• Total voters

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
This may explain the crack in the hood and who the best people are.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Hey Houston how did you go about making a the claim ? Did you take to the selling dealer or just any dealer ?
I took it to my local dealership’s body shop not the repair department. This is not the dealership I purchased the car from. They then started the warranty claim through the body shop.

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
FWIW, I took Tom's advice awhile back and got the FOMOCO silicone lube for the hood pins and it definitely loosened things up and, made the pins slightly easier to depress. But, after learning about HK's issue, I went out and took a closer look at the bumpers and the gap distances.

Found both to be a half turn or more too tall and once adjusted, I could depress either locked pin with one finger (not thumb,) using less than a pound of force.

Dollars to doughnuts, those who suggest that the bumpers are too high (or possibly even too LOW,) causing the cracking, are right on the money. They're simply too close to the cracks and, too much a part of the closing equation not to be where the problem lies.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
NO CRACK for me! I was certain i would have them as i had to lube one of my pins before the lube procedure was even mentioned. Mine simply got WD40 and made a big difference. When i have time i will closely look at my bumpers....i did 1/2 turn on passenger side as it sat a bit high. I foresee an elaborate bumper adjustment procedure coming from Ford. Its kinda scary a simple $1 rubber bumper that can easily be off by 1/2 turn could cause this issue.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I know many members have their babies tucked away for the winter and odds are, they are not cycling the hood frequently like us in the South who drive year round. Add to that those who have battery maintainers and need to open the hood to connect/disconnect. So, I would expect to see more issues in the southern states and I'd be curious to see how many connect/disconnect maintainers regularly there are among those with cracks.

(I've held off waiting for someone else to "make the crack about krak.") :-)

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hood was painted today. Making progress.

Dcgtconv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500KR, 2009 GT500KR, '69Mach1 SCJ, '68 Conv
My passenger pin was also tight and I do have a minor hairline crack. I loosened the bumper stop by about 3 turns and the pin is so much easier to push now. I suspect as noted by others this may be the culprit.

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Added to the list! Cracks on both driver and passenger side. The passenger side has cracks in two locations, about an inch apart.

Edit: I have full PPF and painted stripes too:clap::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
No crack here but my passenger side hood pin has always been harder to depress also. I lowered the passenger side hood stop a bit and now they're equal. Good to know!

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Added to the list! Cracks on both driver and passenger side. The passenger side has cracks in two locations, about an inch apart.

Edit: I have full PPF and painted stripes too:clap::thumbsup:
Oh crap. Whats the plan Stan? I'd want an enclosed transport to pick up my car and have it sent back to Penske.

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Like everyone else, I agree it is most likely the hood bumper stops being misadjusted (too high) causing the hoods to crack. Back about 11 months ago in one of the "1st mods" threads, I posted how the first day I had the car I had to adjust the hood latch and both bumper stops as the hood was not properly aligned. I also had to loosen the passenger fender and pull it out a bit to make for the same size gap between it and the hood as the drivers side.

I had to adjust the hood latch because when closed, the center of the hood was slightly lower than the front bumper. After adjusting that, I adjusted the hood bumpers. The way I adjust them is so the hood just rests on them with very little pressure. How I achieve this is I lower down both bumpers then I start bringing them up slowly (opening and closing the hood many times) until when the hood is closed, I see that there is the slightest amount of that corner being raised then I lower it maybe a 1/6 of a turn. I have lubed these pins as Tom suggested a while back. I close the hood by dropping it but only from a distance of about 6 inches. Both of my push pins are easy to push in when opening the hood. I have no cracks and the car is almost a year old and have opened and closed the hood many many times.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
An improperly adjusted stop is no doubt a contributing factor. The problem is, you don't see this with Ford's steel or aluminum hoods. A barely out of adjustment stop should not be causing structural hood fractures. The hood needs to be addressed as does the procedure at Flat Rock when installed and rolled out the door for shipment.

Manny231988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2013 GT500
An improperly adjusted stop is no doubt a contributing factor. The problem is, you don't see this with Ford's steel or aluminum hoods. A barely out of adjustment stop should not be causing structural hood fractures. The hood needs to be addressed as does the procedure at Flat Rock when installed and rolled out the door for shipment.
My selling dealer told me that the local dealer had to make the claim, my local dealer said that this was a misbuilt claim that had to be initiated by the selling dealer l, my selling dealers said he was to far away to initiate the claim, my local dealers don’t have a body shop, both dealers gave me the 1800 number to call, claim initiated case, they said 3-5 days to get a call back no call, brand new car 5 miles on the odometer
Sponsored