Sponsored

Buy a 2016/17 or wait for 2018 prices to drop?

Mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 2dr Fastback,300 hp
If I was you I would wait on the 2018 or 2019 Mustang because of the 5.0 engines.
Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Ive had both autos and if you want a 1/4 mile car its A10 forsure.

6R80 is rock solid but givw it time A10 clutches have been released and TQ converters shohld be out come spring.

Im swinging for 10s NA simple no drama let it eat and send it setup without spending 6k+ on FI

LiquidFlame

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
As almost everyone has said, it all depends on what you like. For myself, I bought a used 17 GT Prem PP in January of 2018 for $34k out the door. It had literally every option I wanted, except for adaptive cruise. And when I saw the 18 update however many months later, I looked into upgrading but decided it would cost too much. Really the features I wanted from the 18 were mostly the extra horsepower (which can be made up for with other upgrades/power adders), and the digital dash (which many people have swapped over into 15-17s without issue). People have even figured out how to swap in adaptive cruise. Which means, for me personally, the only other reason to upgrade to an 18 would be the front end. And do I like it that much? Not really. The 15-17s look meaner in my opinion.
But in the end, its all about what features you want and which one you like the look of better. And keep in mine some parts/features may be able to be added after purchase.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Unfortunately you will be playing a bit of russian roulette when it comes to the 2018's.... well documented engine problems on this forum. I don't like the front end redesign but some people love it... It's the first generation of the new engine design and there are issues... tread carefully...
2016-17 are solid engine wise, but if you are looking used you will need to check closely to see how they've been treated. I would check out the classifieds on this forum... most guys selling here take really good care of their vehicles...
OP don't fall for the trap. There are no more issues with the 18's than 15-17. He also mentioned documented which is funny, unless you call some YouTube sound clips and crazy "vloggers" documentation.

I do agree you are playing Russian roulette though, as almost every used Mustang has been abused. You would be better served saving some money and buying one new.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I don't know about that. I've been lurking on the steed forums for decades and the latest gen 3 coyote 5.0 is getting a substantial number of ticking or worse complaints. I've witnessed more engine or shortblock replacement threads in the past year than the past 10 years combined. That includes videos with sound that I would not be happy with.

I know there are way more gen 3 coyote engines without problems than ones that do and it's not a tsunami of problems, but like I said...more than ever for me. The 2 friends I have with them are NOT experiencing problems or excessive noise, but the problem absolutely exists.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I'll bet there are quite a few Mustangs purchased by middle age folks who have it as a second car, only drive on weekends etc. Like mine. I don't abuse my car, It is essentially as new but It isn't for sale. I can't be the only one.
Look, there is no way anyone can get a car with this type of performance for around $30K. That's why I believe the 15-17 will hold value maybe even better than the 18+ going forward. Everyone seems to forget that a base S550 GT from 2015 now outperforms the last version of the legendary BOSS 302. I don't know about you guys, but that's way good enough for me.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Buy 15-17 and mod them to your liking.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'll bet there are quite a few Mustangs purchased by middle age folks who have it as a second car, only drive on weekends etc. Like mine. I don't abuse my car, It is essentially as new but It isn't for sale. I can't be the only one.
Look, there is no way anyone can get a car with this type of performance for around $30K. That's why I believe the 15-17 will hold value maybe even better than the 18+ going forward. Everyone seems to forget that a base S550 GT from 2015 now outperforms the last version of the legendary BOSS 302. I don't know about you guys, but that's way good enough for me.
I'm 52 and bought my '15 three and a half years ago. It has 7500 miles on it, garage kept in perfect condition. Hell, my built blown, stroked 2005 has 21k on it sitting pretty like new in the garage too.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
That is not correct. The 15-17's had the 6R80 auto trans which was co-developed between Ford and GM, there for it is a ford trans.
Also the new A10 in the 18+ is the 10R80 which was another joint venture between Ford and GM
View attachment 330956
tpy2q84.gif

Wikipedia:

"The 6R is a six-speed automatic transmission for longitudinal engine placement in rear-wheel drive vehicles. It is based on the ZF 6HP26 transmission and is built under license by the Ford Motor Company at its Livonia Transmission plant in Livonia, Michigan"

When I was born my father drove us home in his 2014.5 blue Mustang coupe that he purchased new and used as his daily driver. My Mom had a brown Thunderbird. My first car was a Ford Fairmont Future that my dad purchased new.

My father's brother lived next door and drove Mercury cars.

My grandfather who lived next door drove only Ford cars including a shoebox, and Torino.

My grandfather's brothers who lived a few houses away drove Mercury cars and owned a business that used only Ford trucks.

If anyone is bleeding Ford around here it's me....that still doesn't make me an expert and we all make mistakes boss.

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’d go for the 16-17 and spend the difference on personalizing it to your taste.

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Buying ANY used car is a 'crapshoot' at best.

NOBODY but the owner knows what the car has seen.
All you can do is the best you can.
Ask questions; talk to the owner or/and have the car checked out.

I recently bought a Saturn Sky from Hackensack, NJ (700 miles away)that the Toyota dealer assured me
it was in great shape. And from the photos it was; except.....
hail dents, cracked inner fender, rotten tires, CD changer didn't work. And I'm beginning more & more
to think it has been in an accident although the CARFAX is clean.

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I bought my 2016 with 2,100 miles on it. I almost always buy my cars nearly new with just a few thousand miles on them and it cash. You’d be amazed at how much that saves in the long run.

Big

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Hey All,

I am a prospective first-time mustang buyer and am looking to buy a GT. I can't decide if I should get a 2016/17 GT Premium or just wait until next year when I am sure the prices on the 2018s will drop? It would be great to get some perspective from the community on this. Aside from some cosmetic differences are there any other reasons to hold off for a 2018?
I bought a 2018 "Certified Pre-Owned", which had 20,000 miles on it. I saved about $15,000 from the list price of a new one. I waited for the 2018's because I wanted the 10-speed transmission and the LED headlights, not to mention the nicer styling. I also have the digital gauges package which is part of the "Premium Plus" package (201A on the Ecoboost models, and 401A on the GTs). I bought from Mullinax Ford in Apopka, Florida. They have stores in Florida and Alabama I think. This is the 3rd car I bought from the same salesman. They treated me very well.

Jandino63

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I bought a 2018 "Certified Pre-Owned", which had 20,000 miles on it. I saved about $15,000 from the list price of a new one. I waited for the 2018's because I wanted the 10-speed transmission and the LED headlights, not to mention the nicer styling. I also have the digital gauges package which is part of the "Premium Plus" package (201A on the Ecoboost models, and 401A on the GTs). I bought from Mullinax Ford in Apopka, Florida. They have stores in Florida and Alabama I think. This is the 3rd car I bought from the same salesman. They treated me very well.
Love my 18 and pumped I’ll be able to put up 500hp with just a few bolt ons and a tune
Sponsored