Sponsored

Centri Boys, Need Your Wisdom!

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I would suggest a P1x stage 2, Fore return, 1050x injectors, opg/cs and ngk 6510s at .026-.028 with a good tune, e.g., Lund or PBD to name a couple.
Nice to have, kinetic crank stud. If you really want a extra measure of safety, get the PC crank support. If so, you will need either a ATI or innovators West damper. None of those are necessary however.
I like bulletproof, extra measures of safety are always welcome. I've heard a mixed bag of opinions on the OPG for Gen3's though. Isn't that one of the things that got upgraded over Gen2?
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Op, what is your budget?

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
I agree with Black Dog. Many are fine without opg/cs; however, it is recommended to replace them. Personally, I too like a little safety. Recently I added a crank support and kinetic stud. I put head studs in the same time I did the opg/cs to make it a bit stronger.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Alright so I recently made a post inquiring about turbos and I think I'm ruling them out as my FI option for my 21 Mustang GT PP 6MT. Ive narrowed it down to a PD blower or a Centri. Here's my take on them so far.

PD Pros
- Instant torque
- Can make some big HP numbers
- Easier to tune?

PD Cons
- Heat soak is a thing
- Added weight
- More complex install
- Harder to manage traction on street

Centri Pros
- Easier install
- Less weight
- Lower IATs
- Jet plane noises
- Possibly easier to get traction on street

Centri Cons
- Low end torque is bysmal
- Won't make as much power?
- Have to wind it out to make power

This is just what I've discovered from my research. I really like a lot about the Centri units, but I dont want to get one and regret it. Whichever route I go my goal is 700+whp with room to grow. I have e85 available all around me, even though its "51-83%" according to the pump. And ill be doing all supporting suspension, clutch, drivetrain, tires, long tubes, etc.

Some of my main questions on the Centris are which brand/kit to go with? Are they complete kits? If I go e85 what size injectors do I need? And what kind of hp potential can I expect with said kits?

Thanks in advance as you have all been extremely crucial and helpful in guiding me in the right direction so far!
I would recommend getting a dyno graph of a CF setup, and then compare to the same engine spec graph of a twin Precision Comp CEA ball bearing 62mm turbo graph. I might be wrong, but I think the high end turbos build comparable torque at lower RPM and kills it at the upper end HP wise. Let me know what you find out. Good luck

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
I was in a very similar position as yourself and narrowed it down to Loki, Paxton 2200SL or a Vortec V.3. Had a budget of 7k; which only went slightly over after tuning. Had the same plans as yourself: fun car I can throw around, possibly some drag pulls and reliability.

I ended up going with the Paxton kit due to ease of install and the power delivery is gradual; which is what I wanted. PD blowers are great but I didn't want to worry about hooking/blowing the tires or obliterating the clutch at WOT. Also, wanted to retain the strut bar. So the centri worked for what I was looking for. I made sure I had clearance for everything so I didn't experience a lot of the knock issues a centri typically exhibits. Probably more luck than anything but I'm seeing 19-20 degrees throughout pulls.

Make no mistake, the Paxton has no issue making 1-2 completely useless at WOT but I can roll onto the throttle and manage things just fine. 3rd dead hooks with the BMR CB005 (I imagine Steeda's kit would accomplish the same thing). I've taken quite a few people on rides and the shock value is there if that's what you're looking for. A lot of people complain about the low end; 3.55 are typically recommended, but the 3.73 makes the Centri style a ton of fun IMO. A run through 3rd and 4th lands me at 120, shifting at 7200-7400. I really have no desire to push it beyond that if its a fun street pull.

I'm on 93...Only thing available unfortunately so for your set-up (Exx), I imagine 1050x or equivalent injector will get the job done. A return style fuel system is also advised.

Regardless, adding 250-300+whp with either set-up will leave you satisfied.

Last edited:

Check06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang P1X GT
P1X stage 2, big red race valve, supporting fuel, etc, stainless power LTH. My car has the false knock sporadically but i wouldnt change it.

The power is great and very usable, i like it for use in turns as it is more controllable and less punchy. For drag or roll racing, just need to know how to "run it."

Centris are easy maintenance, just oil for it. Doesnt run hot and i do love the feedback it gives at idle, wot, etc.

Edit: also have the boundary OPG/CS for several thousand miles and no issues.

Its all personal preference

Last edited:

17Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2013 4Runner, 2015 BMW 328i
Iā€™ve had both Whipple and Procharger. For the average person who just wants a fun weekend warrior, either are more than enough to cause trouble for yourself and make your car faster than 99% of everyone out there. Too debate is useless unless you race all the time. .

Sponsored

DTeal23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT
Iā€™ve had both Whipple and Procharger. For the average person who just wants a fun weekend warrior, either are more than enough to cause trouble for yourself and make your car faster than 99% of everyone out there. Too debate is useless unless you race all the time. .
A lot of people race all the time, so tell us which one you prefer. šŸ˜Ž

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
What state are you in and how are they on smog?
This is why I went Procharger and not turbo. I'm in IL and they do test every 2 years. I needed to make sure the cats stay on. If your state tests, you need to consider this if keeping street legal.

Dark knight s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 pp1 GT
In my personal opinion, if youā€™re in an 18+ manual car Iā€™d opt for PD blower over centri. My previous car was an 18 stick car with a Paxton, owned it for 40k miles, boosted it around 3-4K miles. It was problem free but on 93 I didnā€™t really get that crazy power feeling that Iā€™d expect for a 680 wheel car. Now for 10 speed cars Iā€™d say a centri is much better suited especially when racing in Mexico. Now maybe my opinion would change if I had done a fuel system and e85, but found a good deal so ended up selling that car and getting another 5.0. Just my 2 cents on centri from experience.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I always believed that the type of supercharger should complement the engines natural power curve. In other words, a pushrod 2-valve v8 that struggles to make top-end should lean towards a centri. A high revā€™ing dohc 4-valve engine should have a turbo or PD blower to fill in the low-end where the engine is lacking.

One other point of note is that oemā€™s almost never install centri superchargers from the factory, but PD blowers and turbos are quite common. The only examples I can think of are powersports such as street bikes and PWCā€™s, but nothing automotive. Anyone care to guess why?

Centrifugal superchargers filled a void 10+ years ago when all the PD offerings were too small to make any serious hp and very inefficient. But a modern 2.65 or 3 liter PD is highly efficient and able to support plenty of power so centrifs donā€™t hold that advantage anymore. At this point, I think the only advantage is ease of installation/lack of intrusiveness into the engine.

And, the ā€œheat soakā€ issue really isnā€™t an issue if you actually look at quantitative data, the exception being the gen3 roush kits after a few seconds at wot.
Sponsored