Sponsored

Decision between MagneRide and non-MagneRide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dodd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP1
First post, just getting back into Mustangs now that I got my twins into college and I can get a 'for me' car again. Need some input from you guys on this.

I'm looking at a couple of used models coupes. They both have/are automatic, PP1, active valve, safe and smart, B&O (which I've heard kinda sucks) the extra security packages.

Differences:

Silver
MagneRide
25k miles
+$1500 over the 2020
Original black OEM wheels
Tires-needs new tires right now as it has a combination of a Michelin, 2 Pirellis and a Delinte

Rapid Red
NO MagneRide
48k miles
Original black OEM wheels
Tires-has new rubber but it's the cheap Sumitomo all season tires the dealer threw on. I live in South Florida so heat and rain are my only concerns.
One has the MagneRide and the other one doesn't. With the MagneRide is a '21 with about 25k miles and the one without Mag is a '20 with about 48k miles.

What's the thoughts on the MagneRide? I've read where some of you guys swear by the difference it makes, others could care less. I do not intend to track this thing, but I want to hang on to it for a long time. For what it's worth, I've heard that retro installing MagneRide isn't worth it so there's that and I wouldn't want to anyway.

What about rubber? Is the Sumitomo set that bad?? Other than the original Michelins, what are the best options for a tire for South Florida?

I've wanted to even put on bigger shoes, maybe a takeoff set of PP2 or other (if they're even worth it). Or put on a square set of wheels/tires while I'm at it.

Neither is my preferred color black if I ordered new, but I can live with either color so that's not a factor.

I appreciate the input, I'm really on the fence.
Sponsored

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Welcome! And good luck on your mustang purchase journey!

I am a fan of the magneride suspension and got it on mine. What did it for me was getting a chance to drive my brother's PP2 back-to-back with a non-magneride PP1. The difference was huge. That made it very easy for me to decide that my next car was going to have magneride. Without even mentioning it, I've had multiple people comment how much smoother the ride is than they were expecting. It all makes sense to them when I tell them I got the magneride suspension. If you're able to, I'd definitely try driving them to see for yourself.

I admit, I've been doing a lot of studying on tires lately for new wheels that I plan to get for mine. I'm not an expert there myself. So, I'm curious to see what others have to say about tires. What I am pretty sure of, though, is the offsets on the PP2 wheels will leave them poking out of the fenders slightly. I'm pretty sure that's what I've learned in my studying. So, if that's something that would bother you like it would me, it may be worth considering the SVE SP2 wheels instead if you really like that style.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
If it were me making the decision, the hardest thing to get over would be the color. I’m not the biggest fan of silver, and the rapid red looks so good to me. Considering the color is not a factor for you, the 2021 in my opinion is the no brainer choice. Magneride makes a huge difference and is way better than the standard shocks. Standard shocks are relatively unreliable and can be bouncy and unsettled over bumps, while the magneride does a great job at handling the weight of the car and making it feel like it’s more nimble than it should be for the size. Plus they ride more comfortably while also having the adjustment to be stiffened up for better performance. I do think if you’re not planning on getting coilovers or other aftermarket setups for better performance, magneride is for sure worth it. So $1500 more for a newer car with almost half the miles and magneride added on would for sure be worth it. Yeah, it may need new tires, but it’s still worth it imo.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
For the price, you could upgrade to the Steeda Comfort Package & save a little cash:

They come with our Pro-Active Shocks & Struts - which have active dampening just like Magneride - https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-comfort-suspension-package-15-17-555-2422

We have several other packages that will handle better & sharper than the MagneRide but will let others weigh in.

You are near our Pompano Facility - stop in & talk to Rodney - he can get you taken care of ... it will be worth the drive.

Let me know if I can help assist put you in contact with Rod - we'll get you taken care of!

TJ

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Get the best of both worlds:

magnaride with Steeda dual rate ultimate handling magnaride springs.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
big fan of the magnaride. you can't beat it for a DD or dual purpose car. for a track only car, its not the right way to go.

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I'll never have anther performance vehicle without magneride. I didn't see you mention your car would be a track focused car. If that isn't it's primary use, scraping for an extra .1 seconds per lap...magneride all the way.

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Hi and welcome to the community!

I have a 2018 PP1 loaded with 401A, Magneride, and Active Exhaust. Magneride was an absolute must for me since I daily the car and planned on casually tracking it. For my use case, the magneride serves both purposes beautifully. I'm really into the idea of flipping a toggle and taking the car(Throttle, exhaust, suspension) from docile(Normal mode) to visceral(Track mode). The magneride is a noticably smoother ride while also handling better imo.

I also liked the PP2 wheels, but didn't want another heavy and weak cast wheel - so I went with LMR SVE SP2 flow forged wheels that look very similar to PP2. These wheels are lighter and stronger, while still being wider than OEM PP1 setup. you can go with 19x10, or 19x11, or both combined for a staggered setup.

I chose 19x10 285 square for 3 reasons:
1. I wanted a square setup for balanced handling plus tire rotations
2. I wanted a plug and play setup(19x11 square requires camber plates, spacers and extended studs up front)
3. I didn't believe I would need the extra width/cost of 305 tires as a daily driver and casual track day car.

In your case, I would suggest you buy the 2021 Silver car with magneride, get 19x10 SVE PP2 wheels with 285 square tires(19x10 + 19x11 is still an option). You could wrap them in any rubber you want, but I would suggest Michelin Pilot 4S, or maybe Indy500 as a more affordable and less capable tire option. There are other tires out there that will probably be slightly better surface value than 4S, but I have yet to find a tire that performs this well in Dry + Wet, lives this long and can handle track duty this well.

I will say that I've been having issues with my A10, so if there is anything I would be weary of, it's the transmission.

Also, I really love black cars too :)

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Sponsored

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
I think unless you want to lower your car over 25mm go for the magnaride . I havent specced magnaride for that reason . I wanted the low stance and more of a focus on handling so have bought adj coilovers .

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Magazine drove 2 new cars the mag was better. As you can set it soft when cruising and track, sport with when having spirited fun.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
They come with our Pro-Active Shocks & Struts - which have active dampening just like Magneride
That's stretching the truth harder than taffy! You guys make fine stuff but let's not suggest a classic damper is in any way the same thing as a computer controlled electronic and tunable item with user selectable damping maps.

Granted Magride as delivered by Ford is merely "meh" compared to what GM does with theirs.

If you're just tooling around either setup will suffice. If you have good pavement and really crap pavement then toggle of modes via MR is very handy.

The pricing on the older car seems quite rich vs the newer one.

The most important mod is to lock out the bushings on the irs and add bits of the StopHop kit. The MR otherwise unmolested works noticeably better once the rear of the car is fixed in place.

Facts, no cap.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Facts, no cap.
:clap:

I love to hate you Matt. Deadass I wish I could. I'm sorry man. You're a better person than I wish for in life.

Deadass.

No suss.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Shogun builds shocks in house. For race bikes. The guy knows his shit.
Sponsored