Cold Start muted?

dougie360

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I’ve been used to the loud cold start sounds since getting my 2019. Just crossed 2,000 miles. However, during my cold starts the last few times it has sounded a little muted - kind of how it sounds like after it has already warmed up. Really doesn’t sound like all the valves open with that “braaap” of a cold start. I can drive around and switch to Sport mode and the exhaust note is there. Anyone experience this?
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If you press the start button without clutching in, the valves will do cycle, and finish in the closed position so you can have a muted cold start. I can't remember if it'll also cycle if you just clutch in without pressing start button.

O-H-5-0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350; 2016 F-150
If you press the start button without clutching in, the valves will do cycle, and finish in the closed position so you can have a muted cold start. I can't remember if it'll also cycle if you just clutch in without pressing start button.
^this

And yes, it will also cycle if you clutch in without pressing start.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Clutch in and push start quickly as noted the valves will cycle when you push in the clutch. Hit start before they close again for loud start.

OP
OP
dougie360

dougie360

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Is there any visual indicator to know if start will have valves open or closed? It had defaulted to the loud cold start, and then all of sudden I had the muted starts but don't believe I had changed how I started. Would be great though to have the option knowingly that that start could be muted (for those early morning starts when I don't want to piss off the neighborhood).

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Has anyone removed the valves or fixed them permanently open? I find it particularly annoying that 6th in sport mode closes the valves and sounds like a escaping fart.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
you can just but exhaust without valves and put the eliminators on the plugs.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Has anyone removed the valves or fixed them permanently open? I find it particularly annoying that 6th in sport mode closes the valves and sounds like a escaping fart.
I believe there's a module out there that can control this without interfering with the drive modes. Word of serious caution, it'll drone like a cow being molested by a power drill.

The exhaust system is directly close looped in with the drive modes except for the killswitch built into the exhaust mode button which isn't active when the car is off. Thus the car always starts up in normal mode and the car does a diagnostic check to make sure the valves are in their proper proper position on startup. So if you shut the car down with the valves open and then go back to the car, quickly press the clutch in and smash that Start button in quick succession, the valves will still be open for a brief moment as the car is going through its check cycle which will give you a quick OBNOXIOUS bark on startup. If you're a pinch slower and the valves are partially closed during your start up, the car will close the valves, open them fully, and then fully close them to complete their check. If the valves are fully closed, the car will start up "quietly" and the valves won't open. A depression of the clutch even when not in Accessory mode will prime the fuel system (that's the buzzing noise you hear) and do a diagnostic on the drive modes. If you're in your garage or a quiet area and you listen carefully, you can listen to the valves open and close. They almost sound like a spoon rubbing against a coffee can. If you want to ensure a quiet start, press the clutch in and wait for all the goofy sounds to stop. Fire it up and you'll have happy neighbors/girlfriend/wife/whatever.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
the hellcats have a kit you can install on the exhaust valves. it doesn't mess with the ECU at all. I forget exactly how it works but it fools the car into thinking the valves are still closing and opening according to the drive modes when in reality they are always open.

someone needs to build something like this for the shellby.

Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
the hellcats have a kit you can install on the exhaust valves. it doesn't mess with the ECU at all. I forget exactly how it works but it fools the car into thinking the valves are still closing and opening according to the drive modes when in reality they are always open.

someone needs to build something like this for the shellby.
Grimmspeed's exhaust defeat plugs do exactly that. Only down side is you can't open or close the valves at will. AWE tuning makes a module that plugs into the valve actuator harnesses that allows you to open or close at will for cold starts, 6th gear, etc. Grimmspeed is the more economical option of the 2 considering the AWE module is almost $250 vs. $60 for the plugs.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
An escaping fart? :facepalm:

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Grimmspeed's exhaust defeat plugs do exactly that. Only down side is you can't open or close the valves at will. AWE tuning makes a module that plugs into the valve actuator harnesses that allows you to open or close at will for cold starts, 6th gear, etc. Grimmspeed is the more economical option of the 2 considering the AWE module is almost $250 vs. $60 for the plugs.
Thank you!! This is exactly want I’m looking for, reading about the awe now. I do events at Waterford hills with a sound issue and want them stuck closed, but besides early morning cold starts, want them open, partially 6th gear. $250 is a reasonable price for the convenience to fix all this!

Ty again!

Edit: having a hard time finding this to buy, anyone have a link for a gt350R?

Edit 2: this is the one, it lists focus rs and that is what will work with gt350: https://www.awe-tuning.com/switchpath-exhaust-remote

Embarrassingly, I even commented in this thread and forgot: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/keep-active-exhaust-closed-w-wot.123673/

Last edited:

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I just realized one thing.

Don’t we have direct control of the exhaust valves by using the toggle switch in the center stack regardless of drive modes?

That defeats the purpose of this AWE kit doesn’t it?

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I just realized one thing.

Don’t we have direct control of the exhaust valves by using the toggle switch in the center stack regardless of drive modes?

That defeats the purpose of this AWE kit doesn’t it?
You can control exhaust, dampers, and steering feel independent of the drive mode.

But no matter what you do, either the toggle switch in the center or through the digital display, you can't make that exhaust open up in 6th gear.

My #1 head-shaker on this car is Sport Mode, winding out in 5th and loving the song, then dropping down into 6th and thinking someone stuffed a potato in my exhaust.

Why Ford? Why? :facepalm:
Sponsored