Sponsored

BBQ tick :(

U5PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Magneride, stop the hop kit, Roush Stage 2 2650 dynoed at 640 hp at the wheel, 10R80 Automatic, Carroll Shelby CS3 wheels, resonator delete, Full Roush body kit, tinted, and paint protection all over (vinyl), and too much more to mention.
Actually if you replace the oil with break-in oil you will have no problems as it has a higher level of zinc. In regard to the owners manual all dealers were sent reprinted manuals changing the 5W/20 to 5W/30 but most dealers could not find any difference in the new manual so just binned them. Claimed they thought they were just in case someone had lost their original owners manual.
Sponsored

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
My ‘20 Gen 3 doesn’t tick. I use MC 5w-20 from Wal Mart. Actually, (from hood perspective) it’s quieter than my 4.6L.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Well I thought I lucked out with my 2020 gt, 3800 miles and no tick..pulled it out of the garage from winter storage and took it to the dealer yesterday for state inspection and it's 1st oil change. Didn't notice any noise on the drive home so I thought I was in the clear. I'm at work this evening and my wife calls me ask if I hit something or left something under the hood, said she hears what sounds like a quarter bouncing against the hood on light acceleration...I immediately knew what it was :( I came home started the car and after warm up..tick tick tick..hoped in drove to advanced auto they didn't have any certec but had luqui moly Mos2. I put a bottle of that in, drove home and still have a tick here and there but it has helped tremendously. It goes this Saturday to get the headers put on so hopefully the loudness will just drown it out.
Side question for ya and other GT owners, if you rev your engine slowly, does your RPM needle slightly jump at 1500RPM to 1750RPM? I have a 2020 GT and my tick started exactly after the 1st oil change too at around the same miles. Then I noticed that when I rev or accelerate slowly, the RPM needle quickly jumps/twitches at around 1500RPM to 1750RPM instead of it going up smoothly in one motion. Strangely, this is also the range where the ticking is most present.

Do you OP or any other mustang GT owners have this RPM needle thing or seen it? It doesn't seem to have any negative effect on performance or acceleration, but the needle skip is noticeable with slow throttle. When I throttle fast or aggressively the needle goes up fast and smooth in one motion.

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT pp2, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, Ram 3500
Based on all the stuff I've read about mine... I'm actually wondering if it's not showing itself at oil change time because it's air getting into things and you hear tapping because of cavitation or something. Seems like I've read people complaining of it after oil changes and people who have tried everything with weights and oil makes and still see it.

Also doesn't make a ton of sense that it'd be loud right after oil change and eventually start sounding better.

Mine started immediately after first oil change... And did quiet down for a bit. Just did my second oil change and it was noisy again.

I think I'm gonna get mine looked at... Maybe bore scope my cylinders just to make sure no scoring or anything is present... go with a slightly higher weight with ceratec or whatever and then just drive it... Enjoy it.

OP
OP
bammons88

bammons88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Side question for ya and other GT owners, if you rev your engine slowly, does your RPM needle slightly jump at 1500RPM to 1750RPM? I have a 2020 GT and my tick started exactly after the 1st oil change too at around the same miles. Then I noticed that when I rev or accelerate slowly, the RPM needle quickly jumps/twitches at around 1500RPM to 1750RPM instead of it going up smoothly in one motion. Strangely, this is also the range where the ticking is most present.

Do you OP or any other mustang GT owners have this RPM needle thing or seen it? It doesn't seem to have any negative effect on performance or acceleration, but the needle skip is noticeable with slow throttle. When I throttle fast or aggressively the needle goes up fast and smooth in one motion.
I haven't noticed that. My rpms are pretty normal/consistent. Now that I have the headers on I don't hear the tick, even at idle the sound of the exhaust is enough to drown out any ticks or taps lol..its a thing of the past now.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

MV5BN2YzM2ZhOWMtYmEwMS00YzAyLWFiNjAtZTRmZGNhMDFmNjk5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR...jpg

Glenn 70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
1970 mach 1 mustang
Well I thought I lucked out with my 2020 gt, 3800 miles and no tick..pulled it out of the garage from winter storage and took it to the dealer yesterday for state inspection and it's 1st oil change. Didn't notice any noise on the drive home so I thought I was in the clear. I'm at work this evening and my wife calls me ask if I hit something or left something under the hood, said she hears what sounds like a quarter bouncing against the hood on light acceleration...I immediately knew what it was :( I came home started the car and after warm up..tick tick tick..hoped in drove to advanced auto they didn't have any certec but had luqui moly Mos2. I put a bottle of that in, drove home and still have a tick here and there but it has helped tremendously. It goes this Saturday to get the headers put on so hopefully the loudness will just drown it out.
I only use 5w30 oil not 5w20 in my 17 model . Oil cap says 5w20 ,service book says 5w30 here in Australia

freudianfloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
New guy here so sorry if this has been answered, but is this still a problem on the 21's? I admittedly did little research before buying my new GT, but after reading this, and the issues some people were having with the MT82, it makes me wonder if I should take the dealership up on the offer of lifetime drivetrain warranty, as long as I get them to do all service, including oil changes. I have never had to take a car in for service in all my years of owning a car, and would prefer not to, but I also don't want to deal with a broke down Mustang after a few thousand miles.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
New guy here so sorry if this has been answered, but is this still a problem on the 21's? I admittedly did little research before buying my new GT, but after reading this, and the issues some people were having with the MT82, it makes me wonder if I should take the dealership up on the offer of lifetime drivetrain warranty, as long as I get them to do all service, including oil changes. I have never had to take a car in for service in all my years of owning a car, and would prefer not to, but I also don't want to deal with a broke down Mustang after a few thousand miles.
The question isn’t if you will get it. It is will you hear it. They all have it. It’s something in the motor. No one has had a blown motor due to it. I would continue to due your own maintenance. The basic power train warranty will cover you for 5/60 so nothing to concern yourself with for a long time.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The human body makes noises when it eats, sleeps, and sits at idle. So does the Coyote.

U5PONY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Magneride, stop the hop kit, Roush Stage 2 2650 dynoed at 640 hp at the wheel, 10R80 Automatic, Carroll Shelby CS3 wheels, resonator delete, Full Roush body kit, tinted, and paint protection all over (vinyl), and too much more to mention.
Has anyone ever had the break in oil tested? Could it contain similar addictive like the Ceratec? Not trying to argue with one but almost everyone that gets their first oil change and has a tick, its because they get synthetic blend which is when they start hearing the tick. Since day one I have asked for full synthetic and with over 16,000 miles I still dont have any ticks.
The break in oil has a high amount of zinc in it. Seems Ceratec also has some additives that quieten the noise. I use 5w-50 as it has a Roush Supercharger installed. 0W-40 is also good at reducing any noise.

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
Finally got mile oil changed at 3,100 miles and no tick to speak of.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just wanted to follow up. Finally got mile oil changed at 3,100 miles and no tick to speak of.
Nice!

I can definitely say that mine has subsided some after putting 1500 miles on this oil. Just trying not to pay too much attention to it....
Sponsored