Sponsored

Did anyone ever do a Perf Pack 2 vs 1LE test?

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
For a same track, same day comparrison:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2017/2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-review/

GT350R: 3713 lbs
SS 1LE: 3746 lbs
SS ZL1: 3912 lbs (ouch, that's fully loaded Mustang GT Premium territory!)

The ZL1 boasts a 125 HP advantage and ran a 1:27.9 second lap time. The GT350R ran a 1:28.29 second lap time. Difference: 0.39 seconds.

Looks like willow springs is NOT a track where the ZL1 can leverage it's massive 125 HP advantage.

Yet the 2.5 mile long Lighting Lap in the C&D tests (I know, they were not the same days, so the results are some what incomparable, but give us a general idea), we have the following times:

SS 1LE: 2:54.8 seconds
GT350R: 2:51.8 seconds (3 seconds faster but has a substantial 70 HP advantage)
SS ZL1: 2:45.7 seconds (6.1 seconds fast but has a very substantial 125 HP advantage, near double the power advantage over the GT350R, nearly double the time difference)

Ratios:
3 sec / 70 hp = 0.043 sec / hp.
6.1 sec / 125 hp = 0.049 sec / hp

Gee golly, the cars making more power are proportionally faster and in similar configurations are nearly identical in weight and actual physical proportions. They are so close, they are only an inch or two apart in most dimensions. What a surprise that they run similar times when configured for actual track duty.

I think the reality is the two chassis architectures are nearly identical in weight. It all comes down to tires, driver, power and suspension tuning. Ford simply does not set up the regular GT's or GT PP's like the 1LE. Not even close. The regular GT is set up like a Fusion Sedan, it's pure grand touring with a reasonably powerful engine.

The Performance Package GT's are set up like a standard 1/2SS, but the older 2015-2017's have an average power deficit of about 23~30 hp if you do an area compare of their power bands (to the wheels) and are a little heavier to boot (about 60~70 lbs if you get a Performance Package only and not a Premium, the clock in around 3780 lbs).

That's what people want, a Grand Touring car and that's why Ford sells them set up like the GT's name sake and not the Super Sport track car, but the GT has the same potential if you want to blend the two and you can do it under warranty.

Ford makes the sales numbers on run of the mill slush box GT's, for those wanting a street performance car, they have Performance Package. For those wanting more of an actual track car, they have Ford Performance factory upgrades which are covered by warranty when installed by a dealership.

I did the Power Pack 2 in my GT and it really brought the 5.0 to life.

41663789625_a756bd5621_b.jpg

2018+'s make a little more average power than the LT1 6.2 or a Power Pack 2 2015-2017, maybe slightly less than a Power Pack 3 2015-2017 5.0. The 2015-2017's with a Power Pack 2 make nearly identical power (just a hair more, 5~7 hp on average) to the LT1 6.2 just shifted 500 rpm higher. With the SS you get as much as they can give you out of the box. With the GT, you get about 90~95% out of the box. If you care about that last couple percent, pay for the factory upgrades. GM also offers factory upgrades for the SS as well, just not as many.

If you don't option the crap out of a GT, weights are within 50 lbs. So it comes down to driver, suspension tuning and tires. That's what the after market is for. Sky is the limit!

The fastest track cars, SS or GT alike are not bone stock factory cars. The fastest of each are going to be highly modified from their factory setups, but you can generally get the GT's cheaper because there are quite a few more of them, but you also have to do more to them because they are just not set up like the SS from the factory.

Ford did build in a very substantial potential however. The most critical areas of design are there as a foundation, it's just buried in soft rubber bushings and very anemic engine tuning.

So do you want a car that's great out of the box and just drive it as is or do you want to make it your own creation and tailor it to your particular applications? Drag, Auto X and HDPE all have very different requirements and the fastest cars in each category are set up very differently of any factory configuration in either a GT or SS.
Hi,

I don't think your graphs are true.

PP3 power pack decrease significantly the torque under 5000 rpm, and max torque is lower than PP2

There is no way PP3 has more power below 4500-5000 rpm even than a stock LT1. Your graph shows PP3 which more power even at 2000 rpm which is a real joke....

I have a 2018 GT stock (which is like between PP2 and PP3 level of performance for a gen 2 coyote) and a C7 GrandSport (both manual) and even when the vette was stock it was murdering the GT below 4500 rpm, the Coyote has nowhere near as much torque... and Gen 3 Coyote is known to have way more torque down low than the Gen2...

Edit : by the way, VIR ZL1 time is 2min50.1, 2min45.7 is ZL1 1LE
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Hi,

PP3 power pack decrease significantly the torque under 5000 rpm, and max torque is lower than PP2

There is no way PP3 has more power below 4500-5000 rpm even than a stock LT1. Your graph shows PP3 which more power even at 2000 rpm which is a real joke....

I have a 2018 GT stock (which is like between PP2 and PP3 level of performance for a gen 2 coyote) and a C7 GrandSport (both manual) and even when the vette was stock it was murdering the GT below 4500 rpm, the Coyote has nowhere near as much torque... and Gen 3 Coyote is known to have way more torque down low than the Gen2...

He is comparing HP not Torque but he does know that it is Torque actually accelerates the car through straights and turns, I hope!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Hi,

He's shifted the RPM band on the coyote to show an apples to apples comparison of the two powerbands. Notice how both dynos in all scenarios terminate at the same RPM.

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He is comparing HP not Torque but he does know that it is Torque actually accelerates the car through straights and turns, I hope!
HP and torque are proportionally related. It’s easy to understand if you have more torque down low you have more power.

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He's shifted the RPM band on the coyote to show an apples to apples comparison of the two powerbands. Notice how both dynos in all scenarios terminate at the same RPM.
This doesn’t make any sense, he should have put the real power band. Stock gen 2 coyote doesn’t rev a lot higher than the LT1 (6600 vs 6800) so first one is right.
Then he should have continued the scale with the real rpm limit of each power pack. His graph like is it is misleading, making you guys believe Coyote PP3 has significantly more torque than a LT1 which is BS.

Then you can talk about average HP on the common rpm range used when shifting on both cars. (4800-6600 LT1 and 4500-7500 for a manual Gen3 Coyote)

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This doesn’t make any sense, he should have put the real power band. Stock gen 2 coyote doesn’t rev a lot higher than the LT1 (6600 vs 6800) so first one is right.
Then he should have continued the scale with the real rpm limit of each power pack. His graph like is it is misleading, making you guys believe Coyote PP3 has significantly more torque than a LT1 which is BS.

Then you can talk about average HP on the common rpm range used when shifting on both cars. (4800-6600 LT1 and 4500-7500 for a manual Gen3 Coyote)
When talking about area under the curve, it makes perfect sense. He's showing the usable powerband of both vehicles overlaid on top of each-other. Where the LT1 will be at 2000RPM, the coyote will at slightly shifted. It's area under the curve that highlights how a vehicle is going to accelerate, hence the reason for these overlays.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
When talking about area under the curve, it makes perfect sense. He's showing the usable powerband of both vehicles overlaid on top of each-other. Where the LT1 will be at 2000RPM, the coyote will at slightly shifted. It's area under the curve that highlights how a vehicle is going to accelerate, hence the reason for these overlays.
What? No, you can't do that.

I'm not sure if he shifted the powerbands however, if he did, he can't. If we're discussing purely the engines, you don't shift the powerband otherwise it's lying. HP is dependant on RPM and torque, if you're shifting your torque curve, you're changing your HP. I.e. 250 ft-lbs of torque at 7500 RPM is 357 HP. 250 ft-lbs at 6500 RPM (shifted) is 309 HP.

If you want to overlay how each engine performs on the road, you need to take into account gearing and tire size reduction. Then you can overlay the actual road speeds vs effective net torque, and it will show "at 30 MPH, the Coyote will be at 4500 RPM and the LT1 will be at 3700 RPM, here's how their torque bands look different".

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
What? No, you can't do that.

I'm not sure if he shifted the powerbands however, if he did, he can't. If we're discussing purely the engines, you don't shift the powerband otherwise it's lying. HP is dependant on RPM and torque, if you're shifting your torque curve, you're changing your HP. I.e. 250 ft-lbs of torque at 7500 RPM is 357 HP. 250 ft-lbs at 6500 RPM (shifted) is 309 HP.

If you want to overlay how each engine performs on the road, you need to take into account gearing and tire size reduction. Then you can overlay the actual road speeds vs effective net torque, and it will show "at 30 MPH, the Coyote will be at 4500 RPM and the LT1 will be at 3700 RPM, here's how their torque bands look different".
Area under the curve is the only thing that matters here which doesn't change when you shift the curves. Remember, horsepower is key with acceleration, not torque...as it's giving you the time variable.

Repeat after me, AREA UNDER THE CURVE. Shifting the curves allows you to easily see which engine has more area, plain and simple.

As for gearing, that's an entirely different conversation.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Have any of the magazines or websites done the PP2/1LE comparison? If so I can't find it. I'm curious to know how the PP2 stacks up.
No, but Road & Track did a drive review of the PP2. It didn’t end well. Somewhere in the article Ford is quoted as stating that the PP2 is not intended to be a track car. In other words, despite the skunk works engineering and SC2 tires, Ford doesn’t consider the PP2 to be a 1LE competitor. Very disappointing in my opinion.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
No, but Road & Track did a drive review of the PP2. It didn’t end well. Somewhere in the article Ford is quoted as stating that the PP2 is not intended to be a track car. In other words, despite the skunk works engineering and SC2 tires, Ford doesn’t consider the PP2 to be a 1LE competitor. Very disappointing in my opinion.
Link to Road & Track review?

Ford may not consider it a competitor, but the rest of the free world does.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Link to Road & Track review?

Ford may not consider it a competitor, but the rest of the free world does.
I don’t have it. Must be subscription only, but this thread https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533886 on Camaro 6 refers to it and quotes from it. Six pages so far. We’ve been discussing it for a day and a half. A couple M6G guys are in the discussion, too. Surprised it hasn’t surfaced here.

General feeling is disappointment that Ford let you guys down. Nobody’s throwing rocks or doing a happy dance. Pretty much a lot of “wtf was F thinking?”

Last edited:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Surprised it hasn’t surfaced here.

General feeling is disappointment that Ford let you guys down. Nobody’s throwing rocks are doing a happy dance. Pretty much a lot of “wtf was F thinking?”
Aaaaand that's why it's not here. If the PP2 performed perfectly and curb stomped the 1LE it would have been here so fast the pages would be on fire.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I don’t have it. Must be subscription only, but this thread https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533886 on Camaro 6 refers to it and quotes from it. Six pages so far. We’ve been discussing it for a day and a half. A couple M6G guys are in the discussion, too. Surprised it hasn’t surfaced here.

General feeling is disappointment that Ford let you guys down. Nobody’s throwing rocks are doing a happy dance. Pretty much a lot of “wtf was F thinking?”
Honestly, I don't this is surprising to anybody. Testing out the PP2 with no diff or trans coolers in the middle of summer is asking for a 1 lap wondermobile. The car will likely do just find in late fall...but it is an epic fail that Ford didn't at least include a diff cooler. I can understand the PP1, but everyone knew this was going to happen with the PP2.

Aaaaand that's why it's not here. If the PP2 performed perfectly and curb stomped the 1LE it would have been here so fast the pages would be on fire.
It's not here because no one seems to have a subscription to Road and Track. I'm sure the bitch fest will begin shortly in a new thread once word catches on.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, I don't this is surprising to anybody. Testing out the PP2 with no diff or trans coolers in the middle of summer is asking for a 1 lap wondermobile. The car will likely do just find in late fall...but it is an epic fail that Ford didn't at least include a diff cooler. I can understand the PP1, but everyone knew this was going to happen with the PP2.

It's not here because no one seems to have a subscription to Road and Track. I'm sure the bitch fest will begin shortly in a new thread once word catches on.
Yes, the lack of diff (and trans) cooler is a fail. I guess I hadn’t looked closely enough at PP2 content to realize that was the case. To me, the more disappointing thing is for Ford to basically shrug their shoulders and say “we never meant for it to be a track car” and “if you want a track car we have Shelby”. That’s paraphrasing, but those were the messages. I still don’t get the idea of making track focused suspension changes and throw in the most track focused tires that I know of and then say it was never intended for the track.
Sponsored