Sponsored

Cracked R carbon wheel

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Out of principle, and speaking as someone with a law degree (but I don’t practice), I’d like to know what ground the dealer has to keep my wheel? It’s my property. They damaged it and provided me with a replacement (albeit voluntarily, I did have legal right against them for this I could enforce with effort). How all the sudden did the old wheel then become their property?

I didn’t sign anything that they could keep it. This is not a leased or company car, I own this vehicle outright. This isn’t a warranty item subject to a warranty clause. The wheel is my property before, so how does the dealer think it becomes their property just bc they agreed to voluntarily provide a replacement after they damaged my property?
I did some searching this afternoon and found a few mentions about laws regarding warranty parts but as you pointed out this isn't a warranty issue.

Legally, I believe the damaged wheel belongs to you. Could it be liability concerns with them being afraid you're going to run the damaged wheel and it's going to come apart?

This whole thread was frustrating to read. I hope you get your car back soon and get this all behind you.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I did some searching this afternoon and found a few mentions about laws regarding warranty parts but as you pointed out this isn't a warranty issue.

Legally, I believe the damaged wheel belongs to you. Could it be liability concerns with them being afraid you're going to run the damaged wheel and it's going to come apart?

This whole thread was frustrating to read. I hope you get your car back soon and get this all behind you.
Thanks. Ya the R is a special car. It’s been a rough year, I just hope to get it sorted and back on the track next spring.

They could give two shits if I were to run it. I was told they are selling it for $1500 as is “in order to recoup some of their loss.”

here is an example: your wife has a 3ct wedding ring that was handed down to you by your grandmother. If I (say a ring cleaner) cause damage to it, and say here is another 3ct wedding ring to replace it, does that give me right to keep your grandmothers old ring? Especially if I don’t tell you in advance this is what is going to happen. I get it’s not exactly the same, but the conversion of personal property is.

also, what if they would have paid me dealer cost in cash for the new wheel. Would that give them more or less right to keep my rim?

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
They could give two shits if I were to run it. I was told they are selling it for $1500 as is “in order to recoup some of their loss.”
Ahh I missed that they flat out told you that. Yeah that is some BS.

I wonder if Ford Customer Care would be able to do anything? I've seen some threads where they intervene with weird dealer actions. Any college friends that would write a letter to them about theft of property?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Then sue them.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I gave customer service a quick call hoping to get a fast answer. They wanted to file a report but the low level rep has no other info. I declined for now. This dealership is so damn convient to get to vs the others, I’m probably not gonna do much more than bitch on the internet about it :p. They are also currently rebuilding my 17 Raptors trans which just failed at 30k easy highway miles somehow...

$1500 (maybe) isn’t enough $ to waste time going to court over. I just don’t like being taken advantage of. I’m still salty they (and Ford) made me pay for my clutch when my trans exploded, especially since given the pics in that thread, I’m not sure there was really anything wrong with the clutch.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...r-clutch-in-pieces.148866/page-8#post-3079392

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And if my shop foreman is reading this thread (which I don’t doubt or care) then I do thank you for your hard work and sorry you are stuck in the middle a bit! As for the rest of the service I’ve received there in the 3.8 months of clocked service time in 2020...not so much!

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
You keep swinging the I have a law degree flag. By your logic if they replaced your starter, your engine, hell anything, those parts are yours as well with a replacement. You can’t seriously think this is remotely reasonable. The damaged wheel puts you in a less then whole position, the replacement makes you whole again. Your not entitled to be made more then whole. It sucks your having to deal with this and someone made a mistake and damaged your wheel. This kind of thing right here is why so many manufacturers and business’s take a very hard line on situations. At this point your mad, probably rightfully so, and you come across like nothing will appease you but your demands.

Out of principle, and speaking as someone with a law degree (but I don’t practice), I’d like to know what ground the dealer has to keep my wheel? It’s my property. They damaged it and provided me with a replacement (albeit voluntarily, I did have legal right against them for this I could enforce with effort). How all the sudden did the old wheel then become their property?

