marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
With a suggestion from DT, I reached out to 5Spurs to see if they can make a custom overlay for the shift dial.
Kevin emailed me back a few ideas and he uploaded them to their site. https://5spurs.com/store/usa/2020-Mustang-GT500-Parts-p178162259. I also asked him about possibly making a dial overlay that looks similar to the Ford GT. Click on the link above it you are interested in a custom dial overlay.

I sent Kevin the dial for him to use for R&D purposes. I am excited to be able to have a black dial. The plastic trim all around the dial I am having Phil at Auto Fanatic cover in Alcantara so when it is all done, I think the top part of the console will look much nicer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I like that,!! I’m assuming that’s just a cover? Or would that be a replacement part?

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
What I'd like to see (Probably wont happen) is a dial replacement with a digital/electronic shifter. I am more then sure it can be done, just a matter of having the shifter position contact send the right signal. Now that, I'd pay for.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
With a suggestion from DT, I reached out to 5Spurs to see if they can make a custom overlay for the shift dial.
Kevin emailed me back a few ideas and he uploaded them to their site. https://5spurs.com/store/usa/2020-Mustang-GT500-Parts-p178162259. I also asked him about possibly making a dial overlay that looks similar to the Ford GT.

I sent Kevin the dial for him to use for R&D purposes. I am excited to be able to have a black dial. The plastic trim all around the dial I am having Phil at Auto Fanatic cover in Alcantara so when it is all done, I think the top part of the console will look much nicer.

Machine it out of billet aluminum, I have access to multiple colors of anodizing, would look cool.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
I like that,!! I’m assuming that’s just a cover? Or would that be a replacement part?
Also I've thinking aren't the 2 shift levers plastic as well ?? Those would be cool anodized in billet aluminum.

Sponsored

OP
OP
marklboris

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It would be a cover. A replacement part would be difficult. The dial is glued to a center column that goes down in the shifter module and I had to basically cut it apart and destroy the module to get it out. They assemble the module and then glue the dial over the column and it is not coming off.

IMG_0451.jpeg
IMG_0452.jpeg

Last edited:

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Shifter Knobs.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I expressed interest.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Cool, yeah, they seemed like they had the right mix of: experience with small aluminum parts, a line of Ford products, and a smaller, boutique type shop willing to listen to ideas for potential new products.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Hard to tell from your photo where the adhesive was. Mark, do you have a shot with the knob off the rest of the assembly?

OP
OP
marklboris

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The dial or knob does not come off of the black column. That black column is actually part of the control module and I had to cut and break the entire thing apart to get that part out. It looks like they assemble the entire control module, then glue the chrome dial on top of the black column part which only sticks out of the control module just enough to glue on the dial. I tried best I could to get that dial off but couldn't so just cut everything up to get to that part. Unfortunately the photo I have of the control module is from up above so you really cannot see the side and what I am talking about.

You can see there is a slight gap between the dial and black part and that is where the glue is. This thing was definitely not meant to take apart to repair. On the back it has a sticker that said "Scrap if dropped" as many electronic components do in cars.

IMG_0456.jpeg

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
It might be easier to just paint the knob black or what ever color you choose. You could do it in the car if you were careful. Mask everything off and spray paint it with an air brush. Or remove the console and paint it on the bench.

OP
OP
marklboris

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I originally was going to do this. I posted just that in the paddle shifter thread and was going to use an epoxy paint that I used a few years ago on my front door threshold that has held up very well. No chips or scratches after many people have walked on it. I paint a lot of objects like this and was going to etch the thin aluminum dial (which is over plastic) and then paint it but after talking with Kevin at 5Spurs, I may want to go the route of a better looking and feeling dial. He is also going to come up with a dial that looks similar to the Ford GT one. Sure, this is a more expensive route to go rather than painting it but I want to see what he comes up with. I am in no hurry since I don't even have my car. :blush:
Sponsored