Direct injection

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would be interested as to why? I know that guys making big boy hp delete them and its fine. But it seems like if your under 1000 most people leave the DI.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Or how you would do this.
Very easy, turn it off in the tune and replace the port injectors with a 2017 model or
LU47's

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
2017 made 435 with 11:1 2018 is 460 with 12:1 the point is worth 4%
The point is worth 4% ? Lol. Total hp is 5.5% difference. Now, there's also a bigger camshaft. Bigger intake manifold. Bigger air intake. Going from 11:1 to 12:1 cr isn't the same as going from say 8:1 to 9:1 cr.

Last edited:

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Besides the small gains from 2017 to 2018 by allowing higher compression on the newer 5.0s the extra volume of fuel keeps the retirement lower for port injectors for simular power levels. That is my understanding from the tuner I use,, the 1050x injectors I have will support quite a bit more due to having a DI supplement. In addition, engineermike has gotten a larger DI pump and able to run higher boost levels with more DI on pump 93. That is a bit in the weeds for me, as E85 is plentiful here, but I do see many on here complain about the lack of e. Also, the procharger vendor that visits here spoke of some builds that were DI only that were rather high HP.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
How does disabling DI and running purely PI increase the lifespan of the valves?
As far as I know valve wear is not a problem with the coyote or any DI engine. In DI only engines carbon build up on valves is an issue, which would need periodic maintenance. Thankfully Ford split it up with both DI and port injection so carbon build up is not an issue.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I know valve wear is not a problem with the coyote or any DI engine. In DI only engines carbon build up on valves is an issue, which would need periodic maintenance. Thankfully Ford split it up with both DI and port injection so carbon build up is not an issue.
Well the fuel acts as a lubricant as well as a cleaning agent for the intake valve face/seat/stem. The valve guides & seals doesn't completely eliminate the oil.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Well the fuel acts as a lubricant as well as a cleaning agent for the intake valve face/seat/stem. The valve guides & seals doesn't completely eliminate the oil.
They have been using hardened valve seats since the mid 70's

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They have been using hardened valve seats since the mid 70's
I'm not talking leaded vs unleaded vs valve seats.

Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
How does disabling DI and running purely PI increase the lifespan of the valves?

And do valves wear out that quickly that a change in fueling can result in a measurable difference in lifespan?
DI causes carbon build up on valves. No stats are out on gen 3 as they are still relatovely new so caution ought to be advised.

I myself am debating if I should trade in my Gen 2 for a brand new Gen 3. The same dealer is willing to buy my car back at a few hundred dollars than what I paid for and my credit score gets me 0% APR so I'd sit at over half the car's value on an interest free loan. The DI is what worries me because I like owning cars for as long as possible.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
DI causes carbon build up on valves. No stats are out on gen 3 as they are still relatovely new so caution ought to be advised.

I myself am debating if I should trade in my Gen 2 for a brand new Gen 3. The same dealer is willing to buy my car back at a few hundred dollars than what I paid for and my credit score gets me 0% APR so I'd sit at over half the car's value on an interest free loan. The DI is what worries me because I like owning cars for as long as possible.
If the math works out in your favor that well that's a no brainer IMO. DI isn't a new technology, VW and Audi has been using it since the early 2000's at this point. I personally don't have any concern about it lasting the expected life of the vehicle, if the oil changes are done on time (since the pump is cam driven).

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST

DI doesn't cause any valve buildup in itself. It removed the port injector which actually keeps the valves clean. If you have both, you get the benefits of both without any drawbacks.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
DI only causes carbon build up if it's the only fueling system (eg. lack of PI to clean the valves). Given the Gen 3 Coyote has both DI and PI, it doesn't have the same issues as those engines with solely DI (like the Audi engines that are notorious for cabon build it).
Sponsored