Sponsored

Benefit to square wheel setup vs staggered?

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
19x10 +35 w/ 275/40 works really well for me (see sig). No spacers or camber plates needed.
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I run a 19x11 +52 on 305/30/19 SC2’s and the grip is amazing in 99% of driving conditions on and off track.

A lot of your logic is sound OP however there are drawbacks to very wide front tires if you drive your car a lot.

tramlining will happen, camber/toe might be needed and casual driving experience will go out the door with a wider square set up. However if you want to out perform a lot of more expensive cars on the track or on mountain roads, you might be able to oversee those tendencies.

If you are a casual driver, I wouldn’t mess with it.

Good luck OP!

5692CD52-B145-4754-8162-CD5DFB3BBD40.jpeg

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I currently believe having as wide a tire as possible both front and rear offers a substantial performance benefit in the form of grip and handling. I'm a 46 yr old newb mustang owner, so I may be entirely wrong. I don't like the sunken look of the front wheels. I want to upgrade them to something that has enough of an offset to eliminate the need for spacers. While I'm at it, I'm thinking I should entertain the possibility of a square setup so that I can rotate all four corners and have more performance at the same time. Is my logic flawed? Should I stick with the factory staggered setup? If I'm lucky, I'll get to the track at least once in my lifetime. Otherwise, I'm limited to spirited backroad driving.
I have a 2021 GT performance pack.
The road surface is the limiting factor. A square set allows you to rotate tires and get more use out of a set. If you track it allot then sure but wide tires tram line and that push and pulling hurts performance as you near the limits as a tiny pull can put you over it and off you go.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I run 285/35/19 square for daily driving, love it. The amount of mechanical grip you get is crazy compared to stock setup. The only negative (which others have mentioned) is the car wanders more on bad pavement, it follows troughs and such. Not a huge deal, although I'd wager with 305's its probably pretty annoying.

Being able to rotate is also awesome for autocross if you're into that, since the fronts take way more abuse than the rears, especially if you're foolish enough to run stock camber like I am.

Sponsored

Alerch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I'm running a squared set up 19x11 with 305's. The reason is so I can rotate tires, I track my car and hardly sees the road anymore but when I do drive it, it tends to wander around thanks to the wonderful roads here in Charleston SC... These cars look great with big rubber on all 4 corners!!

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Replacing the forward mounted control arm rubber Bushing with a spherical bearing eliminates much of the darty road manners in my experience. It removes the constant caster changes that occur over bumps and uneven pavement. Turn in is much improved and consistent.

Square is always the answer IMO unless you are drag racing. Very front weight biased Mustangs need as much tire as possible up-front.

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
I run the square set up on my PP2 and it has amazing mechanical grip in the wet or dry. I run the OEM sizing, 305/30/19, Michelin Sport 4S in the rain and Good Year F1 SC3 in the dry. It makes for an incredible momentum car at the track.

The Ridge May 2023 7.jpg

The Ridge May 2023 5.jpg

SLB_GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP, Magnetic Gray.
My 2 cents…

Square all the way! I’ve never liked how the 255’s fill in the front wheel well. For me it’s an improvement in look, feel, tread life and performance. I’m currently running 275/40 R19 square with longer studs and spacers up front. At Big Willow, I’ve been pretty hard on the stock 255’s but the 275’s are faring much better so far.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Replacing the forward mounted control arm rubber Bushing with a spherical bearing eliminates much of the darty road manners in my experience. It removes the constant caster changes that occur over bumps and uneven pavement. Turn in is much improved and consistent.

Square is always the answer IMO unless you are drag racing. Very front weight biased Mustangs need as much tire as possible up-front.
Nailed it. This describes my setup and my experience very accurately.

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
I'm running 305 30 19's all the way around on gt350 rims. Not a square setup but the tires can be rotated only by remounting.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I would do this. Sit down, think what you want out of your car, and set it up for that. There’s people out there that want their car to do everything. Straight line speed with ability to corner carve and you end up doing both but not very good. Different tires set ups for different duties.

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I ran 275/40/19 square and 285/35/20 square and recently went staggered keeping the 285/35/20 up front and got 305/35/20 in the rear. I much preferred square from a handling point of view, tires lasting longer due to rotations is a plus too. I’m now moving to 305/30/20 square with the use of camber plates, spacers, and extended studs. I would go square but ultimately it’s personal preference.
Have you tested the 305/30x20 up front yet? I have the same 275/40x19 square now and I just purchased a set of staggered 20" Velgen Classic 5's but can swap out the front 10" wheels for some 11" wheels. I have some camber plates but they're sitting on the shelf right now.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Square 305/30s on 19x10.5s here. On air suspension with much smaller front struts, so I can shoehorn that big a tire up front a lot easier and with a smaller spacer than a stock-sized strut.

I'm planning on coming off air and onto a Bilstein/Steeda setup, so I'll have to install my extended studs and spacers with a lot more camber.

MarquanTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marquan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Have you tested the 305/30x20 up front yet? I have the same 275/40x19 square now and I just purchased a set of staggered 20" Velgen Classic 5's but can swap out the front 10" wheels for some 11" wheels. I have some camber plates but they're sitting on the shelf right now.
I haven't tested it yet as I'm waiting for the wheels, camber plates, studs and spaces but it should fit upfront with some camber, but 305/35/20 will not fit as it's too tall
Sponsored