Sponsored

Cracked R carbon wheel

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I usually stay out of this type of thread. That being said, if the dealer replaces your wheel on their dime, which in essence is buying you a new wheel, why would you think you should get to keep the original that was damaged? If they let you keep it, that’s at there discretion and being nice. It’s no different then you totaling your car and your insurance car replacing it, and you driving off in your new car and then saying I want my totaled car as well.
Because of the law I quoted that says I have a right to my replaced parts. This wheel has taken 14 days so far and still not arrived; if I was financing and making payments on my car at $3k or whatever a month you think I’m made whole by the dealer just getting me a new wheel? What if it takes 3 months? 5 months? This isn’t an insurance contract or an issue that was caused by me. Consequential damages and lost time are real life factors.
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
The law requires repair shops to show you your old parts that were replaced because of potential fraud. The wheel being replaced is obvious and really should not fall under the same law....I don’t know.
If a shop replaced something you cannot readily see was obviously replaced, how would you know it was? I believe that is the spirit of the law.
BTW, Ford will destroy the damaged wheel.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Man... that's why I never ever trust anyone with my car.... I just replaced tires on my M3 and the guys doing the job (which did my GT350 wheels before , not the R, the track pack; and they did a flawless job back then) absolutely destroyed my M3 rims... chunks of aluminum ripped off the side... just horrible job.
I am at a loss on some of the horrors happening out there.. Now I am fighting with this guy's insurance to buy /replace my 2 front wheels for the M3 which he destroyed...

Damn.
Slightly different situation, but when my CF wheel was approved for a warranty replacement (after months of effort), Ford took back the failed wheel. Component failure and warranty replacement is different from dealer-caused damage, though.

At most shops, you can ask them to keep the parts they take off (e.g., if replacing worn suspension parts), and they will do it for you. Sometimes I do this to verify the condition of the removed parts.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
My dealer took a chunk out of my passenger front carbon wheel getting my car off the hoist. They are ordering a replacement for me, but initially said that I don’t have the right to keep the old/damaged part. Does anyone know if this is true (in Michigan)??

I don’t see anything in the law that says just because a dealer is covering the cost of the replacement (bc they damaged the original) that this extinguishes my right to keep the original:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(os...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-1333

27EED1D5-E2B9-477F-AE77-BA62342EBC94.jpeg
Well my dealer is refusing to let me have the old rim they damaged, bc in sure an employee there wants to try to sell it.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Well my dealer is refusing to let me have the old rim they damaged, bc in sure an employee there wants to try to sell it.
Or the dealership itself will try to have it fixed and then sell it 👀

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
At most shops, you can ask them to keep the parts they take off (e.g., if replacing worn suspension parts), and they will do it for you. Sometimes I do this to verify the condition of the removed parts.
This is always a good idea. Or at least ask to see the removed parts. There was a Mercedes dealership back home that was caught charging the customer for new parts, not actually installing them, and then reselling them to the next customer.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
This is always a good idea. Or at least ask to see the removed parts. There was a Mercedes dealership back home that was caught charging the customer for new parts, not actually installing them, and then reselling them to the next customer. And so on, and so on, and so on.
I fixed that for you ;-)

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer is saying Ford must have updated the carbon wheel and the lug holes look different, they are silver and shaped a little different. This sucks I now have mismatched wheels, on a $20k wheel set

here is a pic of the new vs old.

