Car won't start

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Out of nowhere - tonight, I punch the button like always, and the starter just spins and spins. Nice and snappy, but spins for several seconds then stops again. It's always started after maybe a second of cranking, very predictable and reliable.

It's a 2018 GT PP1 MT82, never given me a lick of trouble before. Full gas tank, drove it 2 days ago without incident like always. Let it sit for an hour, went back out, same story - starter spins and spins, no life at all out of the engine. I don't have any alerts on my FordPass app, and nothing shows differently on the dash. What might be things I start to look at?

[Edit: Sherman, set the wayback machine for 3 weeks ago... it was mice gnawing on the wiring harness, near the firewall.]
Sponsored

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Clutch switch. Starter Relay. Bump the starter while attempting to turn over the engine (hammer or heavy stick), you’ll probably need a hand.

OP
OP
David Schmidt

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I do need to hold in the clutch to have it crank at all - is there another way that switch would fail that still allowed the starter motor to crank?

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Clutch switch. Starter Relay. Bump the starter while attempting to turn over the engine (hammer or heavy stick), you’ll probably need a hand.
Like the old Chevys fron the 60s to get that warm solenoid to engage. Lol

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I do need to hold in the clutch to have it crank at all - is there another way that switch would fail that still allowed the starter motor to crank?
Ok, I’d rule that out. Any chance you can get a voltage on the battery with the car off?

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Easy way to see if your fuel pump is working is to look at the underhood fuse box. Pull that fuse see if it has failed. I've had issues in the past on hot days where that fuse would blow.

Starter would engage but car would not start. Often cause by a overheated fuel pump or IATs running high causing the car to want more fuel

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
My 2016 EcoBoost did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. The in tank fuel pump died and quit working. As I recall, the car had about 40,000 miles on it..........

Sponsored
OP
OP
David Schmidt

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Awesome suggestions, all. I went out and pulled fuse 49 for the fuel pump (plus 14 as a similar reference) and both test closed/good. But what else did I find in the fuse box? Sunflower seed hulls and mouse poop. I have critters on the loose.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Awesome suggestions, all. I went out and pulled fuse 49 for the fuel pump (plus 14 as a similar reference) and both test closed/good. But what else did I find in the fuse box? Sunflower seed hulls and mouse poop. I have critters on the loose.
Check for wires or wire harnesses that have been chewed… in engine bay and under vehicle.

A non-start can be a few things - first that comes to mind is a complete crank sensor failure OR if the wire harness is chewed/damaged will prevent the car from starting.

—-

Check this thread for non-start issue and resolutions:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/sos-car-won’t-start-solved.174650/page-2#post-3537158

There is also this thread where a GT350 owner had a no power non-start issue and could not get the car to start, it ended up being a 125A fuse:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/car-is-dead-need-help.137125/

OP
OP
David Schmidt

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, will be looking over all the wiring and connectors. I'm not seeing any evidence of chewing yet, but it must be there somewhere.

My appointment at the dealership isn't for another 2 weeks, so I have plenty of time to goof around. Would an OBDII scanner be of use here?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Awesome, will be looking over all the wiring and connectors. I'm not seeing any evidence of chewing yet, but it must be there somewhere.

My appointment at the dealership isn't for another 2 weeks, so I have plenty of time to goof around. Would an OBDII scanner be of use here?
You can try a scanner and see if there are any stored codes.

You can also try to pull codes using Engineering Mode...

If you have a 2015-2020 with the ANALOG gauge cluster, you should be able to enter the “Engineer Test Mode”.

Follow this link:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engineering-test-mode.27581/

If you you have a 2018+ with the DIGITAL cluster, you should be able to access the same test mode found here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-18-digital-dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231/

OP
OP
David Schmidt

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
If you you have a 2018+ with the DIGITAL cluster, you should be able to access the same test mode found here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-18-digital-dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231
I do! That link isn't working for me, though - looks like the abbreviation made it all the way into the link, making it invalid. Ah, here it is:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231/#post-2425775

Looks like it won't work for me since I have to "start the car," which is problematic right now. :cool:
Sponsored