Connecting Rods for a 1500WHP Engine?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So that's why you should spend the same money on a rod with inferior hardware?
Not particularly. H-Tuffs can be had for under $900 a set and have proven themselves at that price. Obviously huge power builds would definitely have piece of mind going to the next level.
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Not particularly. H-Tuffs can be had for under $900 a set and have proven themselves at that price. Obviously huge power builds would definitely have piece of mind going to the next level.
I'm familiar with them as I have a set in another engine. That being, there are more affordable rods that are proven and have 7/16 bolts. That being said, I'd consider units such as molnar power adder being a better value.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm familiar with them as I have a set in another engine. That being, there are more affordable rods that are proven and have 7/16 bolts. That being said, I'd consider units such as molnar power adder being a better value.
those Molnars are seriously cheap.... 666 bux
FH5933RFB-T8-A

OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The engine I'm building is using a 5.2L cross plane crank and is expected to make in the neighborhood of 1500whp. I've used Oliver billet rods in another engine that made 1000whp and never had any issues. The folks at Oliver said their billet rods are not rated to the power level of the new engine and I'd be rolling the dice if I use them.

The machine shop has H-Tuff rods in stock and has had good luck with them in high HP engines which is why I was leaning in that direction. I can't find a vendor with the Boostline or Callies rods in stock. For what I've already spent on the engine an extra $500-$1000 for peace of mind is worth it.

Any recommendations on where to source the rods?

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The engine I'm building is using a 5.2L cross plane crank and is expected to make in the neighborhood of 1500whp. I've used Oliver billet rods in another engine that made 1000whp and never had any issues. The folks at Oliver said their billet rods are not rated to the power level of the new engine and I'd be rolling the dice if I use them.

The machine shop has H-Tuff rods in stock and has had good luck with them in high HP engines which is why I was leaning in that direction. I can't find a vendor with the Boostline or Callies rods in stock. For what I've already spent on the engine an extra $500-$1000 for peace of mind is worth it.

Tkm

OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks. They were a source I considered but the rods are on backorder. No shop I've asked can give me a confident estimate on lead time.

I was hoping to find a source that has a set in stock. I have everything else I need to put this motor together.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Thanks. They were a source I considered but the rods are on backorder. No shop I've asked can give me a confident estimate on lead time.

I was hoping to find a source that has a set in stock. I have everything else I need to put this motor together.
Engine parts in general are difficult to source... ugh.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I used modmax, they had some.

Sponsored
OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
That's the best price I've seen for Boostline rods. I was told by a reputable builder that the Boostline rods are manufactured overseas and finish machined in the USA and that he has had some quality issues with the rod bolt threads in the past. Callies doesn't make an H beam in a 5.933 length and Oliver doesn't offer the speedway series rod in a 5.933 length.

If you guys were making the choice would you go with Callies Ultra I beam or Boostline? Mine isn't a max effort race engine and I don't plan to buzz the motor past 7500 so I'm happy to trade some weight for strength and also can't justify the cost of 300M as an option.

Nctong01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang D1X GT, 2018 GT350, '17 Turbo Silverado, '99 Turbo Integra
Not to slam anyone, but without going into detail I had a negative experience with CNC. I ended up going through Lethal...with a 5% off code they're virtually the same price.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Not to slam anyone, but without going into detail I had a negative experience with CNC. I ended up going through Lethal...with a 5% off code they're virtually the same price.
That stinks. Ive bought from cnc without issue.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That's the best price I've seen for Boostline rods. I was told by a reputable builder that the Boostline rods are manufactured overseas and finish machined in the USA and that he has had some quality issues with the rod bolt threads in the past. Callies doesn't make an H beam in a 5.933 length and Oliver doesn't offer the speedway series rod in a 5.933 length.

If you guys were making the choice would you go with Callies Ultra I beam or Boostline? Mine isn't a max effort race engine and I don't plan to buzz the motor past 7500 so I'm happy to trade some weight for strength and also can't justify the cost of 300M as an option.
All All All of your big name rods companies have their rods forged overseas and finished in the U.S. Manley, Carrillo, Callies, k1, eagle, speedmaster, scat, molnar, all forged overseas and finished in the U.S.
You need to find a new builder because I have a set of Callies H beam 5.933 in my engine right now and can get you the part number
Sponsored

Last edited: