Deck Lid and Ford Quality Issues

Redkeyboss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 /. Mach 1 on order
I recently discovered that my Deck Lid is off center by about 1/4 inch with barely a gap on one side and a little over 1/4 inch on the other. I can ‘t believe I didn’t notice earlier. Also my automatic driver side seat rubs when it is all the way forward. I’m short so it happens every time I get in the car. Finally there is a small pit in the paint on the passenger side groove on the top of the car. It’s small and in the groove so no one sees it but I’ll make a note with dealer in case of future problem. I’m sure these problems will be addressed under warrant but who wants to have there car at the dealership after waiting over a year for their car. Anyone else have a deck lid problem?

C83D0F6F-E512-4CC5-A0AE-CB6BE8726384.jpeg

DDAFD7B2-EE26-4E16-8447-0339B04AE42D.jpeg
Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
this post explains it all

I went through 3 deckilids on my '19 GT and gave up on the 3rd one, decided to live with it - proper panel alignment isn't a big priority on the Mustang line

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
How do the gaps look on the top of the trunk lid? Does it look like it's shifted to the drivers side? It might even be a combination of the trunk being off and the deck lid shifted.

Most of the seats rub on the center console. Apply some silicone spray to a cloth and apply to the console where it rubs.

I had some paint issue in the groove on the roof. It was pretty minor so I got a bottle of OEM touch-up paint and filled in the missing paint.

The dealer will either fix it or make it worse. It's a crap shoot. Hopefully you have a good one.

Ctodd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
I think it might be on most, looks like the gap is off on mine as well.
100_8724.JPG
100_8723.JPG

OP
OP

Redkeyboss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
How do the gaps look on the top of the trunk lid? Does it look like it's shifted to the drivers side? It might even be a combination of the trunk being off and the deck lid shifted.

Most of the seats rub on the center console. Apply some silicone spray to a cloth and apply to the console where it rubs.

I had some paint issue in the groove on the roof. It was pretty minor so I got a bottle of OEM touch-up paint and filled in the missing paint.

The dealer will either fix it or make it worse. It's a crap shoot. Hopefully you have a good one.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Redkeyboss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
No, I did some quick measurements and the trunk is OK. It is definitely the Deck Lid. I’m not usually a complainer, but a little disappointed in American Quality these days.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
No, I did some quick measurements and the trunk is OK. It is definitely the Deck Lid. I’m not usually a complainer, but a little disappointed in American Quality these days.
It's only the Flat Rock plant. Every Bronco, explorer and expedition I've seen has been 1000X better assembled and finished than 95% of the Mustangs. Ford has been letting them get away with it for years. There is NO way I would let that quality leave MY plant.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Yep...I brought this up last year after taking delivery of my '21 GT....somehow I never noticed the issue with my eco before, but yeah it's just an OEM flaw....I decided to just ignore it honestly

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
My car had a few cosmetic flaws (more significant than yours) when it showed up, but I was ready to accept them as a sacrifice to Ford's known poor quality.

To be clear I'm not at all advocating for Ford (like comeone dudes it's a $55k car it should have better fit and finish than a $30k Accord), but I am saying that if you can accept it for what it is, I think you'll have a better experience

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Its a bit perplexing because of how much it varies between cars. On mine it is almost perfect, though it is the first place I look to check fit and finish on the Mustang. The other place is on the lower side, where the bumper fits against the rear quarters. Add the hood alignment to the list, though that can be somewhat mitigated by using the rubber snug screws.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
It's only the Flat Rock plant. Every Bronco, explorer and expedition I've seen has been 1000X better assembled and finished than 95% of the Mustangs. Ford has been letting them get away with it for years. There is NO way I would let that quality leave MY plant.
no its not. flat rock is no different than any other ford plant. all of their cars are designed with loose tolerances and slapped together. sometimes you get lucky and the car is great. others get something that can barely drive down the road in a straight line. the majority of vehicles are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. fit and finish is something i pay very close attention to and i've looked over the broncos locally. lots of mustang-like fit issues. that plant employs the same union people that flat rock does.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I’ve seen more assembly issues with Mustang than any other Ford product.
Absolutely no comparison with the Expeditions I’ve seen. They seemed obviously assembled and painted with more care or tighter tolerances/better QC. In fact they looked great. So yes, they can do this but choose not to.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Yeah, my '17 has a similar issue, although it is not so much the side-to-side gap as it is the bottom lining up on one side and not the other. One side is ok, but the other side the bottom of the deck lid piece sticks out further than the black piece around the taillights. A Mach 1 I saw at the dealer had the same issue, and even the one they brought to have on display at the New York auto show did not line up all that well. While this type of thing does bother me (imperfections, no matter how small, are always where my eyes go first; I know 99% of people will never notice but I know it's there), I also have just accepted this is how it is, and I love these cars too much to let it bother me. I have a Mach 1 on order, and I already know I am going to find some issues with fitment, and I know it will bother me, especially considering the price, but I am willing to accept it because the car and the general enjoyment it will bring is worth it.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Its the same as its ever been. Despite propaganda.

OP
OP

Redkeyboss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
Yea, mine is off just horizontally. Vertically the gaps are consistent, no gap on one side and over a 1/4” on the other. Just wondering, does the rear camera move with the deck lid or is it stationary?
As far as “ just living with it “ , if we all do that aren’t we just encouraging Ford not to fix things? I’ll probably give it one try under warranty. Thanks for input.
Sponsored