COVID-19 Question.....................

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
One thing I think that makes the situation difficult is that people have a hard time understanding exponential growth. And with this virus, with its relatively long gestation period, it is especially difficult since you are operating with information that is a week or more old (by the time someone shows symptoms and gets tested, they have had been infected for a week or more, and have been spreading the disease for some of that time).
[......]

-T
Thank you. It makes a lot of sense. Seeing these things more clearly now makes it easier for me to come to terms with the current situation.
Besides, it seems that my fears were unfounded. I talked to people who went out of their houses recently, and they say everything is fine. I also took my car out for a quick drive yesterday, to keep its battery charged and to clean its brakes, and didn't see any law enforcement officers in the streets. And those who saw them or even interacted with them report that they were very polite and professional in their behaviour.
It appears that the enforcement of the lock-down happens in an unexpectedly civilized manner. At least so far.
So who knows, maybe I was wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thank you. It makes a lot of sense. Seeing these things more clearly now makes it easier for me to come to terms with the current situation.
Besides, it seems that my fears were unfounded. I talked to people who went out of their houses recently, and they say everything is fine. I also took my car out for a quick drive yesterday, to keep its battery charged and to clean its brakes, and didn't see any law enforcement officers in the streets. And those who saw them or even interacted with them report that they were very polite and professional in their behaviour.
It appears that the enforcement of the lock-down happens in an unexpectedly civilized manner. At least so far.
I'm happy to hear you and yours are doing well. What South Korea did right, much of the world is getting it wrong. NYC will turn out to be much worse. Many are trying to leave there to get away. What that means is further spread because as the good 'ol USA has demonstrated, people will do whatever the hell they want. Alexander Hamilton was right.... we are the masses of asses.

All these people running around and defying rules set for a very good reason are going to get a lot of people killed.

I read your story and understand your concerns. However the people of the world need to understand this is no joke.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It's good that things are on track. You're not wrong for keeping a critical eye on the situation though. Our democracies only survive tests like these through the will of concerned, involved citizens. Otherwise, Tomster's Hamilton quote is so correct that we are incapable of true self-governance.

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
You're kidding, right? Ability to assemble for one. Most of these state close down decrees will be shown to be partially unconstitutional. Closing gun stores. Don't want to get sick? don't touch your face. End of story. Fairly difficult to catch CoVid-19 otherwise. It does not aerosol.

This is 100% absolutely false ! Stop spreading bullshit . The virus can and does aerosolize . When an infected person sneezes our coughs the virus can remain airborne for up to 3 hours , but you can breath in virus particles if you are within 6 feet. This an important mode of transmission especially in our health care workers. It’s why regular face masks are not effective protecting me when I care for these patients and the shortage of N95 masks ( for airborne virus particles suspended in fine droplets of liquid ) Is so horrible . It’s why we take Droplet precautions AND airborne precautions taking care of these pts because we have to be within 6 feet ! The only reason the CDC relaxed PPE requirements is due to our horrible shortage in this country and don’t get me started on that. Fomite transmission and “ touching things then your face IS a key mode of transmission but I wish it were that simple . We have a thing called scientific process and people are actually studying the virus , how it spreads and where it is in infected pt rooms . There is much REAL data from South Korea , Italy and Washington State on this and not one docs “opinion”.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
It does not aerosol.
Dangerous and 100% FAKE NEWS. The aerosol spread is what is viral loading healthcare workers and killing young healthy people. You should be perma-banned for posting such stupidity.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
People are definitely not taking this seriously.

Case in point, my trip to the grocery store early Saturday morning for a few items. I was astounded to see ENTIRE FAMILIES roaming around aimlessly with giant cart loads, as if it were an outing. I'm puzzled as to how the whole shelter at home and only venture out for what you absolutely need thing is going to work with morons like this out there.

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

Case in point, my trip to the grocery store early Saturday morning for a few items. I was astounded to see ENTIRE FAMILIES roaming around aimlessly with giant cart loads, as if it were an outing. I'm puzzled as to how the whole shelter at home and only venture out for what you absolutely need thing is going to work with morons like this out there.
Many are not , as a physician I like data as it takes opinion out of the equation. Let’s look at data on whether strict shelter at home policies work between two major cities NYC and San Francisco. San Francisco adopted early and NYC waited a week later to restrict resident movements.

View attachment 451397
upload_2020-3-30_8-40-32.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Venomous Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500/2019 F-350 / 2021 Bronco First Edition
I agree, I was shocked when I went to Home Depot Saturday morning to hunt for some n95 masks ( or filters cause my wife is sewing our own), just to run into a pile of morons and whole families. Looked like a hybrid of hurricane supply madness and deck and fence building frenzy. They were lined up from the registers to the back of the store with carts loaded to the gills. The depot didn’t seem to have one care in the world about it. I promptly left to see what Lowe’s looked like, I’ve gotta say that I was impressed. They had plexiglass up for the cashiers and had marks on the floor to show people where to stand. They also had a sign that you literally had to walk around that highlighted their social distancing guidelines.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Yeah, when I do a supply run (been limiting this to every 4 days or so), I go around 9a, store opens at 8a, but I found there's always a bunch of people waiting and they usually put out fresh meats a little later in the morning. I go by myself, I have a list made in advance (and know how to quickly navigate the aisles), I just tactically avoid people, move quick, I take a handful of wipes for the cart, the keypad at checkout, continuously wipe my hands - when I get home we have like a staging area where we wipe everything down, remove things from packaging where applicable, and through all this, do several rounds of proper hand washing.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Many are not , as a physician I like data as it takes opinion out of the equation. Let’s look at data on whether strict shelter at home policies work between two major cities NYC and San Francisco. San Francisco adopted early and NYC waited a week later to restrict resident movements.

View attachment 451397
upload_2020-3-30_8-40-32.jpeg
Awesome post. Hope this helps people better understand the shelter at home issue. As an engineer I often take the position “data talks, bull$#!t walks. Thanks for the data.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
From another thread

dont worry guys, about 2 more weeks b4peopel realize it was a nothingburger :)
I'm sure that's how this whole thing will be remembered :crazy:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)