Do we actually "need" an oil cooler??

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
As a temporary set up, there’s no need to run into the cabin. You could cable tie the gauge onto a cable or bracket in the inner wing and connect to the battery positive. Of course, if you want to go permanent I would run the sender cable through the sound tube hole in the passenger footwell
Sound tube hole is a good idea with a grommet. Don't need the sound tube anyway. It is simply ridiculous.

As just a suggestion, you could temporarily tape the gauge to the hood near the rear edge so it's in the drivers view for testing. Not the most handsome set up, but it would allow you to collect the data that you are seeking.
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
As a temporary set up, there’s no need to run into the cabin. You could cable tie the gauge onto a cable or bracket in the inner wing and connect to the battery positive. Of course, if you want to go permanent I would run the sender cable through the sound tube hole in the passenger footwell
i've done that kind of thing before on a mid engined car where I black taped a gauge to the back window in a way i could see the display in the rear view mirror. That was just for sense checking something before i took apart the interior to run cables. This oil temperature thing though I want to run it for a while since it's either something to monitor throughout winter and then into summer or it'll prove after a few cold day runs that I need to get a cooler fitted and that's what a grand including fitting plus the 500mile round trip for a company to do it. Either way i need to see the gauge display so i can monitor it's movements. Aye, i'll spend some more effort proving either way whether needed before getting stuff together. I just cannot believe how difficult it is to get snizzle like this together. 30quid Bosch sensor, 500quid for the necessary CANBUS display to show the results or some random sensor and hope another analogue gauge reads the same scale. And who the fck fits capillary gauges these days ?

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Ok, just go to Demon Tweeks and buy a Stack gauge with sender. You will need an M16 to M10x1mm adapter. I would run the sender cable through the bulkhead where the sound tube goes and use the cigarette lighter for your power.
Failing that just get a cooler kit fitted and forget it? I am totally convinced these cars need a cooler, which is why I started this thread, to answer that very question. Reading some of the US track going threads it looks like the Coyote needs all it can get. I also saw a video on You Tube where a guy who raced was saying his RTR stage 2 road car gets “real hot, real fast” under any driving conditions.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
hopefully the newly ordered gauge kit will arrive in a couple of weeks then i can see about getting it fitted and then see what's happening and compare against your results. I'm sure it wont be that much different :(

If we need coolers then fine we need them but it's a fair few quid (though less than a broken engine) to have it done, esp now as I have to travel for fixes / modifications.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hopefully the newly ordered gauge kit will arrive in a couple of weeks then i can see about getting it fitted and then see what's happening and compare against your results. I'm sure it wont be that much different :(
Ill be interested to see if your findings are much different with a quality gauge fitted.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
so.................. i still haven't got the oil temperature gauge fitted but i at least have both it and the plate adaptor in my grubby paws and an appointment booked to get it fitted.

I also saw this thread with documents and thought it might be useful ?

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/technical-difference-of-the-mach-1-vs-gt.174058/

specifically post 3 technical specs, this for the oiling system - retro fit?
Oil system 9.5-litre capacity, Shelby GT350 air-to-oil cooler, bespoke engine oil filter adaptor

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
Oil system 9.5-litre capacity, Shelby GT350 air-to-oil cooler, bespoke engine oil filter adaptor
Part number is M-688152-CA which won’t be cheap. In addition you’ll still need an oil cooler radiator, hoses and somewhere to mount it. On the Mach 1 it’s situated behind the lower L/H opening of the front fascia but there’s no such opening on the GT.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Part number is M-688152-CA which won’t be cheap. In addition you’ll still need an oil cooler radiator, hoses and somewhere to mount it. On the Mach 1 it’s situated behind the lower L/H opening of the front fascia but there’s no such opening on the GT.
my thinking was using OEM parts but aye wont be straight fit nor cheap but then neither are the aftermarket kits or new engines (should the OEM UK GT cooler poop it's pants). Counting down til i get gauge fitted..

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Do you think that it would be possible to mount the GT350 oil cooler in the lower panel in front of the radiator parallel to the roadway on a GT?

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
so annoying (annoyed beyond words actually) my fitting today for the oil temperature gauge was killed in about 10 minutes when it was discovered my m16 adaptor was too short to fully seal in the mishimoto blanking plate. 1 maybe 1.5 turns on the thread before its base hit the blanking plate boss. Fck a duck. So, wasted trip bar the discovery below but a new adaptor (actually an M16 bolt with a longer thread which will get drilled and cut) has been ordered and yeah fitting will take place whenever it arrives / time allows

Had the Mishimoto plate and gauge delivered today. Made a video on my You Tube channel.
If you buy the plate, be sure to check the threaded plug in the base. Mine was literally finger tight!!
aye, barely held in with the rubber o-ring was how it was described to me this morning. Scunnered for sure

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
so annoying (annoyed beyond words actually) my fitting today for the oil temperature gauge was killed in about 10 minutes when it was discovered my m16 adaptor was too short to fully seal in the mishimoto blanking plate. 1 maybe 1.5 turns on the thread before its base hit the blanking plate boss. Fck a duck. So, wasted trip bar the discovery below but a new adaptor (actually an M16 bolt with a longer thread which will get drilled and cut) has been ordered and yeah fitting will take place whenever it arrives / time allows

aye, barely held in with the rubber o-ring was how it was described to me this morning. Scunnered for sure
OK, I am going to use scunnered. Absolutely fits our current situation.

Thank you, @raptorGT!

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd finally I have managed to get the oil temperature gauge hooked up and get some data. Now, this is a temporary solution and it's not for resale (esp since I messed up the design concept should have made it more rhd ie pointing towards driver (me) rather than worldwide point centre / center) so please forgive the abomination of positioning and er attachment but at least I can see while driving and hopefully it wont slide off the dash either! Note use of centre vents to hold microfibre cloth into position and hide the block of wood from the drivers eye line :facepalm:

Exec summary - we need a third person with a decent gauge to get another independent result as my Stack gauge did not peg the red (or anything near it).

Anyhow. So after fitting the gauge we warmed the car up and checked nothing was leaking from the sensor fitting at the engine. Nothing leaking. Let the car warm up a bit and check new gauge versus dash and as the dash oil temperature was going into the green, the new gauge was just moving off the 60degC marker and the infrared on the sump was 60degC also. So, on the road testing. I was cruising 60mph and the oil was just over 90degC, bumped the speed up to 70mph and oil was just over 90degC. Drove into private testing area and yeah managed to get oil temperature up above 110 maybe 115degC but that was getting on about and running out of runway, backed it off and the oil temperature came back down (not rapidly i have to say) to just over 90degC. Normal motorway running it stayed about 90degC BUT i had the gauge in the glovebox lid so it wasn't exactly in eyeline so was quick glances. Todays air temperature 8degC according to Sync 3

So first pic is after car had been sitting for 90 minutes or so after the drive home after fitting so this was just after startup for me going back out again.

IMG_20221202_135216_HDR.jpg

below pic is after getting home from shopping which was 50 and then into 30mph into residential crawl then stop at home, idling for 30 seconds. Notice the crude / casual modification using a cable tie to nudge the front of the gauge into more of an angle towards the driver... deary me.

IMG_20221202_145615_HDR.jpg

Further testing to be done but i am not seeing 120-130-140degC under anything like normal driving, not even close to those temperatures. Peak was just over 110degC WOT at the top of er yeah a lot of gear.

Again I profusely apologise not only for the delay in getting this snizzle hooked up but mainly for that gauge mounting solution. I hang my head in shame :blush: :blush:

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd finally I have managed to get the oil temperature gauge hooked up and get some data. Now, this is a temporary solution and it's not for resale (esp since I messed up the design concept should have made it more rhd ie pointing towards driver (me) rather than worldwide point centre / center) so please forgive the abomination of positioning and er attachment but at least I can see while driving and hopefully it wont slide off the dash either! Note use of centre vents to hold microfibre cloth into position and hide the block of wood from the drivers eye line :facepalm:

Exec summary - we need a third person with a decent gauge to get another independent result as my Stack gauge did not peg the red (or anything near it).

Anyhow. So after fitting the gauge we warmed the car up and checked nothing was leaking from the sensor fitting at the engine. Nothing leaking. Let the car warm up a bit and check new gauge versus dash and as the dash oil temperature was going into the green, the new gauge was just moving off the 60degC marker and the infrared on the sump was 60degC also. So, on the road testing. I was cruising 60mph and the oil was just over 90degC, bumped the speed up to 70mph and oil was just over 90degC. Drove into private testing area and yeah managed to get oil temperature up above 110 maybe 115degC but that was getting on about and running out of runway, backed it off and the oil temperature came back down (not rapidly i have to say) to just over 90degC. Normal motorway running it stayed about 90degC BUT i had the gauge in the glovebox lid so it wasn't exactly in eyeline so was quick glances. Todays air temperature 8degC according to Sync 3

So first pic is after car had been sitting for 90 minutes or so after the drive home after fitting so this was just after startup for me going back out again.

IMG_20221202_135216_HDR.jpg

below pic is after getting home from shopping which was 50 and then into 30mph into residential crawl then stop at home, idling for 30 seconds. Notice the crude / casual modification using a cable tie to nudge the front of the gauge into more of an angle towards the driver... deary me.

IMG_20221202_145615_HDR.jpg

Further testing to be done but i am not seeing 120-130-140degC under anything like normal driving, not even close to those temperatures. Peak was just over 110degC WOT at the top of er yeah a lot of gear.

Again I profusely apologise not only for the delay in getting this snizzle hooked up but mainly for that gauge mounting solution. I hang my head in shame :blush: :blush:
brilliant work!! So, we now have two completely differing tests?? So, if your test is accurate and mine is bollocks, we don’t need a cooler for everyday use? I would be more trustworthy of stack over my cheap thing.

mom not doing anything with mine atm. Too cold and damp plus I have a GR Yaris to play with now..

Think I need to buy a better temp gauge?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
brilliant work!! So, we now have two completely differing tests?? So, if your test is accurate and mine is bollocks, we don’t need a cooler for everyday use? I would be more trustworthy of stack over my cheap thing.

mom not doing anything with mine atm. Too cold and damp plus I have a GR Yaris to play with now..

Think I need to buy a better temp gauge?
true your gauge is a little more suspect re quality but with only two results and two completely different answers i dunno where that leaves us tbh. The one constant is we both used same pick up source for the sensors so yeah comes down to gauges / sensors. If you want to try a branded gauge and see what you get? Might help answer the question or worse case back up your original results. How rubbish would that be lol

One thing i need to do is run with the OEM dash oil temperature gauge and see how it moves in relation to the external oil temperature gauge. I've been using the CHT as it is more animated, you confirmed that it is actually hooked into the coolant passage yes and not the metal of the head? Its a real coolant sensor in that respect versus the rest of the inferred gauges ?

Need a third person to try with the oil cooler delete and a fourth person with the OEM cooler in place to try this.....

Yaris GR, very nice and on a normal road I'd wager faster than the Mustang. Overtaking grunt aside for when stuck behind camper vans, sharp handling and lightweight wins in the daily driving.
Sponsored