Sponsored

COVID-19 Question.....................

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
your graphic is from https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

And the CDC data shows 40% of those in US hospitalized with severe infections are under 55.
Sure. But that's not important. What percentage of gen pop under 55 are going to the hospital? That's what's relevant to do we panic or not.

There's plenty of people who are fit as a fiddle 20-40yr old who just keel over and die or succumb to stupid shit out of the blue. We don't make broader policy over insignificant outliers.

There are a zillion unhealthy/elevated-risk 20-50yr olds be it obesity, pulmonary maladies, asthma, etc. Those people are already on the Reaper's list be it from flu, it's follow-ons, or Chinese Wuhan. So maybe this year the lucky ones who dodged the flu get caught up in this.

So what if 50,000 die? That's still HALF of what the medical industry kills EVERY SINGLE YEAR in the USA from the 2 million cases of infections ACQUIRED at the hospital! HAIs are responsible for more deaths in the United States than the top leading causes of death. These infections, hospitalizations, intangibles, such as grief and anxiety, and dollars spent are all preventable
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096239/

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What do you recommend?
Chill the hell out and do the usual and customary cleanliness procedures. If you're sick, stay the hell away from people. If you're old, or in high risk bracket protect yourself from others. If that means you barricade your door or walk around with single-use gloves, have at it. My guess the medicines that were first identified in 2005 (!!) will get broad use. The pernicious problem with Chinese Wuhan is that it takes so long to manifest itself if it shows symptoms at all. Which means you can't "self-cull". The unfortunate outcome is anyone and everybody could have it.

Turning the world economy upside down for no gain is as useful as screaming at cancer.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Chill the hell out and do the usual and customary cleanliness procedures. If you're sick, stay the hell away from people. If you're old, or in high risk bracket protect yourself from others. If that means you barricade your door or walk around with single-use gloves, have at it. My guess the medicines that were first identified in 2005 (!!) will get broad use. The pernicious problem with Chinese Wuhan is that it takes so long to manifest itself if it shows symptoms at all. Which means you can't "self-cull". The unfortunate outcome is anyone and everybody could have it.
So, if not sick, continue with business as usual is your recommendation?

Sponsored

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
This is where we were 11 months ago and no one was worried.

This is just in the U.S. Really, 41.3 million infected and 57,300 deaths and no one panics.

upload_2020-3-20_12-32-46.png
upload_2020-3-20_12-33-21.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, if not sick, continue with business as usual is your recommendation?
what else are you gonna do? stay home forever? Say we all retreat to our homes and weld the doors shut for a month, hell make it 3. No more infections right? Then the all-clear sounds and we emerge like cicadas after 17 years underground. Oh, and before being allowed to unweld the door you have to pass a screening test. So far so good. Then in a few weeks the virus (or worse a mutation) pops up and starts spreading again. What have you solved?

Ok, so granny lived for 3 more months in isolation. At what cost?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
what else are you gonna do? stay home forever? Say we all retreat to our homes and weld the doors shut for a month, hell make it 3. No more infections right? Then the all-clear sounds and we emerge like cicadas after 17 years underground. Oh, and before being allowed to unweld the door you have to pass a screening test. So far so good. Then in a few weeks the virus (or worse a mutation) pops up and starts spreading again. What have you solved?

Ok, so granny lived for 3 more months in isolation. At what cost?
Interesting approach. Don't agree with it, but interesting.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
PS. My great aunt on my Dad's side was from Bucharest. I hear it's quite lovely today.
It is. The communist regime did leave some deep, ugly scars on its face, which unfortunately will never heal, but apart from that it has recovered quite nicely. It's very lively, with a mostly young population and awesome night life, it's safe, clean, and the climate is nice. It's especially beautiful in spring and early summer, when trees are blooming and there's a persistent linden smell all over the city.
The traffic is horrendous, though. And the local drivers are some of the worst in the world.

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

Turning the world economy upside down for no gain is as useful as screaming at cancer.
A large percentage of people can be transmitting the virus with minimal or no symptoms , this is what occurs early in every pandemic. And yes by everyone staying home you will be helping protect other healthy people AND the vulnerable populations especially. But again young healthy people are getting sick and requiring ICU care as well. If people would stop being in denial and do the right thing we won’t need to drag this out ! 40% of people in the US ended up acquiring H1N1 , if this happens here then you are looking at a horrible situation beyond temporary economic consequences. No need for fear or panic , but ignoring this is just plain ignorant.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Matt: You are obviously up to date on many topics and I salute you for that.

However comma, if you are suggesting that people carry on business as usual, I would very strongly disagree.

We don't know if there will be a second strain, to my knowledge we've never had a major secondary outbreak of Flu, (don't quote me on that,) and I don't think we should just assume there will be.

From where I sit, slowly and ultimately halting the infection rate is the Prime Directive at the moment. I believe if we are able to accomplish that, the economy will take care of itself.

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think I found the answer to COVID-19. It is the dirty country of India. Even my boss doesn't want to go home he tells me it is so filthy. They even have the plague.

Since their immune systems are so tough nothing phases them. We need to take their blood and make a vaccine.

Look how many people and look how many cases they have.

upload_2020-3-20_13-47-53.png

upload_2020-3-20_13-49-17.png

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
I think I found the answer to COVID-19. It is the dirty country of India. Even my boss doesn't want to go home he tells me it is so filthy. They even have the plague.

Since their immune systems are so tough nothing phases them. We need to take their blood and make a vaccine.

Look how many people and look how many cases they have.

upload_2020-3-20_13-47-53.png

upload_2020-3-20_13-49-17.png
No testing, as you said, just one of many things that afflict them. Warm weather probably helping.
Sponsored