4012AB7D-DD1C-4C21-ABAA-272637512421.jpeg

FCBA6701-B931-4B31-B7C1-896CD87F4F64.jpeg

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Yes Carbon Revolution did change them. They said there were some torqueing issues with the earlier style and change it to the flat surface. I have two sets of CF wheels and wondered why there were two different styles.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or the dealership itself will try to have it fixed and then sell it 👀
Yep, if seems this is exactly what they are doing. Was told their dealer cost on my new wheel was $3350 and that they are going to try to sell this damaged wheel for $1500. I’m not sure on that price, at some point I’d buy it as a spare, but probably not unless it’s in the hundreds with the chunk of carbon missing, even if structurally sound it’s like $1200+ with shipping to fix it.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yep, if seems this is exactly what they are doing. Was told their dealer cost on my new wheel was $3350 and that they are going to try to sell this damaged wheel for $1500. I’m not sure on that price, at some point I’d buy it as a spare, but probably not unless it’s in the hundreds with the chunk of carbon missing, even if structurally sound it’s like $1200+ with shipping to fix it.
Offer them $600 bucks for the old one. have $100 bills in your hand when talking with them. Get the wheel fixed yourself or sell it. I don't think I'd pay more than $600 for it. You are right, after it is all said and done, you may have a repaired wheel, but Frank at Spyder won't make it like brand new and it will be a repaired wheel.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of principle, and speaking as someone with a law degree (but I don’t practice), I’d like to know what ground the dealer has to keep my wheel? It’s my property. They damaged it and provided me with a replacement (albeit voluntarily, I did have legal right against them for this I could enforce with effort). How all the sudden did the old wheel then become their property?

I didn’t sign anything that they could keep it. This is not a leased or company car, I own this vehicle outright. This isn’t a warranty item subject to a warranty clause. The wheel is my property before, so how does the dealer think it becomes their property just bc they agreed to voluntarily provide a replacement after they damaged my property?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Out of principle, and speaking as someone with a law degree (but I don’t practice), I’d like to know what ground the dealer has to keep my wheel? It’s my property. They damaged it and provided me with a replacement (albeit voluntarily, I did have legal right against them for this I could enforce with effort). How all the sudden did the old wheel then become their property?

I didn’t sign anything that they could keep it. This is not a leased or company car, I own this vehicle outright. This isn’t a warranty item subject to a warranty clause. The wheel is my property before, so how does the dealer think it becomes their property just bc they agreed to voluntarily provide a replacement after they damaged my property?
Well, they could choose to have it repaired.....

If i could buy it as a compromise for $600, I would do that.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)

I could care less if they kept my damaged wheel.
They are the ones making it right for you. Are you saying they should give you hundreds of dollars in parts that you can either sell or have repaired? Good for you, bad for them.
I‘m all but certain Fords policy is to destroy damaged parts that they receive as a core. This pertains to body shops. I’m thinking what happened to you wouldn’t fall under Fords policy considering the dealership was the one paying for the new wheel.
I‘m no attorney but what they are doing seems fair. They have no obligation to make you better that whole.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could care less if they kept my damaged wheel.
They are the ones making it right for you. Are you saying they should give you hundreds of dollars in parts that you can either sell or have repaired? Good for you, bad for them.
I‘m all but certain Fords policy is to destroy damaged parts that they receive as a core. This pertains to body shops. I’m thinking what happened to you wouldn’t fall under Fords policy considering the dealership was the one paying for the new wheel.
I‘m no attorney but what they are doing seems fair. They have no obligation to make you better that whole.
So to make me whole, what $ value do you place on me waiting 29 days for the carbon wheel to arrive, and still to date they are saying the tire they ruined is back ordered (I brought them one of my spares so I could get my car home so it doesn’t sit in the snow on the lot and crack the other 3 tires).

If I was making $2k monthly car payment, $125 monthly insurance, and $40 monthly registration tab cost on this car, and bc of their fault I didn’t get to use my car for a month, would you say I was made whole if they bought me a new wheel that cosmetically didn’t match my other 3? What if I missed a $1k track day weekend bc my car was waiting on a wheel? You can’t really think that putting a new wheel makes me whole? Regardless, the legal question is how does my wheel become theirs? It seems like conversion to me.

this is for argument sake, I paid cash for the car and have cheaper insurance, but the above is a reasonably position for someone with 3 year car loan on an R.
Sponsored