Sponsored

Did anyone ever do a Perf Pack 2 vs 1LE test?

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Honestly, I don't this is surprising to anybody. Testing out the PP2 with no diff or trans coolers in the middle of summer is asking for a 1 lap wondermobile. The car will likely do just find in late fall...but it is an epic fail that Ford didn't at least include a diff cooler. I can understand the PP1, but everyone knew this was going to happen with the PP2.

It's not here because no one seems to have a subscription to Road and Track. I'm sure the bitch fest will begin shortly in a new thread once word catches on.
I haven't seen the R&T August issue at stores by me... Maybe it's the stores; however, I am curious to read it myself to see exactly what was said.
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Frankly it sounds like the PP2 was barely approved and the bean counters at Ford had to be dragged kicking and screaming to allow it. Shelby owners/buyers are their cash cow and I'm sure their fragile egos would be wounded if a mere GT got that close.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yes, the lack of diff (and trans) cooler is a fail. I guess I hadn’t looked closely enough at PP2 content to realize that was the case. To me, the more disappointing thing is for Ford to basically shrug their shoulders and say “we never meant for it to be a track car” and “if you want a track car we have Shelby”. That’s paraphrasing, but those were the messages. I still don’t get the idea of making track focused suspension changes and throw in the most track focused tires that I know of and then say it was never intended for the track.
The MT-82 (unlike the t56) has a significant amount of exterior cooling fins and as such, I don't think cooling is nearly as critical as the diff.

It sounds like the skunk works were tied with such a shoestring budget that the bean-counters just simply wouldn't allow adding an option that would likely cost Ford $500/vehicle (which they could have easily charged for). It's too bad really.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Frankly it sounds like the PP2 was barely approved and the bean counters at Ford had to be dragged kicking and screaming to allow it. Shelby owners/buyers are their cash cow and I'm sure their fragile egos would be wounded if a mere GT got that close.
You are right. I can tell you my ego will probably never recover.

And yeah, a limited production vehicle buyer is a "cash cow". Ford doesn't make any money selling 80,000-100,000 Mustangs per year, but they make lots of dough on their sales of 6,000 or so GT350s. :crazy:

I agree with the others posting their disappointment that coolers were left off the PP2. It doesn't surprise me a whole lot, since Ford left coolers off my GT350 (the most track capable Mustang ever). Seems Ford really hates to include coolers and they are counting every single penny. Such a shame when Ford already has a proven solution that they can't include it or at least make it an option.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You are right. I can tell you my ego will probably never recover.

And yeah, a limited production vehicle buyer is a "cash cow". Ford doesn't make any money selling 80,000-100,000 Mustangs per year, but they make lots of dough on their sales of 6,000 or so GT350s. :crazy:

I agree with the others posting their disappointment that coolers were left off the PP2. It doesn't surprise me a whole lot, since Ford left coolers off my GT350 (the most track capable Mustang ever). Seems Ford really hates to include coolers and they are counting every single penny. Such a shame when Ford already has a proven solution that they can't include it or at least make it an option.
At some point in time you think they’d learn from the bad press.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Seems Ford really hates to include coolers and they are counting every single penny. Such a shame when Ford already has a proven solution that they can't include it or at least make it an option.
If it _is_ really just penny pinching (and not some concern over product cannibalism ...), then make a Ford Performance cooler kit, add the extra/beefier components, and make it part of the cars warranty if installed by an authorized Ford dealer.

They save money, people get a better car on their own dime, it's more capable ...

... and the Bowtie fanatics can still lay claim to the 1LE being better "OEM stock" :D

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The MT-82 (unlike the t56) has a significant amount of exterior cooling fins and as such, I don't think cooling is nearly as critical as the diff.

It sounds like the skunk works were tied with such a shoestring budget that the bean-counters just simply wouldn't allow adding an option that would likely cost Ford $500/vehicle (which they could have easily charged for). It's too bad really.
Except that transmission was developed under an economy midset (fluid capacity and splash lube capability). You can rummage through Getrag's technical papers and articles that talks about the transmission the MT-82 was derived from (sorry, as I forget what it is called). Read into the original Boss 302S development by Tiger Racing. I've also logged transmission temperatures on the MT-82's (two of them) just on summer daily driving - consistent temperatures 210-220F+.

The Tremec transmissions are designed with durability and performance in mind. This includes the TR6060 and TR3160. The bearings, bearing/cluster gear support and splash lube are pretty robust with them. Open up a MT-82 / look at the internals in comparison... yeah.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Unfortunately, the PP2 just seams like a money grab. Why on earth. Would you build a car with cup tires. Great for the track. Sucks on the street . Both for cold weather handling and tire wear! Then say its not for the track? Im so glad im not into road course work. You have the 1Le. Which is a fantastic performer. That I wouldn't be cought dead in. Or the PP2. A poser track car. That poops out after a lap. Wow decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Except that transmission was developed under an economy midset (fluid capacity and splash lube capability). You can rummage through Getrag's technical papers and articles that talks about the transmission the MT-82 was derived from (sorry, as I forget what it is called). Read into the original Boss 302S development by Tiger Racing. I've also logged transmission temperatures on the MT-82's (two of them) just on summer daily driving - consistent temperatures 210-220F+.

The Tremec transmissions are designed with durability and performance in mind. This includes the TR6060 and TR3160. The bearings, bearing/cluster gear support and splash lube are pretty robust with them. Open up a MT-82 / look at the internals in comparison... yeah.
The Boss 302 needs only a metal scoop to reduce trans temps to reliable levels. This should work quite well for the S550 too, no need for a radiator.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-trans-cooler-scoop-1113gt.html

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Boss 302 needs only a metal scoop to reduce trans temps to reliable levels. This should work quite well for the S550 too, no need for a radiator.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-trans-cooler-scoop-1113gt.html
Every try the piece? Or know anyone that’s run it?

There are reasons its not that popular.

Oh you can “track” the MT82, but you’ll need the right fluid and to change it out often if you track more than a few times a year. Race on it? Good luck.

And I’m talking about the Boss 302S, not Boss 302’s...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
If you get a few clicks in on their fitment guide, it comes back with a note that it will not fit S550 GT.

Click 1: Choose your gen [2015-2018]
Click 2: Choose your year [2018]
Click 3:Choose your model [GT]

Then you get the note.
I fully understand, I should have clarified that it would take some modification. My point was, these cars don't need full blow coolers on the transmission, just a bit of air redirected at the cooling fins. Maximum Motorsports offers a similar bolt on though for the S550 (See below).

Every try the piece? Or know anyone that’s run it?

There are reasons its not that popular.

Oh you can “track” the MT82, but you’ll need the right fluid and to change it out often if you track more than a few times a year. Race on it? Good luck.

And I’m talking about the Boss 302S, not Boss 302’s...
The work well enough to allow the Boss 302 laguna seca hot lap in the summer. From what I recall, Ford claims 20 degree temp drops...enough to keep the MT82 out of the danger zone. The Boss 302S however has a TR6060 with no cooling fins, so it's not going to as well. As for why they aren't popular here, very few complain currently of overheating transmissions...and fitting that particular scoop would take some modification. They were however very popular with the S197.

Maximum Motorsports however makes a direct bolt on for the S550...

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-trans-cooler-scoop-1516.html

MT82 with scoop on the Boss302

16-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg