Bullitt and FordPass App.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
I recently got a 2019 Edge ST that has FordPass. I had some issues at setup, so I called technical support for help. After it was working, I asked the tech to help me setup the Bullitt. She first asked me for the serial number. I was then told that my car was not built with the internal modem that allows the car to communicate via the app. Mine is an earlier build, so that probably changed after mine was built. At first I felt cheated. Then NO! It's a Blessing! The car can't report any redline power shifts and 163 mph trips to the grocery store to Ford! ha ha. It should make it worth more $$$ someday! :-)
Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
I had a chat with a sync associate earlier:

-------------------------------------------

Info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly.

Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 18 minutes and 54 seconds. Thank you for your patience.

Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 21 minutes and 16 seconds. Thank you for your patience.

Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 14 minutes and 10 seconds. Thank you for your patience.

Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 9 minutes and 21 seconds. Thank you for your patience.

Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 5 minutes and 45 seconds. Thank you for your patience.

Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 5 minutes and 45 seconds. Thank you for your patience.

Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 3 minutes and 50 seconds. Thank you for your patience.

Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 3 minutes and 50 seconds. Thank you for your patience.

Info: You are now chatting with Stacy.

Stacy: Hi. My name is Stacy. How can I help you?

Bear_Stang: Hello Stacy, I am a bit confused about the FordPass Connect for my vehicle.

Stacy: I am happy to answer any questions, Bear_Stang.

Bear_Stang: When I first got the car, the dealer and I spent about 20 minutes trying to get ti to work. We eventually decided to give it a day or two but it is still not working.

Bear_Stang: According to the Ford-Connect Page, FordPass-Connnect is standard on the Bullitt.

Bear_Stang: It is one of the reasons I went for the upper tier mustang.

Bear_Stang: I am a month in now and FordPass Connect will still not work. FordPass will work, but not FordPass Connect.

Stacy: I am happy to help. Have you reached out to AT&T to set up an account?

Bear_Stang: No ma'am. I can't even get to that point in the app.

Stacy: In the app, are you able to access the page with the Activate/Authorize icon? I am trying to determine how far in the process you get.

Bear_Stang: In the app, when I click on "smartlink" I click on the "access smartlink" link. It then tells me to log in with my fordpass smartlink credentials.

Stacy: Oh I see. SmartLink is a separate device. Instead, access the FordPass Vehicle Controls card. Tap the Activate/Authorize icon and follow the steps to continue the process. Start the vehicle and press Allow on the in-vehicle prompt that appears on the SYNC 3 touchscreen.

Bear_Stang: ahh. Okay, so I have Fordpass working.

Bear_Stang: But I can not unlock my doors or anything with the app.

Bear_Stang: It makes since that I can not start the vehicle (bullitt has standard transmission like the gt350), but all I can do is view my vehicle info.

Stacy: So, you were able to complete the activation, but the remote features aren't working? Since you have a remote start and a SYNC 3 system, those features should work remotely. I am not aware of any limitation based on the transmission.

Stacy: I recommend speaking to a FordPass Guide. They will be able to view your account and determine why it isn't working and what can be done to fix it.

Stacy: You can reach them by clicking Contact a Guide directly from your FordPass app.

Bear_Stang: I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday for an unrelated issue, but I will reach out to the guide once I have the vehicle back in my possession. I just want to double check that fordpass connect is indeed standard on the bullitt.

Bear_Stang: It seems I was confusing fordpass connect with ford smartlink. I thought smartlink was a rebadged fordpass connect.

Stacy: That is understandable. SmartLink is a now discontinued after market device that allowed customers to have some of the same features as the SYNC 3 FordPass Connect.

Bear_Stang: AHH. So my inability to log into smartlink should not be causing my inability to see complete details about my car and unlock/lock it from my phone.

Stacy: That is correct. It is totally separate and has no effect on your FordPass Connect.

Bear_Stang: Thank you. You just solved about 2 weeks worth of Headache I will talk to the Guide as soon as I can.

Stacy: You are very welcome, Bear_Stang. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Bear_Stang: No ma'am. You have been a great help.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Most important things I learned:
1 - FordPass Connect should be on bullitts
2 - FordPass is not a re-badged "smartlink"

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So additional hardware is required, right?.. If so, is it free since it supposed to be standard?
The modem required to power FordPass Connect is in your car, at least it’s supposed to. Once connected to the FordPass app it should allow you to access all of its features (except remote start, of course).

Note that not all the features are free forever.
Service for 2019 model year vehicles includes a complimentary 2-year trial period for remote features, excluding Wi-Fi hotspot, and starts with the original vehicle sales date (after which, fees may apply)

Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
THNX.. but apparently is not
I have more updates:

1- according to ford tech, our phones should not be able to talk to the bullitt sync (even my local ford guys think this is bs)

2- according to ford tech, the error messages shot to our phone are false as there is no way our phones should be able to pull that data (*cough* bullshit *cough*)

3- ford tech has recommended that bullitt drivers uninstall the fordpass app and not use it. SAY IT WITH ME, "Male bovine excrement!"!

4- my local ford guys are still trying to figure out how to get ford to cop to the fact that they advertised the car as having this feature standard without making the company turtle and modify existing web pages (like the internet way-back machine does not exist)

5- as with most ford oversights, it takes a group of people broaching the subject over a short amount of time to get issues like this addressed. If no single bullitt has fordpass connect, this is an edition wide issue that needs to be resolved.

Oh, btw, according to ford tech, the modem can not be equipped on any standard transmission vehicle, but my local dealer has a gt350 with it sooo... yeah. *whisper* ford tech might not be so techy *whisper*.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
On the Build & Price site the GT needs the 401a to get the modem. The 400a does not get it.
643EC4DC-BBDC-4D6B-9F1F-3D4316B72D23.png

The Bullitt 500a does “not” get the modem. :facepalm:
5AABFB2E-C50D-4CD3-8D4C-8762BE8527CA.png

The Bullitt Electronics Package does not show the modem. WTF!!!

Is it possible that a $50k+ Mustang with every piece of tech they have doesn’t get a stupid modem? I really feel for you guys.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
One more thing,

This is from J.D. Power 8/6/18

Sync 3 is an intuitive infotainment system offering a satisfying user experience. In the Mustang Bullitt, it includes all available features except for navigation and Ford Pass Connect as standard equipment. Among the many programs accessible through the screen, a Track Apps system tracks performance metrics and provides access to the car’s Line Lock (controlled burnout) and Launch Control systems.

Navigation is included in the Electronics Package, which also installs a new B&O Play premium sound system by Harman. I like the new audio system more than the Mustang’s previous Shaker Pro upgrade, but it remains bass-heavy.

Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This official page clearly states FordPass Connect is standard on the Bullitt..
https://owner.ford.com/fordpass/fordpass-sync-connect.html
*nod*
Yes, yes it does. The disturbing thing is that there is not work order code to have the modem installed on the bullitt. There is an install code for every other mustang, but not the bullitt. This leads me to believe that there is a programming issue more so than a hardware issue. Either way, ALL bullitt owners need ot ask about this as that is the only way to make ford figure out a solution. If you are afraid of them using this to track you, but you already have the ELECTRONICS pack... you should think about the logic of your fear in relationship to what GPS already does.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
BAP is still 2019 for ford.ca and clearly shows it on the 500A package contents.
19Bullitt_500A_Canadian.jpg

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BAP is still 2019 for ford.ca and clearly shows it on the 500A package contents.
19Bullitt_500A_Canadian.jpg
And now stuff gets complicated. It is likely the builder is running in real time and ford will claim that the item was added halfway through the model year... that being said, those of us with higher numbers should see it, right?

To date, I have yet to run across any bullitt owner with the fordpass connect wifi hotspot on the bullitt electronics package.

*edit* that image is noted as Canada. Is it possible this is US issue only?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
And now stuff gets complicated. It is likely the builder is running in real time and ford will claim that the item was added halfway through the model year... that being said, those of us with higher numbers should see it, right?

To date, I have yet to run across any bullitt owner with the fordpass connect wifi hotspot on the bullitt electronics package.

*edit* that image is noted as Canada. Is it possible this is US issue only?
Here’s the US 2019 500a. The 2020 is not listed yet.
CDD50111-5801-4A39-B42F-FC93AABF2B0B.png

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cheeky ford... very cheeky...

I noticed a "mykey" item on the US builder in addition to the "intelligent access". Is anyone seeing something similar in the CA builds?
Sponsored