Considering moving from a 350 to 500

Sixx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
19 GT 350
As the thread title states, I am considering moving to the 500. My 350 is a 2019 with the Handling an Tech packages, and I have no complaints. It is a great car. That said, I am really interested in a 500 with the CF package. I would miss the manual in the 350, but I do recognize and appreciate a good DCT (previously had a 981 Boxster GTS with PDK).

I would be interested in hearing from former 350 owners that either went to/or added a 500.

My biggest reservation is the dealer markups which are crazy here in California. Perhaps I will tell them I want a "market" adjustment on my trade, lol.
Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
As the thread title states, I am considering moving to the 500. My 350 is a 2019 with the Handling an Tech packages, and I have no complaints. It is a great car. That said, I am really interested in a 500 with the CF package. I would miss the manual in the 350, but I do recognize and appreciate a good DCT (previously had a 981 Boxster GTS with PDK).

I would be interested in hearing from former 350 owners that either went to/or added a 500.

My biggest reservation is the dealer markups which are crazy here in California. Perhaps I will tell them I want a "market" adjustment on my trade, lol.
It seems the ADM only works one way. They take it but don't give it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I went from a 350 to the 500. Loved the 350 and enjoy the 500 just as much if not more. The only downside, if it matters, is rather poor fuel economy. Beyond that, all win.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have both. Both are great cars for what they are. My take on it is they are different tools in the tool box. On a big track, the 500 is a monster. On a smaller track the R shines.

I like rowing my own gears like anyone else, but the DCT is amazing. The 500 puts the power down very much like the GT350..... It is planted. Its amazing how well it does so. It will step out from time to time while really pushing it, but even in track mode, it is controllable with just minor corrections needed (that is unless you do something stupid).

My only bitch about the 500 CFTP is the weight. It is a 4,000 pound car. With that said, it handles very well at that weight.

Another complaint that is not necessarily specific to the 500 is the quality of the build. 2020 was a horrible year for everyone and unfortunately the build quality of the 350 and the 500 suffered. I hope Ford got their act together and will have all these issues corrected for the 2021 model year.

I can't say go get one blindly. It comes down to you and what you want. If you can't have both, you have to figure out which one you want to go with and the only real way to do that is to drive a 500. My impressions of the 500 initially were not great. I say this because the car is a gas hog and the engineers have programmed normal mode and sport mode to run around at the lowest practical RPM available for fuel savings. In these modes, if you put your foot down, it seems that the computer thinks about it for a bit (longer than I care) and then goes into action. You can do one of two things, run around in track mode (which I don't do because the RPMs are always riding a bit too high for normal driving), or use manual mode and control your own RPMs and shift points with the paddles. Two taps of the downshift paddle while you are putting the pedal to the floor, and you turn into a rocket ship. If you are doing something like talking on the phone or are occupied on something else, I don't use manual mode because you may forget to shift. The good news is that the computer won't let you exceed any limitation, but running at a real high RPM isn't optimal either.

With all that said, I love the car. I'm glad I didn't have to choose.

Blackbite

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Vehicle(s)
2003 mustang cobra, 2019 GT350R
I purchased my GT350R late in that model year knowing the 500 was coming. I instantly recognized I would not pay retarded markups for the CFHP and really wanted the manual. After 1.5 years of ownership, I can say the car is amazing. Never looked back. But... I am currently waiting for my next chapter. I placed an order for a base 500 (with some goodies) which is set to hit production in April. I fell very blessed to be able to have both and look forward to its receipt. I think both are amazing cars and either decision will not be the “wrong” one!

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0

I have thought about the same, also have a 19 GT350, and I think that it is an exceptional car, I do miss heading to the Drag Strip and the 350 is not the car for that. Only thing keeping me out of a swap to a 500 base w/handling package is the ADMs. I sure in hell am not going to pay it on a leftover 2020, and don't think I would consider it on a 2021. I'm a patient guy and the right deal will come.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
I have thought about the same, also have a 19 GT350, and I think that it is an exceptional car, I do miss heading to the Drag Strip and the 350 is not the car for that. Only thing keeping me out of a swap to a 500 base w/handling package is the ADMs. I sure in hell am not going to pay it on a leftover 2020, and don't think I would consider it on a 2021. I'm a patient guy and the right deal will come.
I’m the same as you. I know I will end up with one eventually but going to be patient and wait for prices to come down a bit. I may even buy a used one with a few miles. I did check on trade in value for my 19 350 and the dealer offered 54k which I thought was pretty decent. I really would like to have both

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I’m the same as you. I know I will end up with one eventually but going to be patient and wait for prices to come down a bit. I may even buy a used one with a few miles. I did check on trade in value for my 19 350 and the dealer offered 54k which I thought was pretty decent. I really would like to have both
Trades have a wild swing, I have been offered as much as 58k on trade with a 5k ADM on new 2020 500, then no ADM on new but 53k trade. Either way they are getting the 5k.

OP
OP

Sixx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
19 GT 350
We shall see how things go. The markups I am finding here in the Bay Area are anywhere from $20k to $50k over. I will be patient and wait for a deal to materialize. Perhaps with the 2021 order book open, dealers will relent some on the 2020s.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
We shall see how things go. The markups I am finding here in the Bay Area are anywhere from $20k to $50k over. I will be patient and wait for a deal to materialize. Perhaps with the 2021 order book open, dealers will relent some on the 2020s.
Why not buy out of state at MSRP and drive back or have it shipped to SF? Maybe Cali doesn't allow for that?

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Why not buy out of state at MSRP and drive back or have it shipped to SF? Maybe Cali doesn't allow for that?
Vehicle need to have a minimum of 7500 miles to legally register an out-of-sate car that is not Carb ( California air resource board) compliant
Only exception that I know off is for military

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
Vehicle need to have a minimum of 7500 miles to legally register an out-of-sate car that is not Carb ( California air resource board) compliant
Only exception that I know off is for military

Not TRUE, I bought a NEW 2020 GT500 from Texas ( I believe ALL US cars are CA COMPLAINT)!!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Not TRUE, I bought a NEW 2020 GT500 from Texas ( I believe ALL US cars are CA COMPLAINT)!!!
Correct. The only problem is that the dealers in some states that have high ADMs sometimes refuse to service the vehicles purchased out of state. They can't do that, but it has happened.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Luc, the GT500 is compliant. I sent you a PM if you are interested in ordering a GT500.
Sponsored

Reactions: luc