Sponsored

Bullitt and FordPass App.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Here is what I see when I log in
Screenshot_20191007-103921_FordPass.jpg

Here is what I see when I click vehicle details:
Screenshot_20191007-104004_FordPass.jpg

According to ford tech (via service department conference call), these functions are not ford pass functions, but sync forwarded information to ford pass. This information is parced out to the fordpass app whenever sync connects to wifi or the phone (bluetooth). During the same call, ford tech claimed that this can cause ford owners who use fordpass (w/o fordpass connect) to receive "false warnings" that do not actually log to the ecu see below:
Screenshot_20191007-104843_FordPass.jpg

My service department is convinced that these are actual events that are not being logged (which they think is a bad idea on the part of ford). But ford tech is convinced that, "these are not the droids you are looking for". Part of my investigation is to get to the bottom of this aswell.

@Rev'n Step Do your first two screens match mine?
Sponsored

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
Yeah first two look exactly the same. I however, do not have any of the errors.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Yeah first two look exactly the same. I however, do not have any of the errors.
Okay. I got excited that we might have had the first fordpass connect bullitt! That information is fordpass info and not fordpass connect. Primarily because the car does not have it's own sim card based modem to forward ecu and sync data to the fordpass app in realtime.

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
Okay. I got excited that we might have had the first fordpass connect bullitt! That information is fordpass info and not fordpass connect. Primarily because the car does not have it's own sim card based modem to forward ecu and sync data to the fordpass app in realtime.
Ah I see. I didn't know they were two different things. I am sorry for the confusion!

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3993 traded. 2022 MACH 1

According to ford tech (via service department conference call), these functions are not ford pass functions, but sync forwarded information to ford pass. This information is parced out to the fordpass app whenever sync connects to wifi or the phone (bluetooth). During the same call, ford tech claimed that this can cause ford owners who use fordpass (w/o fordpass connect) to receive "false warnings" that do not actually log to the ecu see below:

My service department is convinced that these are actual events that are not being logged (which they think is a bad idea on the part of ford). But ford tech is convinced that, "these are not the droids you are looking for". Part of my investigation is to get to the bottom of this aswell.

Bear_Stang, I used to have the Smartlink on the App but noticed after a recent update to the App on my phone, it disappeared in the app. I have never seen the fuel or oil, etc in the app as of yet.
I have the car connect to my home network while in the garage, but that's only for a short time at start up or shutdown. Don't believe the car is talking to the network at any other time. Other times I have it connect to the hot spot on my phone, those updates to Sync seem to take entirely to long to install.

Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
!!!WARNING!!! A WALL OF TEXT FOLLOWS. IF YOU ARE NOT ADULT ENOUGH TO READ, YOU ARE PROBALBY NOT A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM!!!

-FORWARD-
Before I go into a lengthy update, let me express my goal(s) (and hopefully the goal(s) of any bullitt owner who feels slighted by this oversight):
  1. The ideal goal is for every bullitt owner to have the option of upgrading back to fordpass connect for free.
  2. An acceptable goal is for every bullitt owner to have the option of upgrading back to fordpass connect for the cost of the device (this would also involve a refund of the difference in MSRP of pre/post Feb 4th bullitts).
  3. A begrudging goal is for every bullitt owner to have the option of upgrading back to fordpass connect at component cost.
PLEASE remember that recalls start 3 ways:
  1. The gov or the company notice something is wrong
  2. Maintenance personnel notice that something is wrong on a regional scale
  3. CUSTOMERS NOTICE SOMETHING IS NOT ADDING UP AND BRING THAT INFORMATION TO THEIR MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT, THEN COMPANY, AND THEN (IF PRESSED) THEIR LOCAL GOVERNMENT.
-NUTS AND BOLTS-
Today I talked to my local maintenance manager about fordpass connect in bullitts, here is what he learned in his last conference call:

For some reason (that no one can/will tell him) ford decided to start taking out the fordpass connect box after Feburary 4th 2019. That means if you have a bullitt with a build date before Feburary 4th 2019 (Canada or U.S.), you should have a fully functioning Fordpass connect (including a wifi hotspot and all that jazz). PLEASE CHECK YOUR BUILD DATES AND LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE IS A PRE-FEB 4TH THAT HAS ACCESS TO FULL FORDPASS CONNECT FEATURES.​

Questions I asked after finding this out:

1. Why did they remove it? - The conference call he was on was unable to give an answer. There is just a note in the factory build log that Feb 5th bullitts and up did not get fordpass connect.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - It is unlikely that this is safety related as I have not seen a recall for the pre Feb 5th bullitts. Also, we know this is not an ATT issue as there has not been a mass recall for all version 3 modems.
  2. Why was ford still telling customers that fordpass connect was standard on the bullitts after Feb 5th? - No one knows. It is likely this is something that they are just finding out and <see question 1>
  3. Why did ford continue charging full price for the bullitt digital package if a critical part of that cost was removed? - No one knows.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - I call database error that was never corrected.
  4. Is it possible to install this item now? - If you go to the ford parts site you can not pull up the part using a bullitt vin. The part (14G229), however, will pull up under the generic mustang of the same year.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - this is not a free for all to go buy the part and install it, but it does show that ford likely dropped the ball somehow as our mustangs are really just pp1 / power pack 2 / custom paint versions of the basic mustang. Moreover, as there was no recall, it is unlikely that there was a serious conflict issue with the hardware.
  5. <what is the next step?> - Now that we know what happened from the hardware side, we CONSUMERS can ask why.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - The extension of why is "what is ford going to do to make it right?"
  6. What about CANADA where it is still shown on the sticker? - No one knows.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - Dear Canadians please lean on ford.

It is important to note that the maintenance manager did not have to initiate / attend all the calls he was on, but his department was taking care of me before the bullitt so they guy is nice enough to ask questions of people up the parts / services food chain. Your mileage may vary, but at least you have some solid facts to bring to your prospective dealerships.

I honestly love FORD, I do not think this was a purposeful oversight, but I do think it is an oversight that needs to be resolved. All 6 of the above questions need to be asked at various levels by multiple individuals before this "opps" is recognized as an "OPPS!". The order of your questions may change depending on your region / priorities, but all questions should be asked so that it does not seem like a complaint.

-CLOSING REMARKS-
The first step was getting info, now to use that info. Now that ford knows that we know that they are still advertising fordpass connect for the bullitt as a standard feature (which is a big deal in TEXAS), it is likely they will start the industrial wheels to get it removed. If you don't trust the wayback machine, I would advise you to make a copy of https://owner.ford.com/fordpass/fordpass-sync-connect.html

@K3993 You might need to completely uninstall the app. Even in the base form of fordpass you should be able to see oil / fuel range / odometer when you are directly connected to the car via blutooth. You might get updates (when you are away from the car) every now and again if you allow the car to access wifi. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS BASE FORDPASS AND NOT FORDPASS CONNECT.

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3993 traded. 2022 MACH 1
!!!WARNING!!! A WALL OF TEXT FOLLOWS. IF YOU ARE NOT ADULT ENOUGH TO READ, YOU ARE PROBALBY NOT A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM!!!

-FORWARD-
Before I go into a lengthy update, let me express my goal(s) (and hopefully the goal(s) of any bullitt owner who feels slighted by this oversight):
  1. The ideal goal is for every bullitt owner to have the option of upgrading back to fordpass connect for free.
  2. An acceptable goal is for every bullitt owner to have the option of upgrading back to fordpass connect for the cost of the device (this would also involve a refund of the difference in MSRP of pre/post Feb 4th bullitts).
  3. A begrudging goal is for every bullitt owner to have the option of upgrading back to fordpass connect at component cost.
PLEASE remember that recalls start 3 ways:
  1. The gov or the company notice something is wrong
  2. Maintenance personnel notice that something is wrong on a regional scale
  3. CUSTOMERS NOTICE SOMETHING IS NOT ADDING UP AND BRING THAT INFORMATION TO THEIR MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT, THEN COMPANY, AND THEN (IF PRESSED) THEIR LOCAL GOVERNMENT.
-NUTS AND BOLTS-
Today I talked to my local maintenance manager about fordpass connect in bullitts, here is what he learned in his last conference call:

For some reason (that no one can/will tell him) ford decided to start taking out the fordpass connect box after Feburary 4th 2019. That means if you have a bullitt with a build date before Feburary 4th 2019 (Canada or U.S.), you should have a fully functioning Fordpass connect (including a wifi hotspot and all that jazz). PLEASE CHECK YOUR BUILD DATES AND LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE IS A PRE-FEB 4TH THAT HAS ACCESS TO FULL FORDPASS CONNECT FEATURES.​

Questions I asked after finding this out:

1. Why did they remove it? - The conference call he was on was unable to give an answer. There is just a note in the factory build log that Feb 5th bullitts and up did not get fordpass connect.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - It is unlikely that this is safety related as I have not seen a recall for the pre Feb 5th bullitts. Also, we know this is not an ATT issue as there has not been a mass recall for all version 3 modems.
  2. Why was ford still telling customers that fordpass connect was standard on the bullitts after Feb 5th? - No one knows. It is likely this is something that they are just finding out and <see question 1>
  3. Why did ford continue charging full price for the bullitt digital package if a critical part of that cost was removed? - No one knows.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - I call database error that was never corrected.
  4. Is it possible to install this item now? - If you go to the ford parts site you can not pull up the part using a bullitt vin. The part (14G229), however, will pull up under the generic mustang of the same year.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - this is not a free for all to go buy the part and install it, but it does show that ford likely dropped the ball somehow as our mustangs are really just pp1 / power pack 2 / custom paint versions of the basic mustang. Moreover, as there was no recall, it is unlikely that there was a serious conflict issue with the hardware.
  5. <what is the next step?> - Now that we know what happened from the hardware side, we CONSUMERS can ask why.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - The extension of why is "what is ford going to do to make it right?"
  6. What about CANADA where it is still shown on the sticker? - No one knows.
    1. PERSONAL NOTE - Dear Canadians please lean on ford.

It is important to note that the maintenance manager did not have to initiate / attend all the calls he was on, but his department was taking care of me before the bullitt so they guy is nice enough to ask questions of people up the parts / services food chain. Your mileage may vary, but at least you have some solid facts to bring to your prospective dealerships.

I honestly love FORD, I do not think this was a purposeful oversight, but I do think it is an oversight that needs to be resolved. All 6 of the above questions need to be asked at various levels by multiple individuals before this "opps" is recognized as an "OPPS!". The order of your questions may change depending on your region / priorities, but all questions should be asked so that it does not seem like a complaint.

-CLOSING REMARKS-
The first step was getting info, now to use that info. Now that ford knows that we know that they are still advertising fordpass connect for the bullitt as a standard feature (which is a big deal in TEXAS), it is likely they will start the industrial wheels to get it removed. If you don't trust the wayback machine, I would advise you to make a copy of https://owner.ford.com/fordpass/fordpass-sync-connect.html

@K3993 You might need to completely uninstall the app. Even in the base form of fordpass you should be able to see oil / fuel range / odometer when you are directly connected to the car via blutooth. You might get updates (when you are away from the car) every now and again if you allow the car to access wifi. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS BASE FORDPASS AND NOT FORDPASS CONNECT.
Thank you for the in-depth update, the effort is very appreciated. great information here. Just went and saved the page, was thinking the same thing earlier, save it now before something gets removed.
I just checked my Build date 1/2019...dont know the exact day in Jan.
Going to play around with the app and see what happens. Will keep you informed.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the in-depth update, the effort is very appreciated. great information here. Just went and saved the page, was thinking the same thing earlier, save it now before something gets removed.
I just checked my Build date 1/2019...dont know the exact day in Jan.
Going to play around with the app and see what happens. Will keep you informed.
You are our test patient. If you can't get it to work, then we know they are blowing smoke up all of our bums. Either to buy time or to hope the majority of us give up. Let me know if I can help. If you have have not done so already go into your settings and try the "enable fordsync" function. Last I heard from ford was that it does not work, but... it might work for you.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Searched the part number listed for the modem(14G229) and found this thread:
Sync Connect Retrofit (in any Ford)
Yeah. I had already got something along those lines after I found the part number, but I am trying to go about this the "right" way. Why the option to purchase this part using any bullitt vin is suspicious as hades. You can still pull up the part under any generic gt or ecoboost setting. I also just noticed that several of those items have dissipated from junker sites in the last couple of hours :wink:.

If they decided to remove it, I would like to know why. It is likely an oversight - or - a cost issue that they figured they could run with due to our nostalgia. At the very least I would like this added back as an option so that those of us who decide to got this way can have ford install the part (goal #3).

I would be approaching this from a different angle if my maintenance manager was not stonewalled. Instead of a, "<it was not on his sticker so he don't get it>", their end answer was, "<we don't know why, but we stopped putting them on bullitts on Feb 5th>". There is also the issue that fordpass is confused as to why we can even get basic info from our vehicles without the modem (even over wifi or direct connection). Something may not be rotten, but cross department confusion is most concerning. If I can get a solid question to number 1, my analytical mind might be able to move on to goal 3. If not, state AG offices can ask questions even if the consumer does not have much to stand on. They just are a lumbering giant that take waaaaaay to long.

I spent 2 hours in chat today. None of the 6 questions were answered, but I will still share it after I redact some personal info. At the moment, I have two numbers anyone can call:

Fordpass HQ - 844-589-0059, options 3

General Customer relations (I think) - 800-392-3673 options 1,5

SIDE NOTE - Canadians, you all have more than a leg to stand on if it is still on your sticker.

SIDE NOTE 2 - Any low digit bullitts able to get the system up or have fordpass connect on your sticker?

Sponsored

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I also wanna add to this that there is an ESN number in settings on sync. Thought this is how phones on CDMA register. That would indicate this has a modem similar to Verizon/sprints on their phones. Just a thought maybe they're eventually gonna move on from at&t?

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mAkI good question. Is your build date before the Feb 5th theoretical cutoff? If not, it could be an indicator that the system was being setup for one and one never got put on. When I get my car back, I will check to see if I have one aswll.

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@mAkI good question. Is your build date before the Feb 5th theoretical cutoff? If not, it could be an indicator that the system was being setup for one and one never got put on. When I get my car back, I will check to see if I have one aswll.
No clue about the build date, how can I figure it out? I'm actually out and about right now so I can check if there's a sticker.

expeditionroasters

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt #4310 & 1968 Mustang Fastback Bullitt
I have a Jan 10, 2019 build date and it doesn't work on my Bullitt.
The FordPass app says I need to login to the FordPass SmartLink which is another username and password that is not setup.
If you go to the Fordpass.com site and log in that way and try and connect to it there, this is the message I get:

ford-1.jpg

Last edited:

ssac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt DHG / 2012 F150 5.0 Lariat / 1987 Mustang GT / 1967 Cougar
I could never get it to work on my Bullitt either. I'll check the build date today when I get home.
Sponsored