta say, wow. I hope I can shift and heel-toe as well as you some day, that looked incredible, especially for blue level... I'm still relatively new to a manual, but learning to use it properly (especially on a track) is harder than I expected. My poor clutch hates me.

Secondly, appreciate the suggestion, but I'd really like to keep the mic inside the cabin for now so that I can hear what my instructor says (although I probably won't have one in the car with me for very much longer). Plus, in most of the videos where I've seen the mic placed very near the exhaust, you can't really hear any tire squeal, which I think is fairly important sometimes.

Maybe I should just place it lower in the cabin...

Last edited:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
First of all, I gotta say, wow. I hope I can shift and heel-toe as well as you some day, that looked incredible... I'm still relatively new to a manual, but learning to use it properly (especially on a track) is harder than I expected. My poor clutch hates me.

Secondly, appreciate the suggestion, but I'd really like to keep the mic inside the cabin for now so that I can hear what my instructor says (although I probably won't have one in the car with me for very much longer). Plus, in most of the videos where I've seen the mic placed very near the exhaust, you can't really hear any tire squeal, which I think is fairly important sometimes.

Maybe I should just place it lower in the cabin...
You may want to try putting a mic up by the front windshield. I mount my phone there and it seems to be pretty immune to the wind. Plus it would be more likely to pick up conversation, since it would be in front of the people talking.

-T

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
mounted to the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror. If you had an instructor in the car, his voice would be projected right at it.
[ame]

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Back bumper as well.

[ame]