Sponsored

Check your splitter install

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
I had time to get under there today and took a few pics. None of the 4 screws that go in at the 45 degree angle are there nor are that any tool marks from them ever being installed. I did the rubber mallet and shop towel trick and knocked it into submission. Headed to dealership now to seek a proper install.
I know you'll be taking it to your local dealer to get it fixed, but I'd be sure and send those pictures to your dealer where you purchased the car since they insisted it was install correctly. Maybe it will help the next person they sell one too. :cheers:
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I know you'll be taking it to your local dealer to get it fixed, but I'd be sure and send those pictures to your dealer where you purchased the car since they insisted it was install correctly. Maybe it will help the next person they sell one too. :cheers:
I did exactly that for that reason. I told them for the next one you sell make sure it is done properly.
Had I known it was an issue I would have never left the lot without a very close look and pull down on the splitter but on the initial walk around it looked fine. The screws or lack thereof would have told the tale.

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
For future owners, it's easy to just stick an index finger up in the holes to feel for the screw-head.

Edit: Upon further review, not so easy. I was able to do it just now, but I had to get my whole hand well under the splitter and extend my index finger as far as I could possibly reach to feel it. If you have short fingers it might be more challenging.

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
I did exactly that for that reason. I told them for the next one you sell make sure it is done properly.
Had I known it was an issue I would have never left the lot without a very close look and pull down on the splitter but on the initial walk around it looked fine. The screws or lack thereof would have told the tale.
I bought my car from a dealer in Michigan and when I asked them about the splitter they said they don't install them in case a buyer from out of state wants to have it shipped, but of course if a local bought it they would install it. Which I was glad of that since I'm in Tennessee and had it shipped down here to me. I did the install myself and I admit, getting it to seat all the way and get those 45 degree angled screws in was more of a chore than I thought it would be. I used the rubber mallet trick on one side and got one screw in then went to the other side and gave it a few whacks and even had to keep pressure on it to get the screw in properly. But I had the satisfaction of knowing it was done properly by doing it myself as well :thumbsup:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For future owners, it's easy to just stick an index finger up in the holes to feel for the screw-head.

Edit: Upon further review, not so easy. I was able to do it just now, but I had to get my whole hand well under the splitter and extend my index finger as far as I could possibly reach to feel it. If you have short fingers it might be more challenging.
I was able to use my finger but then I wanted proof so out came the cell phone. Easier to take the pic than use my finger. LOL. You have to angle the phone at 45 degrees to get the pic though. Wonder y??????:headbonk:

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great color choice.

I bought my car from a dealer in Michigan and when I asked them about the splitter they said they don't install them in case a buyer from out of state wants to have it shipped, but of course if a local bought it they would install it. Which I was glad of that since I'm in Tennessee and had it shipped down here to me. I did the install myself and I admit, getting it to seat all the way and get those 45 degree angled screws in was more of a chore than I thought it would be. I used the rubber mallet trick on one side and got one screw in then went to the other side and gave it a few whacks and even had to keep pressure on it to get the screw in properly. But I had the satisfaction of knowing it was done properly by doing it myself as well :thumbsup:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unreal. They used pop rivets instead of the correct fasteners on the front splitter. Now my local dealership is having to work it out with who sold it to removed all of the rivets and splitter then access what damage was done using the rivets. At a minimum new splitter. Who knows, hopefully the attachment points are not messed up. If so, new bumper????

The selling dealership that assured me it was installed properly, is now bending over backwards to fix the problem. At least it appears that way.
IMG_5941.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Unreal. They used pop rivets instead of the correct fasteners on the front splitter. Now my local dealership is having to work it out with who sold it to removed all of the rivets and splitter then access what damage was done using the rivets. At a minimum new splitter. Who knows, hopefully the attachment points are not messed up. If so, new bumper????

The selling dealership that assured me it was installed properly, is now bending over backwards to fix the problem. At least it appears that way.
When I had Ford look at my wrongly installed splitter, they mentioned the same thing -- it was riveted on and that I'd need to go to a body shop. However, one of the technicians looked at it and just took the whole bottom splitter off while he was doing an oil change and adjusted it. Haven't had a problem since then. I'm guessing they don't need to access the rivets to fix it?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Unreal. They used pop rivets instead of the correct fasteners on the front splitter. Now my local dealership is having to work it out with who sold it to removed all of the rivets and splitter then access what damage was done using the rivets.

Those rivets are correct. They are used to fasten the inner shell to the splitter. This is done when they are manufactured, not at the dealer.

Inner shell...

From the underside...

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

I don't see the problem these are oem correctly installed rivets. You just scraped them.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see the problem these are oem correctly installed rivets. You just scraped them.
Interesting. The shop foreman who has installed 4 of them said it was incorrect. I guess he was mistaken. Time will tell I suppose. He brought me back to the service area and had the car on the lift to show me.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Interesting. The shop foreman who has installed 4 of them said it was incorrect.
Doesn't sound like he was ever actually involved in an installation. If he was he would have noticed that they come this way right out of the box.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't sound like he was ever actually involved in an installation. If he was he would have noticed that they come this way right out of the box.
Kinda what I was thinking. Smh

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Still, seeing as how they failed to install the correct fasteners, you should insist on a new one. Do what Tomster did...have them order you a new one and leave the damaged one on the car, new one in the box, and keep it for a rainy day when the original needs to be replaced.
Sponsored