Sponsored

Anderson Composites Wing - Fiberglass VS Carbon Fiber? Cracked 🤬

GaryGolz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey All,

Does anyone have experience with either the Fiberglass or Carbon GT350R style wings?

I recently had to get my Aderson Composites fiberglass spoiler removed by my body shop since I noticed severe cracking and issues occurring on the right side near where it seems there's a mold. I mentioned it on a few Facebook Shelby GT350 owners groups - from a reliable source someone mentioned to me it's definitely a defect.

The worst part is that I hadn't really noticed it until 1 month after their 6-month warranty, so I'm completely out of luck nor seem to be getting anywhere to have a resolution or refund... Body shop says it'll run me around $500-$800 to just repair it alone and honestly that probably could just be used toward a better product.

Before I go trying to get their 1 piece Carbon Fiber option vs the Fiberglass, does anyone else have any feedback on it? I'm told the Carbon Fiber option is 1 piece but worried it may have similar issues or defects... Thanks all!

20210429_122123.jpg

20210429_122132.jpg
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Doesn't hurt to let AC know about their wing breaking down. Even if it's 1-month out of the warranty window, they may be able to do something for you. If not a good will replacement, at least a discount on another one of their products. Although I don't know how your faith in the company isn't shook from this product failure. That's coming from someone who has their CF Track pack wing on their GT350.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Your pictures are too close up to determine where on the spoiler the damage actually is. Are you sure something didn't hit it? That missing chunk looks suspect and being a trackpack spoiler with no lift and bolted flat completely across the trunk lid, how much stress is actually on that thing?

OP
OP
GaryGolz

GaryGolz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Doesn't hurt to let AC know about their wing breaking down. Even if it's 1-month out of the warranty window, they may be able to do something for you. If not a good will replacement, at least a discount on another one of their products. Although I don't know how your faith in the company isn't shook from this product failure. That's coming from someone who has their CF Track pack wing on their GT350.
Unfortunately, I did and even being in the industry they're basically telling me I'm SOL - mostly because it was finished already (primed, gloss painted etc).

The base and top seem like two separate parts and from what I can see it looks like the seam that is filled with adhesive filler looks to be failing/failed and caused the cracking. The fasteners aren't near the seam and it's certainly in an area that there doesn't seem to be enough structural composite. The car was never raced or tracked so I can't even begin to think how much pressure or downforce is needed to cause that?

There was someone who offered their OEM R wing to me for $6000 but I can't justify that kind of cheddar for a wing, even if it is OEM.

OP
OP
GaryGolz

GaryGolz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your pictures are too close up to determine where on the spoiler the damage actually is. Are you sure something didn't hit it? That missing chunk looks suspect and being a trackpack spoiler with no lift and bolted flat completely across the trunk lid, how much stress is actually on that thing?
I had the bodyshop sand down to see how the damage is closer, from my previous post to @Shift you can see there's definitely an adhesive failure, however, I'm not a certified composite expert.

As for hitting it on anything, it's in such a hard spot for that even to happen. I'd have to have closed the trunk on something literally laying on the back quarter panel of the car. Unless it was some 1 in 1,000,000 chance there was a stone that shot sideways into the spoiler while driving. From the Facebook groups there seems to be a decent amount of feedback mentioning this not being THAT surprising from AC, hence my hesitance at their "once-piece Carbon Fiber" option.

IMG_4419.jpg
IMG_4411.jpg

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Unfortunately, I did and even being in the industry they're basically telling me I'm SOL - mostly because it was finished already (primed, gloss painted etc).

The base and top seem like two separate parts and from what I can see it looks like the seam that is filled with adhesive filler looks to be failing/failed and caused the cracking. The fasteners aren't near the seam and it's certainly in an area that there doesn't seem to be enough structural composite. The car was never raced or tracked so I can't even begin to think how much pressure or downforce is needed to cause that?

There was someone who offered their OEM R wing to me for $6000 but I can't justify that kind of cheddar for a wing, even if it is OEM.
I've had less than satisfying experiences with AC as well. I would not recommend their products (or service) to anyone. Unfortunately, there are certain areas where they are the only option or, as unfortunate as it is, the best from a relative perspective. Hopefully, you'll be able to find a satisfactory alternative for less than 6K.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
It’s all hand laid composites. I hear they have a dry carbon which is autoclave but it’s all from the same company—Seibon. Anderson Composites is nothing but branding for the American Market. There is no Anderson, they just thought Americans would be shy about buying from a Chinese company so they rebranded their American car line as Anderson.

Anderson Composites

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.andersoncomposites.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2021 Ford Broncos (2 and 4-door)
Hey All,

Does anyone have experience with either the Fiberglass or Carbon GT350R style wings?

I recently had to get my Aderson Composites fiberglass spoiler removed by my body shop since I noticed severe cracking and issues occurring on the right side near where it seems there's a mold. I mentioned it on a few Facebook Shelby GT350 owners groups - from a reliable source someone mentioned to me it's definitely a defect.

The worst part is that I hadn't really noticed it until 1 month after their 6-month warranty, so I'm completely out of luck nor seem to be getting anywhere to have a resolution or refund... Body shop says it'll run me around $500-$800 to just repair it alone and honestly that probably could just be used toward a better product.

Before I go trying to get their 1 piece Carbon Fiber option vs the Fiberglass, does anyone else have any feedback on it? I'm told the Carbon Fiber option is 1 piece but worried it may have similar issues or defects... Thanks all!

20210429_122123.jpg

20210429_122132.jpg
Which authorized Anderson dealer sold this component to you?

Sponsored
OP
OP
GaryGolz

GaryGolz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Anderson Composites

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.andersoncomposites.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2021 Ford Broncos (2 and 4-door)
Turn 14 Distribution
According to our records with this purchase, there was no issue with defects. Our fiberglass products do require professional test fitting, prep and finishing for the best results. These style rear spoilers are actually not 1-piece, even the OE Ford units are multiple parts bonded together.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
According to our records with this purchase, there was no issue with defects. Our fiberglass products do require professional test fitting, prep and finishing for the best results. These style rear spoilers are actually not 1-piece, even the OE Ford units are multiple parts bonded together.
didn't know that, I just assumed it was like injected molding into one large ass piece.

whip_test

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
While I do appreciate an AC product and have some pieces on order, to call out or give comparison here to OE based on a unique failure of your product is a cop out IMO. I ain't the judge and really don't think anyone cares for my opinion here but figured I'd call it as I see it. I've personally run the OE Ford products on the track, daily driving conditions, etc without an ounce or worry and zero failures. Not even close.

According to your records there's a guy in this chat complaining about your product, looking for help on a reasonable resolution and I think you should help him! Just my opinion.
Sponsored

Last edited: