Sponsored

GT350 R - carbon fiber wheel failure

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Experienced a GT350 R wheel failure. Long story short, after a track day in Feb, after the car was sitting for 4 to 5 weeks- it lost pressure (28 psi cold down to approx 14 psi). Before my track day in April, decided to swap the front cup 2's. Car performed great, held air pressure for the day. After having the car sit (4 weeks), I noticed it was losing pressure again - down to 13/14 psi. I was hoping it was just a valve stem, took it into Discount Tire on Monday and found the front passenger wheel was leaking air on the inside barrel - right where the white coating and black paint meet (furthest away from the caliper side). I posted video and pics on the Facebook Track Shelby GT350s group. My car has 3,300 miles and I have a set of street tires/wheels and approximately 6 HPDE's with this car (VIR and NCCAR). No off track incidents, impacts, accidents, etc. My thoughts were that something may have been lodged between the wheel and caliper, but it isn't in line with the caliper.

Wanted to post my experience and share with the community. My friend is a service manager at a Ford dealer and he submitted a prior approval warranty claim.

Ford denied the prior approval warranty claim immediately. They replied with:
"Review of the uplodaded concern close up image show scuff/ impact damage as a contributing cause. The wheel location display scratch witness marks verifying outside source damage. The wheel concern area shows no relation to any defect within factory supplied materials or workmanship, therfore, a non warrantable determination has been made on this prior approval request."

Not sure how they came up with that determination. Ford also doesn't send anyone out to inspect the wheel personally.

I'm working through the C/S process and also contacted Carbon Revolutions to see if they can help. I spoke with someone late yesterday at CR and surprised I didn't get an answering machine. They were very helpful and asked me to send in all my info / pics / emails. From the video and pics I sent them, they feel it is a warrantable item. The info was sent to some of the execs at CR and they are also going to contact Ford.

After 2 phone calls and 50+ minutes on the phone with Ford C/S, they provided a Case #. I have also been given the name at someone at Ford Performance that may be able to help, but still trying to contact one of the managers.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it plays out.

More importantly, need some track wheels in R spec ASAP. Forgelines won't be here in time, so looking to see who has what available. I already missed too many track days due to the oil cooler recall. *I do have a line on some wheels / tires.

If there is a chance someone has a CF front wheel laying around, that they'd be willing to sell, that would be a miracle.

Thanks for lending an ear and if anyone has any advice on dealing with Ford, please feel free to message me directly or post here.

My biggest issue with the warranty claim is that Ford made a determination that the wheel had impact damage that contributed to the failure. There is no evidence of any impact damage.

-Marko

Edit - 6/7 Spoke to a manager at Ford Performance - he advised to get the Service Manager to request a Field Service Engineer to come out and inspect the wheel to overturn the decision.

Service manager escalated to CSM. They won't send out a Field Service Engineer unless Ford assigns them to do it. He followed up again and the CSM said they can't overrule any warranty decisions or prior approval decisions. Service manager made another request back to prior approval for a second opinion and for a field service engineer.

Edit - Ford's Technical Assistance Center's Escalated Handling Team wants to see more pics of the wheel. Hopefully a step in the right direction.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow, bummer. I think the wheel will eventually get replaced under warranty. In a pinch, why not get a set of 6grs or even a front set on R spec? I'm not a huge fan of them, but I run them as street wheels and have tracked them once. I believe you can buy them per wheel if need be.

OP
OP
Next Phase

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Wow, bummer. I think the wheel will eventually get replaced under warranty. In a pinch, why not get a set of 6grs or even a front set on R spec? I'm not a huge fan of them, but I run them as street wheels and have tracked them once. I believe you can buy them per wheel if need be.
I'm working on picking up a set of Apex wheels / Nitto NT01's as we speak.

A friend of mine ran 6G wheels on the track with his R and the wheels made contact with his caliper - long story, my buddy advised to stay away from them after he had to get his lawyer involved.

I'm frustrated about the upcoming track days this month and I won't have my CF wheels... That, and the fact that Ford denied the claim from a picture.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
[MENTION=20243]50 Deep[/MENTION]

If you're looking for track wheels, the Signature wheels are definitely worth a look. 20.4 lbs for 19x11 squared SV502 setup

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I concur with the 6GR, good looking but not for the track. All other trims without the 350 brakes are fine.

I was on the fence about forgeline and signature but ended up with forgelines due to heritage, resale value and I didn’t want to be the guinea pig on a “newish wheel”.

However at this point I wouldn’t hesistate going signature next time around.

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I'm working on picking up a set of Apex wheels / Nitto NT01's as we speak.

A friend of mine ran 6G wheels on the track with his R and the wheels made contact with his caliper - long story, my buddy advised to stay away from them after he had to get his lawyer involved.

I'm frustrated about the upcoming track days this month and I won't have my CF wheels... That, and the fact that Ford denied the claim from a picture.
I have a set of square rotatable 19x11 et50 SV104 wheels I can get shipped out to you ASAP. They are equipped with anti slip knurling in matte black. Should take 7-10 days and you will be on your feet. I will take care of you on the price also considering your situation. All you need is a 25mm spacer up front.
I concur with the 6GR, good looking but not for the track. All other trims without the 350 brakes are fine.

I was on the fence about forgeline and signature but ended up with forgelines due to heritage, resale value and I didn’t want to be the guinea pig on a “newish wheel”.

However at this point I wouldn’t hesistate going signature next time around.
Thanks bro. I wanted to work with you bad too. Always the future though :cheers:

OP
OP
Next Phase

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I have two hubcentric 25mm spacers you can have bro.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I have a set of BC Forged wheels (square set up) and already have a front set of 25mm spacers.

I have a set of Apex wheels and NT01 tires that I'm coordinating picking up in VA in the next couple of weeks so I should be all set for June 25/26.

:cheers:

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I would be surprised if it doesn't eventually get replaced under warranty. How big is the leak? Is this like a pin-point or a strip perforation (root canal treatment term, but I think it's clear what I mean from the context haha)? I'm asking because I'm wondering if it can be sealed/repaired from the inside.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Next Phase

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Not sure if this pic is coming through...

It's a discolored spot the size of a dime? It's not indented, pretty flat to the touch, but has some fiber/resin that seems to be poking up (if that makes sense). I asked Carbon Revolutions if I should dismount the tire to see whats on the other side. It has to go all the way through the wheel for it not to hold pressure.

I just don't see how anything could have caused the damage - debris, rubber, a hammer...lol
CF Wheel.jpg

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Sorry to hear about your dilemma and hope that everything gets resolved in your favor.

Took delivery of my 2018 R a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately the drivers side front wheel had a small chip in it with my dealership immediately ordering a new front wheel from Ford and was told that one was in stock and would be at the dealership within 4 days.

Four days later the dealership was advised that the wheel was on back order and not sure when the wheel will arrive so just took delivery of the car as is and will install the new wheel once it arrives.

The original wheel damage is very minor but will not accept with even just a minor chip and was originally told that I will be able to keep the damaged wheel once the replacement wheel arrives but will see when the time comes.

Bottom line is I don't know when this will all take place and if I will end up with an extra front wheel but once I find out more I will reach out to you and we can go from there.

Good luck and keep us all posted as to the end result!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Sorry to hear about your dilemma and hope that everything gets resolved in your favor.

Took delivery of my 2018 R a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately the drivers side front wheel had a small chip in it with my dealership immediately ordering a new front wheel from Ford and was told that one was in stock and would be at the dealership within 4 days.

Four days later the dealership was advised that the wheel was on back order and not sure when the wheel will arrive so just took delivery of the car as is and will install the new wheel once it arrives.

The original wheel damage is very minor but will not accept with even just a minor chip and was originally told that I will be able to keep the damaged wheel once the replacement wheel arrives but will see when the time comes.

Bottom line is I don't know when this will all take place and if I will end up with an extra front wheel but once I find out more I will reach out to you and we can go from there.

Wow. What a great guy!

Sorry to hear about your delivery issue. That is the part that always concerns me when ordering a vehicle. Glad to hear that your dealer is taking care of you.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Wow. What a great guy!

Sorry to hear about your delivery issue. That is the part that always concerns me when ordering a vehicle. Glad to hear that your dealer is taking care of you.
Just happy that I have a very close relationship with this dealer and of course it is Ford who is taking care of this issue and very appreciative of that.

OP
OP
Next Phase

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar

Wow,

I would really appreciate that, I would be interested in the blemished wheel as they are obviously my track set up.

Even if Ford approved my warranty claim, my concern was how fast I would be able to get a replacement. I was told they are on back-order and all production is going towards new cars.

Please keep me posted and we can work out a deal. I've been looking online and have had offers for $8k for a set of brand new CF wheels NIB. Tasca has a new front wheel at $2,650 and I'm trying to find out how fast they can get one to me.

*Edit - Tasca is on back order also for the CF wheels - no date available.

Sponsored

Last edited: