• Total voters

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I love my current car but have been wanting more, Currently have a 2016 GT with full exhaust, tune, and wheel/tire setup. I am in the position to either modify it extensively or sell and buy a higher level.

the pros for keeping the car and modifying it are
cheaper overall, can
make it exactly how i want it.

the cons for keeping are
will never get the money out i of mods i put in if i sell down the line.

the pros for buying a new car
all work already done.
will hold better value than modified one

cons for buying new car
more expensive than modifying
will not be custom but just like all others in that trim level.

I have been tossing this idea around for a while now and would really like to finally pull the trigger. I am just ridiculously indecisive. i have went all the way from thinking about a RS3 to an M5 to waiting for the new Fpace SVR to drop on the used market. I stuck the poll to only the mustangs im considering because the list of all the cars would just be too long. if anyone has any that perhaps i have not mentioned please let me know!
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’d keep your current ride and mod the shit out of it.

You’ll eventually get bored with a stock RS3 or GT350 as well and be in the same boat.

Much more financially sensible to mod what you currently have.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I’d keep your current ride and mod the shit out of it.

You’ll eventually get bored with a stock RS3 or GT350 as well and be in the same boat.

Much more financially sensible to mod what you currently have.
This hits the nail on the head!
I have taken great delight over the last 30 years in buying the base performance models and modifying them to put out perform, out run, etc the top of the line cars. It’s far less expensive and so much more satisfying.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
If you've got the money just do it.
I just googled RS3 = $78k and GT350 = $65k

Is your 16 GT paid for ?
You can stick a Super Charger in that for under $10k and it will be faster than the GT350 and waY cheaper than a RS3.

Your gonna lose money either way :rockon:

It it was me ( and its not ) I'd pay off that loan 1st. I'm still trying to pay my 16 GT off. I've got $2500 to go. My 16 GT is fast enough and I've got the speeding tickets to prove that. . One thing I've learned over the years is ... you can never have enough HP. IMO you just have to get to the point where you're satisfied. I'm good. Speed limit was 55 mph on my way to work this morning. I don't ever plan on tracking the car so I'm good.

But if you've got the money then buy bigger faster and more HP :sunglasses:

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i vote modding as it connects you personally to the car. youre gonna lose money either way but at least you suit it to your liking and preferences. the only other way to go imo would be a 350 just for the limited production numbers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Louk

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Yes the GT is paid off and I was more looking at used market for both so the prices weren’t as high. Valid points on losing money either way hahaha. this was kinda the way I was thinking. my issue is taking that leap throwing a whipped on it. I’ve already talked with Watson racing about it and they are crazy reasonable with labor.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I always ask. How are ya going to use the car? And do you plan to keep it long term? Im a drag racer. So its cheaper to mod a gt. im going to beat the shit out of. And I get attached to things. And like to hold onto them. I never lose money. (Other than depreciation) because the mods I do today. will be on a car I plan to keep. If you dont plan on keeping it. Don't mod it. Or at least come to the realization. That its just money out the window. And thats ok to. But you can't worry about.

OP
OP
Louk

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
99% daily driver, maybe go to the track once or twice a year then a road course/ autocross once or twice a year. i always say i "plan" to keep my cars then something shiny and new pops up.....

Yes i do love the car but i also loved my 13 GT before this lol.

seems like most people are swinging to the mod bug, i need to just pull the trigger one way or the other and roll with it!

Old Ickabod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A new car, or a more expensive used car, will likely face more depreciation in the next few years than your car will, so there is a hidden cost factor to consider with another car.
If you wanted to mod your car and have options later on, you could go with a stage 1 centri kit that could be easily removed, would not require hardly any supporting mods and would still deliver more power than any of the other cars you mentioned.
Or my favorite option, mod everything and keep it forever.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
You're close to me. Too bad you didn't post this earlier we could have met up to see if you like a Roush. I started out looking at RS3's and couldn't find anything close so I went with the only Roush in the state Michigan (RS2), threw a Roush SC on it, and saved $13-20K (after paying for the Supercharger install). I also added a xpipe. So there is one more option. Buy a new 18/19/20 GT and mod it. Personally with the deals out there with Redeyes I'd throw that in there as an option.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Take some old guy wisdom from one who has had his share of money pits: Use your "mod" money and save it for the down payment on your next new car.

OP
OP
Louk

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I just test drove a gt350.... wow it’s not like the power was out of this world but the whole experience was! Now I just need to find an rs3 or 13-14 gt500 to drive to make sure I check all the boxes off

I’m not in Michigan anymore but if I was I would have definitely hit you up on the offer to drive one!!
Sponsored