Sponsored

CFTP Wing

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I've hinted that is about the only way in a few posts now.

Don1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT 500 and 2003 GT Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Exact factory vs exact replica really doesn't matter, especially when it wasnt optioned on the car to begin with.

The aftermarket dog bones are the same as OEM. So no difference there.

As for the OEM mounts, yes there is a difference. FWIW, the OEM mounts are essentially flawed in design anyway. The rubber oring leaks water and will corrode the drilled holes over time. I think that it is such a simple part that they could be replicated without too much difficulty. They are not exposed carbon fiber, but instead forged CF and painted black. I should look into making a set, it wouldn't be that hard.

I may also end up reaching out to the MFG and asking if I could obtain a set that is flawed. Thats the beauty of forged and painted CF.... repairs are easy.

I would seriously wait to see what MPR comes up with.
I repaired the holes, and with reinstallation seated the bracket properly by torquing it on to fit the contour of the trunk lid. Problem solved. Give it a try.

Don1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT 500 and 2003 GT Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Dam, you went to a lot of work. Should be better than new, I hope. Even given a new car, it's still a project. LOL

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I just thought of something I wanted to put out there, could we also get a rubber grommet and then torque it? This way it would/should water seal the holes. I was thinking of doing this for the holes once I remove my base wing and put my CFTP wing in place.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I repaired the holes, and with reinstallation seated the bracket properly by torquing it on to fit the contour of the trunk lid. Problem solved. Give it a try.
The problem is that the rubber O ring on the mounts dont cut it. You need some kind of gasket material like I did or maybe Tob's solution

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Modernspare will make it right. I agreed to use two cars as prototypes for them. We had to go through two fittings on each car over a 2-3 week period. Both cars needed alternate spacers after the first test fitting. Each car is using the same 18” spare wheel. One car has 21” wheels, the other has 20” with large calipers. It took an 1 1/2” spacer on the 20” wheel but it works. Two kits for under $800 was not bad.
A glob of silicon around the bolt holes will do just as well without needing to trim up a rubber gasket.
The problem is that the rubber O ring on the mounts dont cut it. You need some kind of gasket material like I did or maybe Tob's solution
You can get commercial grade 1/16" thick 60A EPDM sheet rubber in 36" x 60" for $28.40 (or get thicker at a higher cost) and cut gaskets for yourself as well as others.

https://www.rubbercal.com/sheet-rubber/epdm-rubber/epdm-commercial-grade-60a.html
You guys do understand I am talking about this kind around the screw holes:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Prote...6mm+rubber+grommet&qid=1624922152&s=hi&sr=1-9

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on the shore number, I'd lean towards using a perimeter gasket or O-ring that is the same thickness as any individual grommet used on the individual bolt holes. Or just use a perimeter gasket and gasket sealant at the holes. Or cut a large, triangular gasket from sheet and be done with it.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
This is an easy fix. Gasket material not needed.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This thread is lolz. In the same breath, you have OEM snobbery followed by lengthy discussion about how to fix/modify OEM failures.

Kudos to those out there putting in the work making their car and its components better, finding a more economical way to achieve performance. This forum is best when people are improving and going around economically prohibitive parts costs or availability and then share that knowledge and experience with all. It has both figurative and literal value. You save money, setbacks and time for us all.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I thought I would just put this here, My tamper proof bolts and tamper proof security washers came in. Once the wing is back I'll be using this, then we'll see if it goes missing :D

The left screw is the dogbone bolt and the other is the socket screw replacement for the wing hinge and adjustment screw, washer & nut.

2021-06-30 19.32.09.jpg

2021-06-30 19.32.40.jpg