I didn’t sign anything that they could keep it. This is not a leased or company car, I own this vehicle outright. This isn’t a warranty item subject to a warranty clause. The wheel is my property before, so how does the dealer think it becomes their property just bc they agreed to voluntarily provide a replacement after they damaged my property?

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You keep swinging the I have a law degree flag. By your logic if they replaced your starter, your engine, hell anything, those parts are yours as well with a replacement. You can’t seriously think this is remotely reasonable. The damaged wheel puts you in a less then whole position, the replacement makes you whole again. Your not entitled to be made more then whole. It sucks your having to deal with this and someone made a mistake and damaged your wheel. This kind of thing right here is why so many manufacturers and business’s take a very hard line on situations. At this point your mad, probably rightfully so, and you come across like nothing will appease you but your demands.
I've had the fun of a dead starter on my R too. They did replace that, under warranty, and they did ask if I wanted the old part back as the law requires: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2r...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-1333 . I let them dispose of the starter, but when my transmission blew up and somehow my clutch also blew up at the same time, I was given my clutch parts back as well. If I paid the core deposit I could have had my failed transmission back too, but it wasn't worth anything to me.

If I pay for a replacement part, I have a right to keep the original part which is still my property. If a warranty, that I paid for separately or included with my car, pays for a replacement part, I have a right to keep that part as well UNLESS the warranty that I agreed to has an exclusion that says I don't (for example a core charge item, or a hazardous item). This is a perfectly fine modification of my property rights that I agreed to by contract. If they cover my failed engine under warranty, I presume the engine is an excluded part per my warranty term or has a large core deposit I'd have to pay to keep it. If I pay for my own engine replacement, I certainly get to keep my old engine if I want it, less any core deposit applicable.

If the dealer damages something of mine, please tell me how they are legally granted authority to keep my original property without my permission? Buying me a replacement does not inherently convey transfer of ownership, especially when being made "whole" is debatable, and I agreed to nothing that says my property becomes the dealers in any situation, replacement, new car, new house, whatever. It's still my property, somebody doesn't get to "trade me" on their own accord just b/c they replace something they were liable to replace anyway.

The dealer is at fault for damaging my property. Providing me a replacement wheel that doesn't match the rest of my wheels nearly 1 month after this happened while my car sat in the shop, and I had to provide them a tire of my own b/c they say Cup 2's are on backorder does NOT make me whole. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cracked-r-carbon-wheel.128015/post-3091685

If the dealer was testing my car and crashed it, do they get to go on their own and buy any R they want, say a orange car with the same miles when my car is black with red stripes and say here's your replacement orange car, the difference is only cosmetic. They then get to keep my damaged black car since I'm "made whole" but didn't agree to anything? What if it took 30 days to get me a replacement car? 6 months?

Look, I'm happy to drop it. Seems opinions on this are split based on the few replies. I can see how some think providing a replacement rim made me whole. I don't feel that way, but I'm not going to let it ruin my day. I like to post in car forums about car related stuff, good or bad. I'm disappointed at the huge amount of games I watch dealers pull first hand, be it in sales or service, and I don't like being taken advantage of. This cracked wheel situation with my dealer is one in a big bucket of crap that's happened this year, starting with them putting unauthorized helicoils in my motor when my AC compressor broke loose b/c they improperly reused the old AC bolts during a replacement, then refusing a engine swap when now 7 service attempts to fix engine surging have continued to fail , then the trans and clutch death that I had to pay $2k for b/c "a clutch is a wear item" even though it wasn't worn and not covered by warranty, and now the dealer negligently cracking my rim and providing a replacement with a different lug design that the other $15k worth of rims on the car. It is what it is, I'm sharing my experience in case it helps someone else. Maybe I'm wrong here too.
Sponsored

Last edited: