Cold Start muted?

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
You can control exhaust, dampers, and steering feel independent of the drive mode.

But no matter what you do, either the toggle switch in the center or through the digital display, you can't make that exhaust open up in 6th gear.

My #1 head-shaker on this car is Sport Mode, winding out in 5th and loving the song, then dropping down into 6th and thinking someone stuffed a potato in my exhaust.

Why Ford? Why? :facepalm:
Ooohhhhh, I did not know that was the case in 6th gear!!!
Why the hell would they do that ?!?! There must be some sort of performance reason for that.

I’m gonna have to drive it some on the highway before I drop the coin on that AWE kit.

I might just keep the car in 5th the entire time on the highway to keep the valves open. Gotta see how high the RPMs get at 60-70 mph
Sponsored

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Why the hell would they do that ?!?! There must be some sort of performance reason for that.
I think it's a nanny reason. If you're in 6th, you must be cruising the highways, and aren't interested in the exhaust note. Hey, FP, why not let me decide whether to kick in the baffles or not?
I might just keep the car in 5th the entire time on the highway to keep the valves open. Gotta see how high the RPMs get at 60-70 mph
LOL! I've seen lots of people say they do exactly this! They also get 16mpg, which is their business, but I daily mine and enjoy averaging 24mpg instead. :sunglasses:

ScottieDoo05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

I’m gonna have to drive it some on the highway before I drop the coin on that AWE kit.

I agree, I wish we could control the valves when in 6th gear. I did figure out that once you hit the magic number of 90 mph, the valves open up again when in 6th gear. I haven't tracked my car, and probably won't, but does anyone know if the valves stay open if you're in Track Mode when in 6th?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

Honestly I'm not putting it into 6th unless i'm above 75mph. Car is incredibly lazy in 6th as it is, but the noise she makes at 70mph cruising in 5th is great. With the a/c off you'll get a little pop and crackle each time you lift off of the throttle too which is always fun.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I just realized one thing.

Don’t we have direct control of the exhaust valves by using the toggle switch in the center stack regardless of drive modes?

That defeats the purpose of this AWE kit doesn’t it?
It’s not just 6th gear quite, but also if you run tracks with noise limits you can’t keep the valves shut even in normal exhaust mode (they open at aggressive throttle position). The other big benefit is startup: you can keep them closed for quiet start waiting a min after hitting clutch, but the awe kit lets you cold start with them wide open without them toggling back to closed (sounds much cooler ).

Edit: and I also find it VERY annoying when the car resets to normal mode and normal exhaust each time I turn it off, and I have to hit buttons every single time I start the car. Wish cars stayed in the modes they were in when shut off, my older Ferrari does this but most modern cars don’t. Annoying as most us want loud exhaust 95% of the time and have to toggle a lot of buttons to keep it.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Edit: and I also find it VERY annoying when the car resets to normal mode and normal exhaust each time I turn it off, and I have to hit buttons every single time I start the car. Wish cars stayed in the modes they were in when shut off, my older Ferrari does this but most modern cars don’t. Annoying as most us want loud exhaust 95% of the time and have to toggle a lot of buttons to keep it.
The evolution of that system is pretty obvious in the '18+ GT cars vs the GT350. The 350 was their first go at it. Is what it is.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Came from Jamal Hameedi's mouth. Don't know what to tell you home boy......
I’ll post back when I get the awe installed. It sorta makes sense with very low rev 6th and low throttle, but I don’t see how it would be as bad as many aftermarket exhausts, particularly on turbo cars.

6th gear is frankly too tall. I get the whole mpg cruise on the highway thing, but it’s gone too far and the car is dead to do any speed increase in 6th at 70mph.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’ll post back when I get the awe installed. It sorta makes sense with very low rev 6th and low throttle, but I don’t see how it would be as bad as many aftermarket exhausts, particularly on turbo cars.
Considering it's an OEM product, and if I were making said product, any drone would be considering absolutely unacceptable while cruising. While this is an enthusiast product, it's also an every man's product still that is being offered by an OEM. Obviously their philosophy has changed but again, first time around. Trust me, there's much worse things to be scrutinizing vs this.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I have tried EVERY method listed in this thread trying to get a quite "cold" start in the morning... no luck!
My valves don't close to quiet for about 20 - 30 seconds on a cold start in the morning.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have tried EVERY method listed in this thread trying to get a quite "cold" start in the morning... no luck!
My valves don't close to quiet for about 20 - 30 seconds on a cold start in the morning.
I think your valves are closed, it’s just the gas rich cold start that is extra loud for that long before temps get up a bit. If you want to check, do the sport exhaust toggle immediately after you start and you’ll really get loud ()
Sponsored