Sponsored

Buy 17 or wait for 18 thread

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
For those who haven't owned a MagRide vehicle I suggest you really give that some thought if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a period of time it is not a cheap maintenance item and if more than one unit goes I assure you your wallet will be looking mighty empty once they are done with you.
This guy is right. To my knowledge, as I started my career testing these dampers, they are still only made by one company. Delphi developed the tech with GM, however when Delphi went belly up, the dampers division was sold to a Chinese conglomerate, BWI. This was 2009-2010.

The main issue was and is leaking rod seals. The iron particles suspended as part the MR fluid are in the micron size range and act as an abrasive over time against the chrome plating of the shock rod. This allows some particles to become embedded in the chrome and pass through the rod wipers, and up to the seals. Just google search magnaride problems and you will see it is not an isolated issue. At $800 or so each, they are not cheap to replace.
Sponsored

Skully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
I have taken a couple Magride cars out for test drives. I couldn't really tell a difference on the street... a little bit, but it wasn't enough to make me look at the co-pilot and say "HOLY Shit, this is so cool!". The conversation really went "can you feel a difference?" :shrug:

Maybe on a track it would be different/really be useful at that point?

This is one option I wouldn't get on the new car... unless Ford did something really different on the GT with this magride setup...
You'll notice on a track. An easy example is, the harder and faster you turn to the left, the harder the suspension becomes on the right side. To keep it level and planted.

Magnetic Ride is computer controlled and regulates each shock on the fly based on what the car is doing.

Normal driving in traffic will be practically identical.

This guy is right. To my knowledge, as I started my career testing these dampers, they are still only made by one company. Delphi developed the tech with GM, however when Delphi went belly up, the dampers division was sold to a Chinese conglomerate, BWI. This was 2009-2010.

The main issue was and is leaking rod seals. The iron particles suspended as part the MR fluid are in the micron size range and act as an abrasive over time against the chrome plating of the shock rod. This allows some particles to become embedded in the chrome and pass through the rod wipers, and up to the seals. Just google search magnaride problems and you will see it is not an isolated issue. At $800 or so each, they are not cheap to replace.
^^^
this

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Its just like everything else with the car, if you want better performance it comes as a price, no different than when Brembo's started showing up as regular options on cars, excellent braking performance but it comes at a price, the new Michelin P4s' will also be more expensive to replace.

The best part of the magnaride for me is that it doesn't require fiddling around with it like you do with a coil over setup. Choosing between comfort or performance or leaving it in between and being not great at either then changing is a time consuming affair. Now at the push of a button i am enjoying a spirited drive or another push and i set my car to enjoy our wonderful detroit pot hole filled roads.

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Buy which ever model you can afford, and most importantly makes you happy. There will always be something better on the way, whether it be the 2018 or S650. Life's too short to drive yourself crazy on things that are immaterial in the long run.

Dr.Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm debating the same thing. I'm in no rush to get a car right now bc I still have a few months left on my lease, i'm looking. I'm very specific about what I want in terms of colors and options...no dealer within 300 miles of me has what I'd be looking for, so I'd have to special order one. My worry is, if I wait until the 2018 comes out and don't like it, it would be too late for me to order a 2017. Then I'm stuck just taking a 2017 off a lot that may not be exactly what I want, or having to order a 2018 that I might not like as much as the 2017.

I know order dates haven't been released yet, but does anybody know when the order banks opened and closed in the past?

Sponsored

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
Go for what you want! The Grabber Blue is what i wanted and why I kept the 2017 order.

On the 2018, I really like the interior digital gauges however I think the price is going to skyrocket

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Buying a '17 vs an '18? I would wait for the redesigned car since it has so many improvements. Same thing I did when I was anxious to buy a Mustang back in 2014. I'm already the owner of a '15 so maybe in 2025 I'll revisit the subject. My wife gets the next new car or she will not be happy!

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
It's why I'm never buying Magnetic Ride again (even though it obviously is very good) :) I've replaced 4 corners at my own expense on my previous car.

They almost always fail after warranty is over :) (and cost a shitton compared to regular shocks).
This couldn't be any more accurate. Long-time owner beware.

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
I know order dates haven't been released yet, but does anybody know when the order banks opened and closed in the past?
2017MY banks opened in April 2016

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
You'll notice on a track. An easy example is, the harder and faster you turn to the left, the harder the suspension becomes on the right side. To keep it level and planted.

Magnetic Ride is computer controlled and regulates each shock on the fly based on what the car is doing.

Normal driving in traffic will be practically identical.

^^^
this
Was hoping it would be softer/better riding in a straight line cruise, but really stiffen up in quick turn in or high speed steady state cornering.

17 looking better I guess if magneride isn't all that. Engine I know I can put FI on, proven auto trans @ 600+ HP (and not being a guinea pig for that 10 spd first year), no auto start/stop, and front end styling that all I can say is I don't absolutely hate it (after new pics).

Sponsored

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
I'm in same boat. Here's my situation: never owned a mustang and always wanted one, already ordered a 17MY the way I want it which should be here in March/April. I'm getting a loaded 6 speed 401a GT w/PP for a little over 41k. I have a 10 year HELOC burning a hole in my pocket for $50k so that gives me roughly 8k to blow on mods. I like the "newness" of the 18MY but I don't want magnaride bc I'll want to lower ($1750 including labor). Active exhaust sounds like a nice feature but it might be too tame for me; I was already considering a Corsa CBE extreme Exhaust ($1750 including labor). I'm planning on dropping close to $1k on clear bra system, another $1k on ceramic paint coat. Plan is to keep it for several years.

My point is--you'll get a better deal on a 17 than an 18...and won't have to wait another 9 months for the 18. I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with a 17, especially if you start modding it the way you want it. I'm also skeptical of the DI for the long run. Because I want to hang onto this car for years, I'm glad I'm getting the last year of the original s550.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
... and not being a guinea pig for that 10 spd first year ...
Thought I read someplace that the 10 speed auto is basically the same one in the Camaro (joint Ford/GM effort), so maybe it's been on the streets and proven in the Camaro.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Waiting until I get more information...

Engine specs and pricing before I can make a decision. Besides time is on my side. I have no Mustang since 2010 when I traded my 2005 Ford Mustang GT for a 2010 Ford Flex (story for another time). Getting back in the saddle again just have not decided which pony to mount. Leaning 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium, Performance Package, Digital Gauges, Active Exhaust, Auto. - Lighting Blue

:ford:
17_FRD_MST_200040.JPG
18MST_Gallery_07_1250.jpg

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Engine specs and pricing before I can make a decision. Besides time is on my side. I have no Mustang since 2010 when I traded my 2005 Ford Mustang GT for a 2010 Ford Flex (story for another time). Getting back in the saddle again just have not decided which pony to mount. Leaning 2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium, Performance Package, Digital Gauges, Active Exhaust, Auto. - Lighting Blue

:ford:
That's guna be over 40k for a mustang.... lol
Sponsored