BBQ tick :(

bammons88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Well I thought I lucked out with my 2020 gt, 3800 miles and no tick..pulled it out of the garage from winter storage and took it to the dealer yesterday for state inspection and it's 1st oil change. Didn't notice any noise on the drive home so I thought I was in the clear. I'm at work this evening and my wife calls me ask if I hit something or left something under the hood, said she hears what sounds like a quarter bouncing against the hood on light acceleration...I immediately knew what it was :( I came home started the car and after warm up..tick tick tick..hoped in drove to advanced auto they didn't have any certec but had luqui moly Mos2. I put a bottle of that in, drove home and still have a tick here and there but it has helped tremendously. It goes this Saturday to get the headers put on so hopefully the loudness will just drown it out.
Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Well I thought I lucked out with my 2020 gt, 3800 miles and no tick..pulled it out of the garage from winter storage and took it to the dealer yesterday for state inspection and it's 1st oil change. Didn't notice any noise on the drive home so I thought I was in the clear. I'm at work this evening and my wife calls me ask if I hit something or left something under the hood, said she hears what sounds like a quarter bouncing against the hood on light acceleration...I immediately knew what it was :( I came home started the car and after warm up..tick tick tick..hoped in drove to advanced auto they didn't have any certec but had luqui moly Mos2. I put a bottle of that in, drove home and still have a tick here and there but it has helped tremendously. It goes this Saturday to get the headers put on so hopefully the loudness will just drown it out.
did they put blend or full synthetic?

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
I'm about ready for my first oil change. Not looking foward to it.

OP
OP
bammons88

bammons88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
I'm about ready for my first oil change. Not looking foward to it.
Yeah I was dreading it, it actually threw me off when I heard just how loud the tick actually was..I was like wtf..that's a hell of a tic lol its loud enough that it resonates through my xpipe. I really romped on It and still runs like a champ and after about 2500rpm you can't hear anything but slow rolling into the throttle it's like a flutter tick between 1000-2500rpm and at idle its just sporadic..just like all the videos sounds like someone smashing keys on a type writer.

Sponsored

Sigman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Mustang MT82
Bummer!
I performed the first oil change yesterday - 3003 miles. Pre-filled the oil filter with Mobile 1 full synthetic, half started it 5 times before letting the engine catch and start, warmed it up and took it out for a shake down run. So far so good no ticking.

50thLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50YearLE #35
My 14 GT had the "tick" but it would come and go. I started using 5w-30 synthetic in it and had no issue. Several pots in various forums about it. I'm wondering if it all comes down to oil viscosity, etc.. So far my S has not experienced a "tick" even after having the oil changed.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm two oil changes in with no tick, about to do my third and hoping it doesn't spontaneously appear.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My 14 GT had the "tick" but it would come and go. I started using 5w-30 synthetic in it and had no issue. Several pots in various forums about it. I'm wondering if it all comes down to oil viscosity, etc.. So far my S has not experienced a "tick" even after having the oil changed.
No one has yet determined any correlation between the tick and motor oil. Brand, type, or weight. That‘s not to say that changing oil in a particular motor could effect the noise level. The only thing we know is that Ceretec reduces the noise to a level that most do not even notice it anymore.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Does anyone here in Europe have this "tick"? I've changed the oil four times now (first time at the dealer), and I'm at about 11,000 miles now.

Here in Europe we use Castrol Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5w20 and I can't remember reading anyone having the tick here.

50thLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50YearLE #35
No one has yet determined any correlation between the tick and motor oil. Brand, type, or weight. That‘s not to say that changing oil in a particular motor could effect the noise level. The only thing we know is that Ceretec reduces the noise to a level that most do not even notice it anymore.
It seemed to be and oil change phenomenon. After about 50 miles or more it wasn't even noticeable...like a lifter issue maybe. Don't other manufacturers also have the similar issue?

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Has anyone ever had the break in oil tested? Could it contain similar addictive like the Ceratec? Not trying to argue with one but almost everyone that gets their first oil change and has a tick, its because they get synthetic blend which is when they start hearing the tick. Since day one I have asked for full synthetic and with over 16,000 miles I still dont have any ticks.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Can you post a video with the sound you’re hearing? I’m wanting to try to catalog a lot of these so that we can see if they may, in fact, be slightly different issues (BBQ tick vs. typewriter tick).

Here is the sound of mine - which compares well with everyone who has the “typewriter tick“.

Sponsored