Sponsored

Biggsy's Track Build

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you need to change your image permissions so we can revel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Sorry no, just entire 3.73 pumpkin with torsen. With your D5 that might be a bit much
Well I have 3.73s now. I’m running out of gear going into T1 and T10 on 26” tires. From calculations 3.55 will be perfect.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Please elaborate on this.
I can see how it is the most popular track car. I read somewhere recently that real fun is driving a slow car fast. the only lightweight vehicle I have driven recently was a '91 NSX on the street so this was my second time riding in a light car. I can see the different weight makes. Obviously we were not passing any of the cars on the track but experiencing the turn in and watching the instructor's inputs, the Miata is definitely a great car to enjoy. It was a 2022 and I am not familiar with the generations so it may feel different in an older model. For the cost and the fun, I can see why people turn to that platform.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I'm digging your thread, and I might add one of your track photos to my rotating backgrounds. 😁

...the Miata is definitely a great car to enjoy. It was a 2022 and I am not familiar with the generations so it may feel different in an older model. For the cost and the fun, I can see why people turn to that platform.
The first 3 generations probably have better steering feedback, since the power assist was hydraulic. The first 2 generations have 4-wheel double wishbone suspensions, while the 3rd gen switched to MacPherson struts.
...So not only are Miatas popular at a track or autocross, the first generation (with the pop-up headlights) still shows up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I'm digging your thread, and I might add one of your track photos to my rotating backgrounds. 😁

The first 3 generations probably have better steering feedback, since the power assist was hydraulic. The first 2 generations have 4-wheel double wishbone suspensions, while the 3rd gen switched to MacPherson struts.
...So not only are Miatas popular at a track or autocross, the first generation (with the pop-up headlights) still shows up.

Thank ya kindly. Hopefully I have more pictures after my event on Friday.

I thought about renting a Miata for an event just to see. Thanks for the info on the differences!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hello there...

Just finished my first event on Saturday with NASA at NJMP- Lighting course. Great day and great organization. Since it wa say first event, I was in DE1 with an instructor who owns a GT350R and C7 Z06. Its definitely a different group of cars than you see at other organizations' events because of the multiple series within NASA. I was one of I think 2 mustangs, the other one being a GT350R. The other cars in the group were smaller powered cars like the GR86. When you buy a GR86, they give you a free NASA event so there were quite a few of them and I believe all of them were first timers. It was my first time at NJMP but I watched hours of YouTube videos before the weekend so I had the line down within the first 3 or 4 laps. Due to the short track, I got in serious traffic throughout the day. Out of the 45 or so laps between 4 sessions, I probably had less than 10 clean laps. In the second session, I made sure to grid first, but within the first 2 laps, I caught up to the back of the line. Overall, it was a great day and I received nothing but positive feedback from my instructor. For the last session, we didn't even wear the comms device because he felt I was doing just fine. He said he would like me to do another event with NASA before going to DE2. I went out with him in his Z06 and man, I wouldn't mind owning one just for track duty.

On to the car...

Braking
It felt amazing and the weather was great. I moved up from GLOC R12 to Carbotech XP20(R16 equivalent) and it was great. Not going back down in compound anymore ( I have an extra set of R12 if interested). I still have R10 in the back and will move up to R12 for better trail braking performance. Going into T1 and T7 are hard braking zones. The car felt a bit unsettled as I was braking, but I'm sure it was alignment related as I didn't get an alignment after my previous event at Summit Point just a week prior. No brake fade do to overheating thanks again to @GTP brake vanes.

Tires
The RRs were great and didn't lose much grip throughout the session. I guess it was able to hold because I was in traffic and I was still getting to know the track and finding my limits. There is much more time to be cut with these tires. A GT350 on slicks cut a 1:10 and my instructor in his GT350 runs 1:15 I believe so my best recorded time of the day of 1:23 isn't bad. I went even faster (maybe 1:21s) in the last session but didn't log it. They did seem to get a bit greasy in the 3rd session which is where I got most of my clean laps.

Blip Module
I tried using the Xineering module again, but I am used to heel toe so it felt weird and my driving got worse. Its unfortunate because of the time I put into installing it, but I am happy to continue mastering the skill.

Going forward...

I think that was my last event of the year unless I can find a way to get my car down to Road Atlanta for a reasonable cost. I am selling off my wheel and tire set to go to 18s. I didn't hit my 12 event mark but this was the most events I have done in a year. Will start much earlier and do much more in 2023. I am already eyeing the NASA event back at NJMP in March.
  • Install 3.55s
  • R12 rear pads
  • Powder coat and install RL vents
  • Watson Chromoly 4pt + harness (Schroth or Sabelt) + seats (Sabelt Titan Max)
  • Replace pilot bearing
  • Better tires
  • J&M brake lines
  • 9LR Wang + DIY splitter
  • MMR Diff Cooler
  • Stiffen BMR front bar + less rear bar
  • MMI lateral arms with spherical bearings

Finally, the video...This was my fastest lap with data. I would upload the whole session, but it would just be me in traffic and not getting point bys lol. I was still trying different things like which gear I preferred to be in especially going into T1 and T7. I could defiantly get on the throttle much faster leading up to the front straight. I am seeing time to be lost everywhere so we will see next year.

I spent time fighting with Race Render so I might as well post all that work lol. Pictures coming soon.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
769AA63C-34C1-4980-8A2E-2FF908B56EB8.jpeg

E168CDC6-820A-4071-89E1-31AE8B08C475.jpeg

9011BCB8-A62C-4813-A639-F2E9C095A2FA.jpeg

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hey Biggsy! Would you happen to have a pic of the top mount with these plates installed (on or off the car doesn't matter)? Finally got around to getting some and trying to compare and I know you also have the frpp track dampers. The top nut of mine just barely engages the threads needed. Doesn't make me feel very comfortable... Curious if yours is the same.

IMG_20221114_181240.jpg
Fortunately I do have one in my phone. Let me know if you still have a problem with it. I can run down to the car and take a better picture.

3BC4EBAB-4677-408B-BDC4-03AF3C2FCBCE.jpeg

69377642-9CAE-430C-8EE2-E747AB0C821A.jpeg

C4F62364-7D18-4F7E-9A09-F69DDAD9DA99.jpeg

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
yours looks correct. I remember I had the same concerns with my previous MM plates

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
yours looks correct. I remember I had the same concerns with my previous MM plates
Oh awesome! Thanks for the quick reply, was gonna PM you the details instead. Makes me feel a bit better knowing yours looks the same as mine now. Now to get them in and test them out.

IMG_20221114_181240.jpg
Sponsored