Cold Start muted?

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I have tried EVERY method listed in this thread trying to get a quite "cold" start in the morning... no luck!
My valves don't close to quiet for about 20 - 30 seconds on a cold start in the morning.
Really? Maybe they're sticking?

Try this. This is how I "try" to get a loud start but it's like drinking light beer.

When you get in your car, press the Start/Stop to go into Accessory mode.

You will have to press "OK" on the steering wheel twice because they want to be sure you know what you did.

Use the mode switch on the steering wheel and set it to "Normal" - I set mine to "Sport"

Depress clutch - let it prime and make all the cool noises - then hit Start.

That usually gets me loud in about two seconds - hopefully it will get you quiet instead.
Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I don’t care how bad my mpg gets. I’ll keep that thing in 5th gear all day long on the highway !!

One of the reasons I hunted this car down for a year and a half was because of the exhaust note. I’ll be damn if I’m gonna have the car sound like a focus while I’m cruising down the NJ Turnpike lolol.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I’ll post back when I get the awe installed. It sorta makes sense with very low rev 6th and low throttle, but I don’t see how it would be as bad as many aftermarket exhausts, particularly on turbo cars.

6th gear is frankly too tall. I get the whole mpg cruise on the highway thing, but it’s gone too far and the car is dead to do any speed increase in 6th at 70mph.
Be sure to let us know how that AWE setup works out for you.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I have tried EVERY method listed in this thread trying to get a quite "cold" start in the morning... no luck!
My valves don't close to quiet for about 20 - 30 seconds on a cold start in the morning.
The initial bark on startup even with the valves closed will always be there no matter what you do. Prior to startup they open part way and then close once the engine is running for a few seconds. Same goes for putting the exhaust in sport prior to starting; it holds in the partially open position and then opens fully. I haven't a clue why Ford does it that way. It's 20 times worse with an ATAK, so I leave the garage door shut until after the initial bark so I don't piss off my neighbors.

Edit: and I also find it VERY annoying when the car resets to normal mode and normal exhaust each time I turn it off, and I have to hit buttons every single time I start the car. Wish cars stayed in the modes they were in when shut off, my older Ferrari does this but most modern cars don’t. Annoying as most us want loud exhaust 95% of the time and have to toggle a lot of buttons to keep it.
I agree this is annoying. Dare I say it; the C7 saves drive, suspension and and exhaust mode when you turn it off unless it was in track or weather mode. This has been the norm since the C7 came out in 2014, and I wish Ford had done the same on our cars.

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Be sure to let us know how that AWE setup works out for you.
Will do, ordered it today from cjpony (same price, nobody has coupons, but free shipping).

gordondpm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I was experiencing a similar situation with my 2016 gt350. The cold start was muted, I wasn't getting the usual bark I was used to. I tried some of the suggestions on the post but nothing worked. I brought the car in for an oil change to Ford dealership and mentioned the issue. When I picked up the car a few days later, I started the engine and heard the familiar bark. I asked the mechanic what they did and he responded that he had reset the ECU. So if nothing else is working maybe give that a try.

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Man this is so weird that this popped up today, because the cold start bark seems muted on mine also. My car was sitting in a workshop for about 10 months and when I got it back it hasn't seemed to do the cold bark on the initial start. Valves are functioning correctly, and do the normal cold start cycle. It's just that initial bark has gone, sort of like the ecu isn't dumping the same amount of fuel or what not. Might try and reset the ecu.

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
True cold starts are loud - valves or not. If the engine is warm at all, the starts are much quieter.

6th is a granny gear - OD only. These are legit 5 speeds with an OD. They are not 6 speeds.

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
True cold starts are loud - valves or not. If the engine is warm at all, the starts are much quieter.
I've owned my car for quite a while now, and I know what the starts sound like, cold and warm.

The initial cold start bark is gone. It is still loud when cold, but that initial bark that scared the crap out of my kids is no longer. I thought it was just me, but it seems I'm not alone. I wonder if the car sitting for 10 months with a flat battery had anything to do with it. Will look into it.

Reactions: dps

Sponsored

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
The best thing about the AWE is that there's no more wandering and petering around in between open and closed. It was clear that even in "sport" exhaust mode, the valves were not 100% open at all times, it would strangely get quieter at odd times. That irritated me beyond belief and was the main reason I got the AWE. I just wish I could hard wire it to a toggle switch (even more awesome would be to be able to use the factory exhaust switch).

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
I've owned my car for quite a while now, and I know what the starts sound like, cold and warm.

The initial cold start bark is gone. It is still loud when cold, but that initial bark that scared the crap out of my kids is no longer. I thought it was just me, but it seems I'm not alone. I wonder if the car sitting for 10 months with a flat battery had anything to do with it. Will look into it.
Interesting - mine is still "relatively new" so it's something I'll pay attention to.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
I bought the plastic plugs that disable the active exhaust.

disconnect the active exhaust harness, plug in the plastic plugs and boom !! Valves are open all the time !
mine has been hibernating since November. I should be bringing it out next week or so. Cant wait !!!

americanaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Viper GTS
Thus the car always starts up in normal mode and the car does a diagnostic check to make sure the valves are in their proper proper position on startup. So if you shut the car down with the valves open and then go back to the car, quickly press the clutch in and smash that Start button in quick succession, the valves will still be open for a brief moment as the car is going through its check cycle which will give you a quick OBNOXIOUS bark on startup. If you're a pinch slower and the valves are partially closed during your start up, the car will close the valves, open them fully, and then fully close them to complete their check. If the valves are fully closed, the car will start up "quietly" and the valves won't open. A depression of the clutch even when not in Accessory mode will prime the fuel system (that's the buzzing noise you hear) and do a diagnostic on the drive modes. If you're in your garage or a quiet area and you listen carefully, you can listen to the valves open and close. They almost sound like a spoon rubbing against a coffee can. If you want to ensure a quiet start, press the clutch in and wait for all the goofy sounds to stop. Fire it up and you'll have happy neighbors/girlfriend/wife/whatever.
Very good input, thanks a lot. I know it's older, but as a new owner I am thankful to read how to start quietly when at home in order not to enrage the neighbors :-)

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
The best thing about the AWE is that there's no more wandering and petering around in between open and closed. It was clear that even in "sport" exhaust mode, the valves were not 100% open at all times, it would strangely get quieter at odd times. That irritated me beyond belief and was the main reason I got the AWE. I just wish I could hard wire it to a toggle switch (even more awesome would be to be able to use the factory exhaust switch).
Hello drummerboy, might you have a part # for your AWE Switchpath remote unit that you can share ? Thanks
Sponsored