COVID-19 Question.....................

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Matt: The link is to a secure server it would appear and I was only four so I definitely don't remember it..
So I was twice as old as you at one point? :shock:
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There's something I don't get. I would expect people who are desperately scared by this disease to hoard basic food items, soap, disinfectants, things like that. Maybe even booze. But toilet paper? Why stock up so massively on toilet paper? Are they expecting to suffer from extreme diarrhea every day over the next few weeks? Are they planning to have laxatives for breakfast?

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Vlad: I'm chuckling as I type...

I think the reason behind the attempts to corner the TP market are mainly due to the fear people have of NOT having TP. <grin> KnowhatImeanVern? :=)

PS. My great aunt on my Dad's side was from Bucharest. I hear it's quite lovely today.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Consider it Black Friday and the movie Groundhog Day wrapped into one package. I’m more concerned about the mania caused by the virus than the virus itself.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not sure if or how it will pan out for COVID, but we used to take primaquine and chloroquine as preventative medication for malaria; they were not treatments. I can't remember the exact routine, but we would have to start about a month before going into an affected area. One you would take weekly, the other daily (the diarrhea that resulted would clear up after a few days). We would continue the routine until 30 days after return--then couldn't donate blood for the next year or something like that. Eventually, they were combined and you would take "primaquine-chloroquine". Probably still got some foil packs in a footlocker somewhere. Now, mefloquine is most often used, though some can't tolerate it and it causes weird dreams for some. For those who actually catch malaria the treatment is completely different and very extensive, making the pain of morning malaria tablet formations all worth it.

Again, not sure if any of that will apply to COVID, but would be nice if it does.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Very good info Cab, thank you.

I just saw this on the Web and thought it was worth posting here because of the wide audience. The quote is from Francis Collins who is the Director of the National Institutes of Health.

----

Media: Can the U.S. avoid the dire Italy-like situation?

Collins:

We should be able to blunt it. But let's be clear: There's going to be a very
rough road in the weeks and months ahead of us. They are trying to manage the
situation and make awful decisions about who gets a ventilator and who doesn't.
God help us if this happens more broadly across the world and we certainly hope
that it doesn't happen here.

When you make a decision about one of these measures, such as social distancing,
and it's front of mind for everybody, don't expect that you can see an immediate
consequence. Right now, in the U.S., we supposedly have 6,500 cases (as of March
16). That's got to be a vast underestimate because we have not been able to
sample all the people who may be infected or who have no symptoms at all. Some
of these people are already destined to become very sick.

If we did everything right today, you would still see the numbers going up over
the next two weeks because of what's out there already. We can't change that.
But, what we might be able to do is change what's going to happen three or four
weeks from now. That's our challenge. When you're on an exponential curve every
moment is dangerous. This is a particularly critical moment for us to try to
bring all the resources and determination of government and the American people
to try to get off of it.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Good article KB. I'm convinced that we are still at a point where our individual and collective actions/reactions will either make us stronger or further fracture us (nationally and internationally). I'm hopeful for the former. Can't say when the after party will be, but believe we should have one eye toward it while the other eye is laser focused on the here and now.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Agree completely, KB.

Below is a translation of the nation-wide measures that went into effect last week where I am. Same holds true for all neighboring nations. A few measures were already in place; the 13 March update simply added a few. It appears to be having a positive affect, though now there is the question of whether there will be a new spike when things go back to "normal"

This doesn't mention it, but vets and pet shops are also open so Fido gets taken care of. Also, a lot of effort went into setting up homeschooling mechanisms via internet prior to the measures being enacted.

----------------

Below measures have been taken as of midnight today, March 13:

- Restaurants, bars, clubs will be closed until April 3. Hotels will remain open but will not provide restaurant service. Drive-ins will continue to be accessible.

- Stores will be closed on weekends, except the groceries/food related stores and pharmacies.

- All sports/youth activities are cancelled until April 3

- All cultural events, concerts included, no matter the number of attendees, will be closed.

- All schools will close as of Monday, March 15 until the beginning of the Easter break, April 3. Teachers will be present to welcome the children of parents in the health sector and those children who don't have any other option.

- The XXXX government encourages employees to telework as much as possible

- Public transportation will remain available but the XXX government recommends using other options (walking, bicycling)

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When you're on an exponential curve every
moment is dangerous.
hey doc, you realize Flu is an exponential curve too, right?
Measles has one HELL of a curve and it estimated to have killed 110,000 young children back in 2017.
https://www.who.int/immunization/newsroom/measles-data-2019/en/

Media: Can the U.S. avoid the dire Italy-like situation?
8% of those with bad enough symptoms to get diagnosed are dying. This is probably what China was actually experiencing. It's a damn shame they are not publishing age and racial/national makeup of the victims.

Italy's 65+ are 23% of gen pop. The world average is 8%. China 11, USA 16.
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.65UP.TO.ZS

Is Covid really so bad? Say we lose 50,000 here in USA. That's just parity with flu. The Italians lose on the order of 20,000/yr to flu on any given year anyway (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285) - the gift of socialized medicine, bitches. If this was wiping out gen pop to any serious degree, go ahead PANIC away, but it's not. The economic value of old people is a tiny fraction of the rest of society.

Last edited:

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
A cure? No. A therapy to alleviate the symptoms is more accurate. Chloroquine is the US focus now, it's a malaria drug that has positive side effects in the treatment of the effects of the coronavirus. Not a cure, more of a therapy.
No, a cure. All of the original Chinese that brought it to Australia were free in 48 hours.

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/cure-found-for-coronavirus-in-australia/3973564/

Update: I cannot find the article that says 48 hours at the moment. But this different cure is in Japan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

upload_2020-3-20_7-53-18.png

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The question, then, is if there is truly a cure, how long will it take to be made in quantity to matter?
Sponsored