COVID-19 Question.....................

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Man cannot live on bread alone......

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I am just going to do what they tell me to do. I am a introvert so this is right up my alley. I do have to venture to my "Critical Infrastructure" job and then it's back home. Glad I have a job to go to.

Sponsored

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
I think we need to start a list of acceptable things to put in your mouth....

1. Steak
2. Alcohol
3. A woman's nipples
4. Alcohol
Blazing Saddles scene came to mind immediately during the scoundrel hiring. Headly replies " you said ""alcohol"" twice", reply "I like ""alcohol"".

Somebody needs to ride back into town and get a sh*tload of dimes.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Hey Vlad thank you for the post regarding the situation in your country. I think most in this forum would not have been able to relate without such a thorough explanation. Much easier to see where you are coming from.

Take care.

-T

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
One thing I think that makes the situation difficult is that people have a hard time understanding exponential growth. And with this virus, with its relatively long gestation period, it is especially difficult since you are operating with information that is a week or more old (by the time someone shows symptoms and gets tested, they have had been infected for a week or more, and have been spreading the disease for some of that time).

Therefore, any reaction on a scale needed to have a significant effect on the rate of growth, must be an over-reaction to what is known at the moment. This makes it tough for people to take seriously, because the current data makes the issue seem less significant than it actually is. You need to be looking at the two week projections to understand where we are headed without taking significant action.

What makes it worse than the regular flu (from what I understand) is that it transmits more easily and because it is new there are no immunities that slow the spread. So while the regular flu does end up infecting and killing lots of people, the rate at which it does is mostly well understood and is accounted for in our hospital capacity based on decades of experience.

The novel nature of this virus means that it will spread much more quickly, overwhelming the hospitals. This makes the virus itself more deadly, but also makes all other illnesses more deadly because those people can’t get the care they need either.

Obviously trashing the economy with these lockdowns will also have an effect on people’s health. Via loss of insurance, lack of money to spend on sanitation or healthy food, mental stress, etc.

It is a tough situation. I think if we had hit things harder more quickly, we might have been able to have a bigger impact. South Korea was very quick with testing, then using phones to track peoples movements and quarantine multiples layers of contact. It think it may be too late for that in the US since we did not take things seriously enough at the beginning.

I think we are in for a tough couple of months ahead.

EDIT: I like this YouTube channel for visual math and science explanations, and they had some neat simulations on virus spread. It shows that the social distancing can be effective, but is much more effective when the vast majority buy in. Even if you aren’t too interested in this video, many of the others are an interesting way to pass the time.

-T

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm shaking my head, fellas...

Vlad: What Constitutional Rights have been taken away, I'm curious?
You're kidding, right? Ability to assemble for one. Most of these state close down decrees will be shown to be partially unconstitutional. Closing gun stores. Don't want to get sick? don't touch your face. End of story. Fairly difficult to catch CoVid-19 otherwise. It does not aerosol.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Don't want to get sick? don't touch your face. End of story. Fairly difficult to catch CoVid-19 otherwise. It does not aerosol.
Experts argue otherwise. I hope you dont get sick or pass it along to your family based upon your beliefs.

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Experts argue otherwise. I hope you dont get sick or pass it along to your family based upon your beliefs.
NYC docs are saying, in normal public interactions, very rare to aerosol so wash your hands, never touch your face and stay 6 feet away from everyone. Also, maintain a small group of people that you interact with. I am not trying to be difficult but we have made an enormous bet on assuming that it is much more infectious than the normal flu, which it is, but you have to transmit it to your face somehow. Here is a great video from a NYC doctor which explains how to go about your life, what is going on in NYC and staying safe

The video is long but worth the time. Wash your hands, never touch your face and stay clear of people. If we could teach ourselves not to touch our face then it is very difficult for the virus to enter our bodies. People should act on their own beliefs but we are all learning more about the virus and how people are catching it. Mostly mass transit, large group gatherings and really bad personal habits.

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yea, and how's NYC doing now?
They also have the most experience. The current status has nothing to do with the virus. Rather, it has more to do with those in control not wanting to act fast enough for various reasons.

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
NYC and the other areas affected by the virus are providing invaluable data regarding the virus. Most states had to take draconian measures since most humans are idiots and go to Spring Break or Mardi Gras anyway and then take it home. Google the cell phone tracking of the Spring Breakers and where they went back. Every state east of the Mississippi. Those who normally come in contact with people over the age of 50 or people who are immune deficient should no longer have contact. No one knows who has it right now and testing may not catch up in time. Personal responsibility says take care of your family and friends regardless of what a state or federal official says.
Sponsored