Centri Boys, Need Your Wisdom!

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Alright so I recently made a post inquiring about turbos and I think I'm ruling them out as my FI option for my 21 Mustang GT PP 6MT. Ive narrowed it down to a PD blower or a Centri. Here's my take on them so far.

PD Pros
- Instant torque
- Can make some big HP numbers
- Easier to tune?

PD Cons
- Heat soak is a thing
- Added weight
- More complex install
- Harder to manage traction on street

Centri Pros
- Easier install
- Less weight
- Lower IATs
- Jet plane noises
- Possibly easier to get traction on street

Centri Cons
- Low end torque is bysmal
- Won't make as much power?
- Have to wind it out to make power

This is just what I've discovered from my research. I really like a lot about the Centri units, but I dont want to get one and regret it. Whichever route I go my goal is 700+whp with room to grow. I have e85 available all around me, even though its "51-83%" according to the pump. And ill be doing all supporting suspension, clutch, drivetrain, tires, long tubes, etc.

Some of my main questions on the Centris are which brand/kit to go with? Are they complete kits? If I go e85 what size injectors do I need? And what kind of hp potential can I expect with said kits?

Thanks in advance as you have all been extremely crucial and helpful in guiding me in the right direction so far!
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
We might be able to better guide you down the path knowing what your desired plans/application are. Are you racing? What are you racing?

For instance, Drag racing and Road Racing are two completely different types of car setups. Anybody who tells you they have a car that can do both in all actuality likely can't do one or either very well.

ED - PD Blower install is easier than a Centri install. Way easier. If you can unbolt your intake manifold, you can bolt a PD blower on, and from there it might be plugging in new injectors and flashing a tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Sorry, im not building this car for track use. It will be for the occasional drag strip runs and fun street nights in Mexico.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
What is the reason for turbos to be off the table? Cost?

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Most of your Cenrti cons are false.
1) True there may be less torque down low than a PD blower, But I can spin the drag radials at will in 1st, 2nd, and half of 3rd on E85 on the street (A10 trans). More low end torque would be useless.
2) My little P1X makes about 850RW with only a 4.25" pulley. Can go down to a 3.70 for about 950RW. More than I want.
3) with 3.55 gears and the A10 it makes power off idle, and past 4,000RPM the tach just zings.
My IAT's are rarely more than 10 degrees over ambient.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
I agree with LSchicago. I too, run a centri and have more than enough power throughout the rpm range. I have drag radials that will spin at will in 1st and 2nd and in 3rd if I don't allow them to warm up. My car is a street car and have not been to the strip. I am running a D1X with a 4" pulley.

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So the P1X procharger stage 2 kit along is enough for over 800 crank? And as for the turbos, a lot more complexity, more cost, and seem to be less reliable. Not knocking them but if I was going well over 1000hp sure I can see that, but when there's cheaper alternatives that can easily push between 700-1000 hp i dont see the value.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
So the P1X procharger stage 2 kit along is enough for over 800 crank? And as for the turbos, a lot more complexity, more cost, and seem to be less reliable. Not knocking them but if I was going well over 1000hp sure I can see that, but when there's cheaper alternatives that can easily push between 700-1000 hp i dont see the value.
Stage 2 P1X will provide 650-950RW, depending on boost, mods and fuel. D1X is better for over 900 to 1200RW. I am about 14# of boost on E85.

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
I'd never run a centri on my car.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
BTW, I forgot to answer your fuel question. To go E85 on boost you do need a return fuel system, not just injectors. I went with twin 525 (Hellcat) pumps, and 1000CC injectors. That's more pump than needed for my 850RW. A DW400 with boost a pump won't be enough to run safely.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Another thing to mention is are you planning to install it yourself? I've done a small amount of research out of curiosity and have seen some people saying that a centri would be an easier install. Also seen that some centris are cheaper but if you are already going to spend 7k+ might as well fork over a few hundred dollars to get what you want.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Another thing to mention is are you planning to install it yourself? I've done a small amount of research out of curiosity and have seen some people saying that a centri would be an easier install. Also seen that some centris are cheaper but if you are already going to spend 7k+ might as well fork over a few hundred dollars to get what you want.
One part that mattered to me was no cutting when installing a centri, vs a PD blower.

TRP45ACP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, PP1, MT82, 401A
As you can see everybody has an opinion. Turbos, Centris, PD blowers all work well on this platform. I have a manual with one blower size larger than a P1x and have not had any real issue with false knock. I am also running a relatively small pulley so I am well into the 900 rwhp range. My car runs very well with no knock, shortage of fuel or oil consumption in e85. Good parts with a good tune is the key. I frequently log my car to monitor it. In addition, I added a crank support, opg/cs and head studs for good measure.
I have no aversion to turbos or PD blowers either as they all work. Find something that fits your budget and intended goal/use and go for it. Personally I went procharger due to simplicity, cost and to compliment my 3.73 Pp1 gear ratio. I have no regrets as my car is a blast to drive and has proven reliable. I will say I donā€™t have a lot of miles on the car however.

Lads1719

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT: PP1: 300A: Lightning Blue
Well saidā€¦^^^

At any case, right now if I were in your shoes, Iā€™d go get the E85 tune, injectors and a used BAP ASAP. Only because itā€™s easy, youā€™ll need them anyway and itā€™s instant HP.
Sponsored