Ceramic Coating the HP wheels?

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I am taking in my car to ceramic coat the hood decal, ceramic coat the wheels and get a window tint.

They are quoting me $500 for the tint and $400 for the Ceramic coat on wheels and stripe.

My question is, is it worth it to ceramic coat the HP wheels? Doesn't seem too bad to clean. The rest of my car is already ceramic coated (except the stripe).
Sponsored

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
I am taking in my car to ceramic coat the hood decal, ceramic coat the wheels and get a window tint.

They are quoting me $500 for the tint and $400 for the Ceramic coat on wheels and stripe.

My question is, is it worth it to ceramic coat the HP wheels? Doesn't seem too bad to clean. The rest of my car is already ceramic coated (except the stripe).
Yes, do the HP wheels. They’ll be so much easier to clean. I did a couple track days before I got mine coated & it was a pita to clean those busy wheels. Did a track day after coating and the brake dust literally hosed off

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Do the wheels yourself, if you want to save $350 of the $400 wheel cost.
Did my car and wheels myself as well. Wheels are much easier to coat…not as much prep required compared to the body. I just washed the wheels, wipe down with a prep solution, and coated (Adams Advanced Graphen). Brake dust comes off with a hose.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
+1 for doing it yourself if you can. I used GTechniq C5 coating on my wheels. Super easy, just make sure wheels are clean and do a quick spray & wipe with panel prep. If you do it yourself, make sure to get a coating that’s specific to wheels. They’re made to hold up to the heat generated better than a coating designed for the car (you can use a car coating, it will just break down faster). Most DIY wheel coatings start to break down after 12-24 months so keep that in mind as well (Ive seen a few pro grade coatings rated for 36 months). Whether you do it yourself or have someone do it, it’s worth it, especially with the HP wheel design. Much easier to clean a coated wheel.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
+1 for doing it yourself if you can. I used GTechniq C5 coating on my wheels. Super easy, just make sure wheels are clean and do a quick spray & wipe with panel prep
One more vote for gtechniq C5. My car has been coated with their Serum Ultra product and I've been very happy with results, so I decided to stick to same brand for wheels, but do it myself. Took maybe couple hours with all the prep, and it made huge difference. I'v been using the wheels on track, but didn't notice any drop in cating performance after one season.

Highly recommend to do it yourself, after you clean the wheels with iron remover and panel wipe, you just apply the coating with a pad and then wipe it off after 30 seconds or so. Some buffing for front surface and you're done. Ise fresh set of pads and cloths for every wheel. Don't skip inner surfaces and drums. Makes it much easier to clean the insides in the future as well.

OP
OP
JetGray_Mach1

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Awesome thanks for the info, I rather coat it myself then.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
$400 is waste of money when you can do it in few hours yourself. Washing with IronX/IronOut and after they get dry, treating them with Auto Finesse Caramics Wheel Protection Kit works great for me.

I've been waxing my wheels with Poorboys before for a decade, ceramics in spray is bit easier to work with, not sure about endurance yet, it's not so much about easy cleaning of the outside, but they stay completely clean and like new on the inside, otherwise brake dust gets baked there so bad it never can get fully off later.

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I used Poorboys Wheel Sealant for a number of years, loved how that stuff smelled. But a very time consuming process on PP1 wheels, and unless you removed them from the car, you wouldn't get coverage on the barrels.

IMG_E1271.jpg

IMG_E1272.jpg

IMG-E1269.jpg

I then moved to spray-and-rinse type ceramic sealants. Carpro Hydr02 and Gyeon Wet Coat, both allowing the whole wheel to be coated without touching the wheel itself, simply wash the wheel, rinse thorough, spray the wheel with the product and hose off immediately. Done. Longevity will be low, the quick and easy reapplication means that is not really a problem. I still use this method for all but my Mustang's wheels.

IMG-4310.jpg

When I bought new wheels for the Mustang, I ceramic coated them before they were installed on the car, saving me the task of decontaminating them. I used NV Wheel, but Carpro DLUX is another good option.

IMG-9649.jpg

IMG-9644.jpg

IMG-9692.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

The ceramic coating process is a bit more involved, especially if your wheels already have some miles on them, preparation is crucial otherwise you may find longevity will be limited, at which point you may as well just used the spray-and-rinse sealants.

I wrote this thread on the application process -
Ceramic Coating Wheels | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Sponsored
OP
OP
JetGray_Mach1

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I used Poorboys Wheel Sealant for a number of years, loved how that stuff smelled. But a very time consuming process on PP1 wheels, and unless you removed them from the car, you wouldn't get coverage on the barrels.

IMG_E1271.jpg
IMG_E1272.jpg
IMG-E1269.jpg

I then moved to spray-and-rinse type ceramic sealants. Carpro Hydr02 and Gyeon Wet Coat, both allowing the whole wheel to be coated without touching the wheel itself, simply wash the wheel, rinse thorough, spray the wheel with the product and hose off immediately. Done. Longevity will be low, the quick and easy reapplication means that is not really a problem. I still use this method for all but my Mustang's wheels.

IMG-4310.jpg

When I bought new wheels for the Mustang, I ceramic coated them before they were installed on the car, saving me the task of decontaminating them. I used NV Wheel, but Carpro DLUX is another good option.

IMG-9649.jpg

IMG-9644.jpg

IMG-9692.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

The ceramic coating process is a bit more involved, especially if your wheels already have some miles on them, preparation is crucial otherwise you may find longevity will be limited, at which point you may as well just used the spray-and-rinse sealants.

I wrote this thread on the application process -
Ceramic Coating Wheels | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com
Excellent, Thanks!

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
Whether you pay for it or do it yourself I recommend it. I had ceramic done on calipers and wheels.

that plus PPF on car my washing experience is stupid easy. There's been some maintenance washes where I just

foam it up
Rinse
Dry

stuff just falls off 🤷🏻‍♂️

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Another +1 coated wheels.

First time I've had them done and I've yet to wash them, but I expect it to be much easier and have less oxidization from the brake dust.
Sponsored