Sponsored

Backfire on cold start?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Something odd happened yesterday and I'm not sure if it is normal or if I should be concerned. When I cold started the car I heard a loud bang from the exhaust a second or so after starting; it sounded like a backfire to me. Everything operated smoothly thereafter. Anyone ever experience this? Thanks!
Sponsored

68Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang coupe, 2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Interesting. I've never had that happen.
Following!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A backfire is usually caused by unburnt fuel in the exhaust system, which can be caused by a few things:

Bent valves or valves not sealing properly
Ignition/timing sequence off
Lean Fuel/Air mixture
Rich Fuel/Air mixture

Have you checked the timing system per the TSB (and why isn't that thread a sticky in both this and the GT500 forum)?

Here's the GT350 Timing Chain TSB thread if you have not seen it:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-for-secondary-cam-chain-tensioner.158799/

Here's a similar thread in the GT500 sub-forum:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hain-tensioner-service-guide-attached.158780/

J. Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / Track Pack
Possible leaking injector adding fuel to a cylinder causing the backfire. Wouldn't necessarily notice it on a warm start since the car had been running and fuel hadn't had time to pool in the cylinder...and otherwise would drive relatively fine. Just a guess on my end, though...

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hasn't happened since. Strange. I do recall that I pumped the clutch a few times after I turned it off the time before it backfired. Perhaps that contributed to it. Doesn't pushing the clutch in prime the fuel pump?

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hasn't happened since. Strange. I do recall that I pumped the clutch a few times after I turned it off the time before it backfired. Perhaps that contributed to it. Doesn't pushing the clutch in prime the fuel pump?
you may appreciate this video
Sponsored