Sponsored

Broken rings - which route

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So my engine is coming out in a couple days and I am wondering who has experience with their car down on compression w/ some broken rings after some boost?

I drove it hard for 25K Miles at around 700whp on the street.

Figured out why it happened but it is what it is.

For whoever who faced the same problems (down on compression, broken rings), which route did you go and how much did it cost?

My car still starts up and runs, no crazy sounds coming from engine bay but only time will tell after the full engine tear down.

Was your shortblock OK or did you have to full out replace the shortblock as well.

Thanks
Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Welcome back man.

Your last text was you sold the blower and we’re trading in the car. Decided to keep it I see.

What was the thought on why it blew?

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hahah, I picked up a new Raptor and I've been driving that since..
I was originally trading it in but decided to keep it and work on it this year.

Think it broke a couple rings because of thin oil. I had a free oil change from Ford and I forgot to mention to the tech that I usually put in thicker oil in comparison to OEM (because of the blower at the time).

He put in the stock 5w20 and when i started pushing it later that week is when i started seeing smoke out the back. That's when everything went to shit.

Long story short, I'm building the car, changing the setup and I daily the Raptor instead. This will be more of a toy.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
With just broken rings they can usually just hone the cylinders and your good to go with your block, no need to replace it. Crank can probably be polished and reused but while your in there it would be a good idea to put in some stronger pistons and rods, and head studs are a good idea for boost.

Depending on the shop I'd expect to pay somewhere around $10k (USD). I'm going through this right now.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
5w20 wasn't the issue. Plenty folks including me make more power on that oil. Sounds like it's time to go rods/pistons/sleeved block.

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
With just broken rings they can usually just hone the cylinders and your good to go with your block, no need to replace it. Crank can probably be polished and reused but while your in there it would be a good idea to put in some stronger pistons and rods, and head studs are a good idea for boost.

Depending on the shop I'd expect to pay somewhere around $10k (USD). I'm going through this right now.
I am expecting that much.. However closer to 10K CAD which is around 7500$ USD. Talked to a local engine re builder here with a good rep.

Broken rings or "ring lands"??:shock:
Ringlands lol, not many other rings broken under boost

5w20 wasn't the issue. Plenty folks including me make more power on that oil. Sounds like it's time to go rods/pistons/sleeved block.
That makes sense.. I am thinking a combination of the oil, heat and wear and tear caused it to go. It is what it is though

Plans for e85 or stick to 91-93?
93 Octane + Meth. No E85 Here in Canada.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Something you don’t see much of in the mustang world is lowering of the compression. 12/1, boost, and e85 is awesome but if you want to run 91-93 failures do occur. I think you could drop compression, raise boost, and make more power safely.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Can you do any of the work yourself? A forged/sleeved shortblock using your block and crank is doable for 6k. That's having the machine shop doing the shortblock, you doing the rest.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Something you don’t see much of in the mustang world is lowering of the compression. 12/1, boost, and e85 is awesome but if you want to run 91-93 failures do occur. I think you could drop compression, raise boost, and make more power safely.
It appears he has a gen2, on pump 93 I'd stay with 11:1

Jbcain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
6.7psd, 3.0eco
While high compression and boost is a fun recipe, it really is hard on shit.

The advent of vct and tuning in general, you could definitely lower the static compression and affectively keep dynamic compression fairly stock.

There's all kinds of tricks to compensate for lower SR.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
It appears he has a gen2, on pump 93 I'd stay with 11:1
11/1 and port injection isn’t much better than 12/1 with gdi. And his broke. Even on earlier generations I think lowering compression is beneficial to both power and reliability.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
11/1 and port injection isn’t much better than 12/1 with gdi. And his broke. Even on earlier generations I think lowering compression is beneficial to both power and reliability.
I wish everyone was as conservative as you are. Makes going fast alot easier!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Lowering compression on pump gas is a good idea but only if you have a head unit large enough to compensate.

You'll make less boost with lower compression and with a smaller head unit you may not be able to pulley down enough to make up for it. This is why I didn't lower compression on my motor.
Sponsored