BBQ tick :(

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
It says 5W20 on mine in Canada too and that's what it gets. No tick to speak of yet but rattles like a mofo lol.
Sponsored

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP1, Ford Edge 2008 SEL
It says 5W20 on mine in Canada too and that's what it gets. No tick to speak of yet but rattles like a mofo lol.
In the owners manual it says 5w-20 or 5w-30 or for heavy use 5w-50

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
In the owners manual it says 5w-20 or 5w-30 or for heavy use 5w-50
Actually, my manual states to use 5W30 when you're going to race (track use) and switch back to 5W20 after you're done (you're supposed to change the oil and filter before racing and after racing). This is for the 5.0L; for the 2.3L you switch to 5W50 and after racing go back to 5W30.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, my manual states to use 5W30 when you're going to race (track use) and switch back to 5W20 after you're done (you're supposed to change the oil and filter before racing and after racing). This is for the 5.0L; for the 2.3L you switch to 5W50 and after racing go back to 5W30.
Ford Racing School cars run 5W50 on track though so are the GT350's

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Two things
What connects the dots .............. BBQ tick, and a Mustang? Who has ever heard the BBQ tick ?

Love to here the answer.

Second BBQ tick ............... broken record.

Sponsored

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Ceratec it up! And you're golden. Mine is smooth and quiet.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Ceratec it up! And you're golden. Mine is smooth and quiet.
My car is smooth, pulls like a bull, corners like it's on rails, and barks.

Not a concern for me, little mechanical noises coming from an alum block.

Know the cause, and in a funny kind of way. The sound level allows me to monitor things.

What I'm asking has nothing to do with the sound. Trying to figure out the connection of it and a BBQ . Now branded as BBQ tick?

Seems stupid and inconstant.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My car is smooth, pulls like a bull, corners like it's on rails, and barks.

Not a concern for me, little mechanical noises coming from an alum block.

Know the cause, and in a funny kind of way. The sound level allows me to monitor things.

What I'm asking has nothing to do with the sound. Trying to figure out the connection of it and a BBQ . Now branded as BBQ tick?

Seems stupid and inconstant.
Unless you look up the reason............

Recently, there’s been a great deal of discussion over an engine tick in the 2018-2019 Mustang. Sometimes referred to as a BBQ tick, it sounds a little bit like a starter in a barbecue grill. Others have called it the typewriter tick. There are tee-shirts and Facebook groups dedicated to it.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Unless you look up the reason............

Recently, there’s been a great deal of discussion over an engine tick in the 2018-2019 Mustang. Sometimes referred to as a BBQ tick, it sounds a little bit like a starter in a barbecue grill. Others have called it the typewriter tick. There are tee-shirts and Facebook groups dedicated to it.
Yeah - I like “typewriter” better for the sound I hear… it has some “thunk” to it that doesn’t match up with a BBQ lighter. But I know there is some range to the sound (and maybe the composite oil pan has changed it somewhat over the years).

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
mustang-tick.jpg

Sponsored

Trebor355

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018gt
Well I thought I lucked out with my 2020 gt, 3800 miles and no tick..pulled it out of the garage from winter storage and took it to the dealer yesterday for state inspection and it's 1st oil change. Didn't notice any noise on the drive home so I thought I was in the clear. I'm at work this evening and my wife calls me ask if I hit something or left something under the hood, said she hears what sounds like a quarter bouncing against the hood on light acceleration...I immediately knew what it was :( I came home started the car and after warm up..tick tick tick..hoped in drove to advanced auto they didn't have any certec but had luqui moly Mos2. I put a bottle of that in, drove home and still have a tick here and there but it has helped tremendously. It goes this Saturday to get the headers put on so hopefully the loudness will just drown it out.

Trebor355

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018gt
I have a 2018 I was worried about getting that tick sure enough at 700 miles it came in, Dump out the crap that Ford put in there that 5/20 blend Put in amsoil 5/20 full senthetic all the way haven't had a problem since ,just a little tix when I put it in reverse out of the garage, then it's gone!!!

Grayden4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grayden
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT/CS, 2011 F350, 2019 Mustang GT PPL2
Has anyone pinpointed the source of the noise? I haven't seen any discussions about the oil pressure control solenoid or the bypass valve in the oil filter as potential noise-makers. I noticed when I changed my oil for the first time that the original factory-installed oil filter was a FoMoCo 9C2E6714BA generic-labeled piece. I replaced it with a Motorcraft FL-500S AA4Z-6714-A and 10 quarts of Motorcraft 5W20 oil, and have had no noise issues.

U5PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Magneride, stop the hop kit, Roush Stage 2 2650 dynoed at 640 hp at the wheel, 10R80 Automatic, Carroll Shelby CS3 wheels, resonator delete, Full Roush body kit, tinted, and paint protection all over (vinyl), and too much more to mention.
Not all owners get the tick after the first oil change. Some do, some don’t. The oil does not have any kind of modifier in it. Like I said in an earlier post this discussion has been ongoing for four years with no conclusions. Ford says it’s normal, and no one has blown and engine because of it. It just is what it is.
Sponsored