Sponsored

Car is dead - Need help

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My car left me stranded today where it would not start after leaving it parked on the side of the road with hazards on for about 30 min, I came to find out it would not start.

I hit start button, nothing no click. I get a neighbor to jump start, it starts and battery reads 13.7V then 14.4.

now all good right? Here comes the problem, it throws many errors during start when jump starting such as :

- No fuel pressure
- Not enough fuel
- No hill assist
- No stabilitrak
- No ABS
- No Powersteering

The fuel related ones disappear on their own but power steering/ABS/stabilitrak doesnt. I drove home with no power steering (was very hard). After restarting the car, disconnecting battery, connecting battery tender, still no go. The power steering doesnt work.

I went to autozone and got a code reader (the good stuff for $240) and it shows U0131 ABS code. I clear the code, it comes back immediately.

what should I do?
Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Go to Dealer. Under warranty?

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If I could go to dealer, I wouldnt post here. The reason for not going isnt the car is modified or not under warranty, but this is my daily driver, this is Ford, and tomorrow is Friday. It will be middle of next week before they give me a loaner.

how will new battery help? The power steering error U0131 does not go away. Battery has enough power now it reads 14.4 volts

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
There's a procedure for resetting the CanBus. Disconnect the battery terminals then hold the Neg and Pos cables together for 10-15 seconds. This resets the system. Try it. You have nothing to lose.

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There's a procedure for resetting the CanBus. Disconnect the battery terminals then hold the Neg and Pos cables together for 10-15 seconds. This resets the system. Try it. You have nothing to lose.
Wont connecting positive and negative create a short circuit?

i dont know if you are being sarcastic or not

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
If I could go to dealer, I wouldnt post here. The reason for not going isnt the car is modified or not under warranty, but this is my daily driver, this is Ford, and tomorrow is Friday. It will be middle of next week before they give me a loaner.

how will new battery help? The power steering error U0131 does not go away. Battery has enough power now it reads 14.4 volts
You're battery isn't reading 14.4 volts, you're alternator is.

Measure the battery voltage with the vehicle off or with a multimeter.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
A battery at the end of its life will cause all kinds of issues. Even if you charge it and it seems ok, it is not. Bite the bullet and replace it. It’s cheap insurance. Also, check your negative connection. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve dealt with your exact scenario. The it’ll charge, yadada. If it’s got age on it, 3-4 years it’s going. Here, 3 years is tops. Low voltage will reak havoc on electronic systems and in some cases take them out. FICM’s on the older superduty diesels would constantly be taken out when the alternator went. Same with the crank trigger sensor.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
He is saying disconnect both positive and negative connections from the battery and connect them. If you grounded out the battery like that it would create your own private light show.

Wont connecting positive and negative create a short circuit?

i dont know if you are being sarcastic or not

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
- I have disconnected the negative terminal for 30 minutes. No go.

- After disconnecting the battery 30 minutes, before connecting the negative terminal, I measured with multi meter and it read 13.05 volts. I started the car, idled, turned it off, then turned on the long beams for a few seconds to use excess charge. Measured it again and it reads 12.58. But it started climbing 12.59, 12.60, 12.61, etc.

Car has 56,300 miles. It is 41 months old.

Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
A battery at the end of its life will cause all kinds of issues. Even if you charge it and it seems ok, it is not. Bite the bullet and replace it. It’s cheap insurance. Also, check your negative connection. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve dealt with your exact scenario. The it’ll charge, yadada. If it’s got age on it, 3-4 years it’s going. Here, 3 years is tops. Low voltage will reak havoc on electronic systems and in some cases take them out. FICM’s on the older superduty diesels would constantly be taken out when the alternator went. Same with the crank trigger sensor.
Not saying you're wrong. I own 2012 Audi S4 since I purchase it new in 2011. It's almost 9 years old and I never change the battery. Still going strong.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
It’s not to say there aren’t exceptions to the rule. I’m also not referring to aftermarket higher end batteries, just oem stuff. It’s about 3 years like clockwork for me here. It’s the same for vehicles and my heavy equipment. I think it has to do with our extreme temperature swings. They would definitely last longer if a tender was in play as well. Costco gets a fair amount of my money for batteries.

Not saying you're wrong. I own 2012 Audi S4 since I purchase it new in 2011. It's almost 9 years old and I never change the battery. Still going strong.

MTdiehard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2018 Mini Cooper S 4D Hardtop, And a midsize SUV
Battery life depends on many things, including local climate. While cold makes batteries weak, it is hot climates that age them prematurely. Can’t compare battery lives without taking that into account.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Going back to topic....

How do I know battery might be the cause? Can it be a wider issue?

the errors car gives me now when I start are:

- Service power steering
- No ABS
- No hill assist
- No stabilitrak

Obviously steering wheel is very heavy.

Disconnecting battery didnt do anything.

I am happy to pay for battery and try it out, I just dont understand how battery can be the culprit here.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
If it’s running and battery is charging the electric power steering should be fine but it’s obviously not. Have you checked for any blown fuses?
Sponsored