Sponsored

COVID-19 Question.....................

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Annual Flu 490,600 hospitalizations and 34,200 deaths.

Case fatality rate on the same testing basis for Coronavirus today: 6.97%

Right now, Corona in US, 31,888 positives, 398 deaths.

Case fatality rate considering that essentially all Coronavirus tests to date have been in hospitals: 1.25%

But that's not fair, because the CDC says only 12% of "cases" are hospitalized. Ok, so we'll adjust:

3,826 positives, 398 deaths.

Case fatality rate when comparing like for like: 10.4%.

Is Coronavirus more deadly than seasonal flu? Yes.

Is it 10 or 100x more deadly to the point that we should shut down the economy and spazz out?

NO.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=238608
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Case fatality rate considering that essentially all Coronavirus tests to date have been in hospitals: 1.25%

But that's not fair, because the CDC says only 12% of "cases" are hospitalized. Ok, so we'll adjust:

Is it 10 or 100x more deadly to the point that we should shut down the economy and spazz out?

NO.

You are right, and everyone is wrong. Yea, OK.

People like you that think like you are going to get a lot of people killed.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I think he has a rational, data based opinion Tom. Where we are going with this debacle is anyone's guess though at this point. We have no idea where we'll be in X number of days.

dsz blade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT PP1

NO.

Why are you ignoring that corona is almost twice as infectious as the flu?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why are you ignoring that corona is almost twice as infectious as the flu?
because that doesn't matter at all. Nearly everybody is going to get it if they haven't already. There were a lot of very 'odd' flus back in Oct Nov and into Jan.

The data doesn't remotely support the hyperbole nor panic. Remember 100,000/yr DIE from hospital acquired infections for a 5% kill rate. That's 274/day of innocent people who had the misfortune of going to the hospital expecting to get better but were instead murdered by the "do no harm" professionals. This virus has killed a pitiful 500 in 2.5 months or 6/day and 1.2% kill rate. Now tell me which one is the greater scourge?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think he has a rational, data based opinion Tom. Where we are going with this debacle is anyone's guess though at this point. We have no idea where we'll be in X number of days.
And so do the experts in virology and infectious diseases. That's right, experts, like the WHO, CDC, and every other medical opinion on the planet.

He always has been and always will be a tool. Like I said, he and people like him are going to get a lot of people hurt or killed.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
because that doesn't matter at all. Nearly everybody is going to get it if they haven't already. There were a lot of very 'odd' flus back in Oct Nov and into Jan.

The data doesn't remotely support the hyperbole nor panic. Remember 100,000/yr DIE from hospital acquired infections. That's 274/day. This virus has killed a pitiful 500 in 2.5 months or 6/day. Now tell me which one is the greater scourge?
The whole point of this is to not allow the hospitals and ERs to get over run. There's more to it than statistics and numbers.

Here's your homework assignment. Go out and get infected (if you are not already based upon your behavior and beliefs). Report back how it goes.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's your homework assignment. Go out and get infected (if you are not already based upon your behavior and beliefs). Report back how it goes.
I do go out and I still shake people's hands. I may well be infected. Or maybe I already got it months ago. You can't tell looking at a person if they are infected. If you think destroying the economy is going to "work" to limit spread you're nuts. Billions in economic damage will simply set the infection rate back one or two iterations. In a matter of weeks the hospitals will be "overwhelmed" no matter what you do. But that whole premise is without any factual evidence. Only 15% of the *known* infections land a person in the hospital (CDC). There are easily MILLIONS already infected in the USA. They don't register on the stats because they have no/mild symptoms.

All the people just going to the grocery store and gas stations are spreading it far and wide. You Tom probably already infected, just don't know it.

If you can't understand the basic math and the papers already published by the medical authorities that have proven the "burn the economy to the ground to save it" doesn't actually work, you should turn off the boob tube.

Remember Swine flu killed 12,000 people, indeed 1000 were DEAD before Obama did anything. And remember the mass house-arrest policies and dictats from various State govenors that destroyed millions of businesses? And all the halts to immigration and international flights being stopped? Yeah, I don't either.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I do go out and I still shake people's hands. I may well be infected. Or maybe I already got it months ago. You can't tell looking at a person if they are infected. If you think destroying the economy is going to "work" to limit spread you're nuts. Billions in economic damage will simply set the infection rate back one or two iterations. In a matter of weeks the hospitals will be "overwhelmed" no matter what you do.

All the people just going to the grocery store and gas stations are spreading it far and wide. You Tom probably already infected, just don't know it.
Time is the enemy..... and yes, the fewer that are infected equates to the drastically reduced exponential related infections that will break our healthcare system. You know, the people of Italy shared a similar viewpoint of yours. They realized that mistake way too late. BAM! The hospitals were overrun and supplies were insufficient.

You Tom probably already infected, just don't know it.
Thank you doctor. I'll rely on facts, and not assume that I am and selfishly spread it around like I didn't care (like you).

I do go out and I still shake people's hands.
And if I am infected, its because of selfish people like you. I'm curious.... Are you one of those young demographics? How old are you?

I may well be infected. Or maybe I already got it months ago.
So lets spread it around and hope for the best, huh?

If you think destroying the economy is going to "work" to limit spread you're nuts.
What China did to try to contain this thing was the use of police and military force after a long period of denial. Because many people in our society like you can't stomach the correct course of action, We don't have those kinds of options available. Instead, governments ask us to exercise social distancing and most do. But then there are people like you. Out and about, spreading it around, shaking hands, and you are probably hanging out in the parks or going to the beaches.

Doing nothing will lead to the collapse of our society and economy. Many more would die. The experts in this matter (unlike you) are trying to slow this pandemic down to minimize damage to both the economy and our healthcare system and save as many lives as possible.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Tom, I agree with you completely. Nations are approaching this like a delaying action in combat, which makes sense. Don't fight a war of attrition against an enemy that has superior firepower. Delay him while you maneuver to a position of advantage and/or mass your fires. In this case, delay COVID while we prepare our hospitals, get testing up to speed, get necessary medical supplies and work on treatments/vaccines. If we stand flatfooted and try to absorb the blow, COVID will overwhelm us. We also seem to be realizing that no one country can take this on alone. False bravado and competition do not serve anyone well in this situation; cooperation and collaboration do. To paraphrase Winston Churchill: the only thing more difficult than fighting with Allies is fighting without them.

Maybe I'm foolishly optimistic, but I believe in the long run our citizens will make the personal sacrifices necessary for us to emerge better off than we were when this started.

I gotta say, as interesting as it is to hear from our leaders, the daily briefings turn me off for the terrible example they set (standing shoulder to shoulder, excuses, blame, etc), but that's a different story.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I enjoy the the briefings if for anything the data they provide. And I agree we need to get ahead of this mess and fight it head on.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
I’m a healthcare provider and this thing is about as strange as I’ve ever seen. That being said, I’m of the mindset that shutting my practice down for a few weeks and avoiding people will end this sooner rather than later and be less of an economic burden. In the meantime, I’m praying for good weather to take some extended cruises in this beast of a car while “social distancing.” lol
Sponsored