Sponsored

BBQ tick :(

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
It could be something as simple as assembly lube that gets in the oil. I believe it is oil cavitation that is the cause and assembly lube could vary the oil properties enough similar to what Ceratec does.

Do I think it can cause damage? Certainly...if it is happening in a critical area, which I do not think it is.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bammons88

bammons88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
It could be something as simple as assembly lube that gets in the oil. I believe it is oil cavitation that is the cause and assembly lube could vary the oil properties enough similar to what Ceratec does.

Do I think it can cause damage? Certainly...if it is happening in a critical area, which I do not think it is.
I didn't start this thread to beat a dead horse. The tick is what it is, if I have to drop some friction modifier in every 5k miles then so be it. I'm not worried about catastrophic engine failure etc..just wasn't expecting it after 3800 tick free miles..like I said it goes Saturday to get the LTHs installed, at that point whatever ticks or rattles are present should be a thing of the past, bc I won't hear them over the exhaust lol.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It directly did for me - did _not_ have it before - first noticed it the evening after my first oil change (wasn't looking for it - could hear it reverberating off the wall of the drive-through).

Why on earth are there so many people here insistent that the _many many many_ accounts of developing the tick after the first oil change are just "wrong". I don't get it.
No one said you were wrong, at least not me. Reports of the tick go back 4 years with the introduction of the Gen 3 motor. After a period of time we started getting reports that the tick started after an oil change. Sometimes the first, sometimes the second.

That said we do not have any proof there is a correlation between oil changes and the tick. Hell, we do not even know what the darn tick is much less when and where it starts.

By the way the reason I sent you that earlier thread is that there are a # of posted videos with the tick. I thought it might be helpful.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I didn't start this thread to beat a dead horse. The tick is what it is, if I have to drop some friction modifier in every 5k miles then so be it. I'm not worried about catastrophic engine failure etc..just wasn't expecting it after 3800 tick free miles..like I said it goes Saturday to get the LTHs installed, at that point whatever ticks or rattles are present should be a thing of the past, bc I won't hear them over the exhaust lol.
You had the best intentions Ben, but this topic hits a lot of folks buttons in a very bad way. At least you have accepted it and will be willing to try and reduce it. Good luck with the LTH's.

EDIT: By the way as I mentioned before, I had my original oil tested. Nothing extra was added to it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The tick starts back after an oil change. It goes away after oil ages. My car does not tick(old oil) and I am about to change oil. It will be back. Fourth oil change now. Has done it every time. Goes away and comes back.

The tick has been around since the coyote was introduced. It IS a characteristic of the engine and is normal. The gen 3 for various reasons amplifies it. That’s the end of this story.
:like: Right up to the next time someone posts about the tick.

1617139947574.png

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Hmmmmmm BBQ, can't wait to get me some....not sure I have ever had BBQ ticks though....guess they would fine be fine with some bacon!

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
For those of you that added Moly, do you add on top of 10 quarts of oil (for the Supercharged engines)?

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
but I still do not buy into the idea that the tick appears immediately after the first oil change nor that a certain friction modifier makes it disappear.
A certain friction modifier does indeed make it disappear and the amount of data saying it does is very large. I am part of that data. It was night and day and quite immediate. If the tick bothers you, there is a fix (to be clear from HEARING it) and the data that says it will cause you a problem are I believe to date non-existent. If I'm incorrect, I'm open to correction. I know what is "advised" and I know what "can" be voided. I've yet to hear of one instance where it bit a Ceratec user.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The paper says MC 5w-20 so I'm assuming blend since it was only listed as $4.97/qt
I thought the 2018 and up use MC 5w-30 exactly because of the tick. I think they even changed the owners manual in the section of what oil to use. So by the looks of it you have wrong oil in your car.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I thought the 2018 and up use MC 5w-30 exactly because of the tick. I think they even changed the owners manual in the section of what oil to use. So by the looks of it you have wrong oil in your car.
Nope. My manual says 5W-20, and so does my oil filler cap.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Modulom4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pascal
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 PP1, Ford Edge 2008 SEL
The paper says MC 5w-20 so I'm assuming blend since it was only listed as $4.97/qt
full synthetic 5w30 or 5w-50 you will be fine, no more tick