Sponsored

Transmission failure at 9600 miles, lost reverse months ago and dealer says not warranty for clutch in pieces

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Speculation? It would have to hit something unique to split the (front) tire and cause such a small shapely chunk missing. I think he started turning before clearing some part of the lift and banged something fairly pointed shaped and metal.
Yup, on the way up it hit something sticking out and cut right thru or conversely coming down from up high. Careless lift operator.
Sponsored

ZZxtra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang v6
Speculation? It would have to hit something unique to split the (front) tire and cause such a small shapely chunk missing. I think he started turning before clearing some part of the lift and banged something fairly pointed shaped and metal.

I donā€™t think it really matters, they are gonna replace it and I donā€™t see any other damage. If I can get them to let me keep this damaged wheel it might have some value to it, as a spare to me or someone who has a functionally failed front carbon rim and can live with the cosmetic damage.
I don't know if your warranty girl will authorize that. After all tires are a wear item. And the rim was damaged because of your worn tires.

Ya I know, I'm a wise guy. šŸ˜šŸ˜³šŸ˜

Last edited:
OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I don't know if your warranty girl will authorize that. After all tires are a wear item. And the rim was damaged because of your worn tires.

Ya I know, I'm a wise guy. šŸ˜šŸ˜³šŸ˜
Lol. Actually my wheel warranty would not cover damage done when in the shop like this Iā€™m pretty sure, since itā€™s road hazard coverage, not idiot shop operator coverage.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Just got my car back, December 4th, after dropping if off August 24th...

The good: Shifts buttery smooth now, no more fighting getting into first gear at a stop light.

The bad: when starting the car, the car literally jumped forward 3 feet as I released the clutch. It acted like I was giving it a ton of throttle and just jumped. This is how my dealer said the shop damaged my carbon wheel and tire. It did this for the first three times in the parking lot, but after that, I drove it for an hour and it shifted and changed gear perfect.

The other issue was at first the clutch had about 1-2'' of slop in the top. I removed my clutch spring (no spring) when I first got the car, but the pedal never had slop before. When they re-bleed it, they pulled the clutch out to get the pressure right, but the slop was still there. However, after driving it a minute, the slop was gone and the full length of the clutch throw was back.

I hope the jump and clutch slop are gone now after driving it a bit, but I suspect the next time I cold start it, the same thing will happen. Hum???

The other issues are...not resolved yet. But at least I have my car back after 3.5 months.

Sletcher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350, 19 Expedition, 17 VW Alltrack
Glad to hear it's back home, albeit with a few items still on the punch list.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the second time I started the car up and eased into first, the car did not jump forward like before, so perhaps this was just a symptom of a 100% new clutch that needed a couple miles to break in? It scares me b/c I park in a tight spot sometimes, and if it does this again, I'll almost certainly hit something. I've got a note on the steering wheel to watch out for the jump.

The trans does shift buttery smooth now, much better than it used to.

Only other issue is the clutch has some play in the top end. I took the oem spring out when the car was new (never liked the dual rate spring), and I never had any play before, but it's there now (despite it being rebleed with the clutch pedal pulled all the way out). Might have to get a aftermarket linear clutch spring -- any suggestions on which one? I might also get used to it, the rest of the clutch feel past the first 1'' or so is great.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wow, just read this whole thread. Unreal how you were treated.

Ford needs to get their act together.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Suggest making sure the note about the car jumping forward is documented. Send via email or something. In my mind, your car has not only been in the shop long enough but also has enough of a safety concern to start talking lemon/buy back.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suggest making sure the note about the car jumping forward is documented. Send via email or something. In my mind, your car has not only been in the shop long enough but also has enough of a safety concern to start talking lemon/buy back.
good idea. Iā€™ll email the shop foreman about the concern. He is well aware as the jump cost them buying me a new carbon wheel when it did it to them first time starting it.

Yes, 4.5 months in the shop this year (trans, clutch, starter, two coolant leaks/bursts, new wire harness, 2 ac compressors with block helicoils, one evap coil, belts falling off, 6 attempts for surging, I think itā€™s started drinking oil now, ect) for warranty work, 1.5 months last year. My service ticket says regarding the surging that they cannot test it until spring bc of cold temps (so basically donā€™t drive it until spring), so ya that coupled with the lack of Fords help AT ALL and i have filed a lemon case. That will take 4+ months to resolve. They wonā€™t even have a replacement car, but I hope something fair happens bc I still do love the R, and wish I could give Ford another chance. That said, with the R being unreliable and Fords lack of help, no consideration at all on a GT500 now and I just put a deposit on a C8 z06 today, although that wonā€™t be ready for next track season.

my raptor is also in the shop now for a trans replacement. 31k easy highway miles.Glad I have 8 year warranties but not a lot of faith in Ford reliability as of late.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Even more of a solid case. It happened to the dealer....after they gave the car back to you months later, it is still happening. It's not safe.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an update, this car never jumped again after the first 3 times. It seems to be running great now. We will see how long they lasts.

also of note, I settled my Magnuson case with Ford over this car and then not covering the clutch. Iā€™ll say Iā€™m happy with the outcome. I wish they would have done the right thing and just warrantied the clutch. Cost them multiples more $$$ (hell the attorney cost them 3x the clutch cost) and me more annoyances. Not a good move on their part, particularly their ā€œfriends and familyā€ rep I got that was exceptionally worthless.

Iā€™m keeping the car for as long as it stays reasonably reliable, gonna be a wait until the c8 z06 gets here...

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
As an update, this car never jumped again after the first 3 times. It seems to be running great now. We will see how long they lasts.

also of note, I settled my Magnuson case with Ford over this car and then not covering the clutch. Iā€™ll say Iā€™m happy with the outcome. I wish they would have done the right thing and just warrantied the clutch. Cost them multiples more $$$ (hell the attorney cost them 3x the clutch cost) and me more annoyances. Not a good move on their part, particularly their ā€œfriends and familyā€ rep I got that was exceptionally worthless.

Iā€™m keeping the car for as long as it stays reasonably reliable, gonna be a wait until the c8 z06 gets here...
WOW, what a story. I normally donā€™t read an 8 page forum post but I really wanted to hear what you went through in case I needed any ammo. Iā€™m really glad to hear your issue got resolved to your satisfaction. I have 2700 miles on my R and I took it to the dealer because I couldnā€™t downshift from 2nd to 1st at 5 MPH or less. They replaced the clutch, flywheel and clutch pack first based upon Fords recommendation. That didnā€™t help and when the opened up the transmission they saw 1st and 2nd gears and synchros were damaged. They rebuild my trans against my pleading. That was Oct and itā€™s been in winter storage ever since. The only thing I have going for me is a great relationship with the service manager. Iā€™m just hoping I donā€™t have any clutch or trans issues due to I have 12 HPDEā€™s scheduled and looking to add another 6 days for this season.

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Yeah, mines been in the shop a while, going on 2 months. I've had it all of 1.5 days, it's a used 2017 GT350 and the transmission was starting to fail, it had a whining noise.

Supposedly they had all the parts/tools 3 weeks ago and now they say they need to order more stuff today... what PITA, I also have a 19 Raptor... I will say once I am done with these vehicles I am not buying another Ford again... At least until there is a complete overhaul to where they give a sh*t about their customers.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yeah, mines been in the shop a while, going on 2 months. I've had it all of 1.5 days, it's a used 2017 GT350 and the transmission was starting to fail, it had a whining noise.

Supposedly they had all the parts/tools 3 weeks ago and now they say they need to order more stuff today... what PITA, I also have a 19 Raptor... I will say once I am done with these vehicles I am not buying another Ford again... At least until there is a complete overhaul to where they give a sh*t about their customers.
Amen on the customer experience. It's a legacy infrastructure that could do nothing but devolve into the disjointed nightmare it is now. I think I said it was my last FOrd a while ago but I did end up grabbing a 20R out of FOMO...but I don't see doing this again. My dealer was horrible and I'm not afraid to call them out, SUNRISE FORD in Florida.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Amen on the customer experience. It's a legacy infrastructure that could do nothing but devolve into the disjointed nightmare it is now. I think I said it was my last FOrd a while ago..
Amen X 2..
Sponsored