Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
What oil filter are you all using?

I ran 5w30 PP and had the tick. Moved to 5w20 PP and no tick. Ran 5w30 PP again, also no tick... So viscosity is out. The only other thing that changed was that I stopped using the motorcraft filter. So I've been tick free, when it used to be really had, for 12k miles. I've never used ceratec or any kind of oil additive in this engine.
Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
When I first bought mine used at 14k miles, I heard it intermittently when idling in my driveway. I went ahead and changed the oil to 5W-20 PP at 16k miles because I wasn't sure what was in there, haven't heard it since.

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
My bbq tick is crazy loud on my 15 GT. I thought I bought a busted mustang few months ago when I got it lol. It has pennzoil platinum in it but might swap it out for something different when I change the oil for the first time see if i can get it quite. I thought it was an exhaust leak at first.

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
The tick starts back after an oil change. It goes away after oil ages. My car does not tick(old oil) and I am about to change oil. It will be back. Fourth oil change now. Has done it every time. Goes away and comes back.

The tick has been around since the coyote was introduced. It IS a characteristic of the engine and is normal. The gen 3 for various reasons amplifies it. That’s the end of this story.
I am experiencing the same thing, mild case of the BBQ tick with fresh oil only. On my second change now, dissapointed to hear it back after months of driving without it

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
My tick just started at 34K on the last oil change. Been good all the way up to then. I am going to buy Ceratec for the next one.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I am experiencing the same thing, mild case of the BBQ tick with fresh oil only. On my second change now, dissapointed to hear it back after months of driving without it
Are you having oil consumption? My engine eats 1qt of oil every 1200 miles or so

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

I tried for several hundred miles and my tick did get better a tad but was still there. A bottle of Ceratec and it was gone..
Are you having oil consumption? My engine eats 1qt of oil every 1200 miles or so

So does mine...its common.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I tried for several hundred miles and my tick did get better a tad but was still there. A bottle of Ceratec and it was gone..

So does mine...its common.
Ooohh yours consumes oil as well? Do you know how much? I don't feel any performance loss, but the oil consumption was a bit concerning.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never had the tick until my 2nd oil change.

Same here, the first one no issues. I thought I dodged the tick bullet. The 2nd change, bamm....the Tick!!

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ooohh yours consumes oil as well? Do you know how much? I don't feel any performance loss, but the oil consumption was a bit concerning.

I do a lot of short drives so I am sure that exasperates it. I am right with you though, about 1 litre per 1200 miles. Ford said if it goes to 1 litre for 750 miles than they will be concerned. These are high revving power plants. My E92 M3 with the S65 engine (8400rpm) also consumed the same amount of oil. I just learned to live with it. I never see it blow smoke on startup or anything. It could also be the PCV system.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I do a lot of short drives so I am sure that exasperates it. I am right with you though, about 1 litre per 1200 miles. Ford said if it goes to 1 litre for 750 miles than they will be concerned. These are high revving power plants. My E92 M3 with the S65 engine (8400rpm) also consumed the same amount of oil. I just learned to live with it. I never see it blow smoke on startup or anything. It could also be the PCV system.
Gotcha, good to know, that gives me a bit more peace of mind. Adding a bottle of oil a couple times between full oil changes just isn't something I'm used to with my previous cars. I guess as long as we check the oil often and add as needed hopefully the engine will last a long time. Someone on this post did mention their oil consumption went away after they got a PCM update at the dealer. Know anything about this? One gt owner mentioned they got the same thing and the car felt sluggish after the PCM update to address his oil consumption.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha, good to know, that gives me a bit more peace of mind. Adding a bottle of oil a couple times between full oil changes just isn't something I'm used to with my previous cars. I guess as long as we check the oil often and add as needed hopefully the engine will last a long time. Someone on this post did mention their oil consumption went away after they got a PCM update at the dealer. Know anything about this? One gt owner mentioned they got the same thing and the car felt sluggish after the PCM update to address his oil consumption.

I wouldn't do this anyway as I have the Ford Racing Power kit on my car. Just check it at every fill up and keep a couple of litres of oil in the boot.

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Minor amount but inconsistant. 1st top up was half a litre at 2500kms, then a quarter litre at 1300kms then no top up required at 1400kms which was my oil change interval.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
maybe 20w is to thin ?
Sponsored